Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 469997 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #4940 on: September 22, 2020, 09:10:59 pm »
This morning my boss came to help me clean the bootpit with the grainvac and all of a sudden he rushed up the ladder and cut the pto. Just heard something was wrong. We end up stripping this machine down only to find that this piece of metal that originated from a straight tipper truck was in the grain leg and now stuck between the impeller of the grainvac.
Learn a lot here! Soon she was up and running. Pok we work 11 hrs a day now and i still got 4hrs 30 to go and lekker lam  :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4941 on: September 23, 2020, 02:57:33 am »
There are 2 things I cant like 90% agri workers do without, the pliers you'll see on every Tom, Sick and Harry.
It's a wrench, hammer and many other uses...oh, and pliers  :lol8:
The other my Leatherman wave, cant do without. Pliers get used atleast once a day up to the whole day throughout, the Learherman to less extend but once you need it it's a relieve you carry one! :)

I am beyond tired, helped somebody (a perfect stranger) till the morning hours with a work application online - H2a agri visa to work here next year or wherever the agent place him.
I had an old turbovite from SA still in my lunch bag for an emergency and today I used it.

We also got e-mails wrt flying back at the end of the contract and I must say it is quite something but I'll wait it out and see if something changes closer to the time. A recent not older than 72 hour covid neg test, quaranteen at own cost (list of countries and US and UK are listed) and some other rules and regularions....a mouth full but a lot can change in 3 months.

Goodnight  :)

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4942 on: September 23, 2020, 02:59:25 am »
PS: Those cement tubes in the background (grain elevators) are 140 feet high and range between 600 000 bushels and 860 000 bushels! That's huge! :3some:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4943 on: September 23, 2020, 03:20:31 am »
Last PS: this is what helps me through the night and day, all together sometimes with a motorbike kidney belt which supports the back.I am in the process of ordering a proper lower back support brace, very similar to a bike kidney belt but better.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4944 on: September 25, 2020, 04:09:04 am »
I took 2 pictures just to show where I dump trucks on the outside pit, we have inside pit's as well but sometimes we need to use a different grain leg for access to a certain drag and bin.
There are still many straight trucks (dump trucks) running in the States, but most farmers run semi's with super hoppers which hold a 1000 bushels.
Here is an example of both:

Enjoy your weekend! Mine will be work, today after only 4 days I'm already on 43hours for the week, and tomorrow night after normal working hours we have a train to load, Saturday will be a 11 hour day and Sunday afternoon a 5 hour day  :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4945 on: September 25, 2020, 10:18:09 pm »
How lucky we are, the train came at noon and we may be finished by 20H00 tonight  :)
That will help, get some proper rest tonight.
When we are loading train the Coop always buys lunch or supper. The take your order and phone it in to 'Highway nine' and go collect 30 min later.
I was never there but the honey must like my name because it always looks like a heart  :bueller:  :imaposer: ..... even though an upside down heart.
Lekker chicken wrap and cheese balls and think that sets the Coop back around $9.
Ok let me get on wit fipping lids!   :lol8:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4946 on: September 25, 2020, 11:32:14 pm »
Every load is a  1000 bushels of yellow corn or soy beans  :)
Great yields this year  :thumleft:

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #4947 on: September 26, 2020, 06:34:08 am »

I was never there but the honey must like my name because it always looks like a heart  :bueller:  :imaposer: ..... even though an upside down heart.

Very nice, Tom as long as you're certain of her being a honey  >:D

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4948 on: September 29, 2020, 11:46:10 pm »
We get so many different trucks, a 1973 International tipper with only 61 000 miles on it till the latest and greatest semi's :)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4949 on: September 30, 2020, 03:22:47 am »
you must go home with corn stuck in all parts of your clothing  :sip:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4950 on: September 30, 2020, 04:27:09 am »
you must go home with corn stuck in all parts of your clothing  :sip:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Corn dog  :deal:

Offline Garreths

« Reply #4951 on: September 30, 2020, 04:33:55 am »
Long shot here Tom... are you in Nebraska working for a coop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4952 on: September 30, 2020, 07:12:37 am »

Next door in Kansas I think.  :sip:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #4953 on: September 30, 2020, 10:04:17 am »
Hey Tom, if for some reason you can't go back next year this might be something for you to consider?

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=251887.0
For the love of it.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4954 on: September 30, 2020, 01:24:54 pm »

Yes working for farmers Cooperative and the HQ is based in NE but I am working in KS, Frankfort. However; when it is not harvesting season I also do my rounds in Fairbury up to Plymouth since I drive a semi - dry fertilizer tender or grain transfer.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4955 on: September 30, 2020, 01:37:39 pm »
Hey Tom, if for some reason you can't go back next year this might be something for you to consider?

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=251887.0

Thanks WD

A few weeks ago all of us had to go to Dorchester for a meeting where we were told that we are coming  back next year but in the meantime  it seems things have changed a bit.
I dont have enough facts to elaborate since I am also not sure what is just plain rumor and fact.
Enough smoke to make the group of H2a workers from SA a bit concerned bit nothing we can do to change and I will remain faithful and work hard to the en even if I get confirmation that we are not coming back.

I am keeping up, long hours, we are now open 12 hours a day six days a week and Sundays 5 hours in the afternoon.
I think I got the back at least for now sort of stable
I would love to come back if my back and body allows me since I like this work, but will find out Dec what is wrong with the back once back home with affordable medical care.

It scares me to think where next regardless how this contract ends and I will obviously look into every possibility,  thank you  :thumleft:

Offline Garreths

« Reply #4956 on: September 30, 2020, 01:43:48 pm »

Yes working for farmers Cooperative and the HQ is based in NE but I am working in KS, Frankfort. However; when it is not harvesting season I also do my rounds in Fairbury up to Plymouth since I drive a semi - dry fertilizer tender or grain transfer.
I think we may be working for the same coop... currently in Monroe, Nebraska

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4957 on: September 30, 2020, 08:10:06 pm »

I think we may be working for the same coop... currently in Monroe, Nebraska

Sent me a pm!! You have done the harvest Rodeo?
We will know each other if your a Saffer....Leon?
Dont get to see you guys up North.

Ps: And is your back holding?  :lol8:
1.1 million bushel the first 4 days of harvest was a gr8 introduction to this hectic albeit beutiful season. :thumleft:
Currently we filling our bunker which also takes 1.1 million bushels corn.
My number is +16202905530 whatsapp only, I dont answer a number I dont know because of all the spam calls.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4958 on: October 01, 2020, 03:48:51 am »
We have been filling our bunker (pile) today, started at around 10am and by 19H00 tonight it was already a spectacular sight. It always amazes me, even while I was hauling grain how fast you can get to 440 000 bushels. That is what we sometimes had to haul in a mater of days to fill either a bean, milk or corn train.
We dont do white corn but up at Jansen in Nebraska they do. The Mexicans also love their 'papa's and the coarse meal they call grits. I use that to make pap as well, and sometimes yellow corn.
Dont know if some of you can recall back in the day when SA had sanctions and couldn't import? That is when we got yellow and white corn mix meal and it became so popular that some mills kept making it on demand.
Maders butchery in Preroria sells it, as well as the best meat pies and that for many years.

Will see if I can get some pictures for you guys, not so easy at work but will put in some effort.
I spent quite a bit of time with my boss again working together in the bunker and we had some hectic times pulling tarps etc.
He bought us once again lunch today, lekker pizza.
Also asked him about the uncertainty about our jobs, mentioned the rumors and he seems pretty confident that we might come back but the issue apparently is the C19 thing where the SA Gov would not allow travel to certain countries and the US is listed and UK.
Going back is also a challenge to some extent, avalability of flights, C19 test in past 72hours and possible quarantine at own cost.
That is out of their control but ok there is time and a lot can change in the meantime.

Goodnight  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4959 on: October 02, 2020, 02:31:07 am »
If you cant go back to SA then you come down to Florida and stay here for a while.  :deal:  :thumleft:

Maybe buy a cheap Harley and go ride Route 66  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits