Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 467657 times)

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #5000 on: October 11, 2020, 10:09:33 am »
 :laughing4:  I'd be all confused with my right arm out da window
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #5001 on: October 11, 2020, 10:13:05 am »
I found that very weird getting used too in the US not having a place for me right elbow AND having to smoke with me left hand!! I am very dumb with my left hand. I "flicked" many a half smoked siggie out the window because not being used to smoking with the left hand. ;D ;D ;D :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #5002 on: October 11, 2020, 11:00:34 am »
I found that very weird getting used too in the US not having a place for me right elbow AND having to smoke with me left hand!! I am very dumb with my left hand. I "flicked" many a half smoked siggie out the window because not being used to smoking with the left hand. ;D ;D ;D :lol8:
Iím sure Iíd have the same problem, I donít smoke cigs anymore but Iíd be so confused getting used to driving in the opposite lane.
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #5003 on: October 11, 2020, 11:45:36 am »
Iím sure Iíd have the same problem, I donít smoke cigs anymore but Iíd be so confused getting used to driving in the opposite lane.

I thought the same, then due to work, I finished up driving in Europe regularly (like twice a month sometimes), it becomes a no issue very quickly, France was always an issue, in the cities no one has a garage, so narrow streets and cars parked both sides of the road  :o, I learnt to pick out a car going my way in the city and tag along with him.  :biggrin: I once got an Alpha as a hire car, it took two attempts to get the GPS loaded in English.  ::)
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #5004 on: October 11, 2020, 04:03:31 pm »
used to driving on the wrong damn side of the road!

Until you've driven on the correct side you cannot say!! ;)
A real man should not have his left elbow out the window, the right one is manlier AND makes flicking ash from your siggie much easier!! ;) :lol8:

Unless you're in a Chevy Spark, then both elbows are out the window.

We tend to drive both sides of the road these days with all our potholes.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5005 on: October 11, 2020, 04:52:31 pm »
used to driving on the wrong damn side of the road!

Until you've driven on the correct side you cannot say!! ;)
A real man should not have his left elbow out the window, the right one is manlier AND makes flicking ash from your siggie much easier!! ;) :lol8:

Unless you're in a Chevy Spark, then both elbows are out the window.

We tend to drive both sides of the road these days with all our potholes.

You can repeat that yes sir  :imaposer:

BO I an absolutely 100% confident in driving on the right, you dont even think about it even more but changing gears in a semi which is either a 10 or 13 speed was weird and took me a while to get used to.
Yet again I got used to it to the extend where I don't think about it anymore.
I love the roads in the USA, so beutifuly maintained and if you se a pothole the morning it will be fixed by noon.
The left turn lane is the best thing after sliced bread and then the yield at a red robot (you guys call it a traffic light  ::)  :lol8: )

What I was not used to on the country roads is due to snow and run off water the roads are elevated and there is no shoulder to pull over and get out of the way. If you run into mechanical issues you block one lane and if you run off the road (getting run off by someone texting like what happened to a trucker recently) you are 50% sure to roll that semi over.
Regardless, not bringing politics to the thread but I much prefer driving trucks in the States and would love to do that for the remainder of my career if only possible.
No worries of getting hijacked, shot at or loosing a load due to armed robbery or a truck getting burned because of protest or whatever madness.
I would much rather deal with steep runoffs and black ice conditions on the road.

The South Africans got a very good safety record in the States I was told by an agent on this side, and maybe because most are rather disciplined knowing that if you get into trouble here you changes are good that you loose out on a career and a big opportunity working in the States.

If only I knew of this and other opportunities earlier in live, I would have jumped at it!
I cant talk for the big cities, never been there but wherever I have been it's just a great experience.
Where i work and reside/travel you get that 'Wilde Weste' (Wild West) sense which is hard to try and capture in my English.

I got such a good relationship with most farmers and clients that they even start making jokes with me, mostly wave ore quickly jump out of the truck while I dump the grain to have a brieve chat.

My boss is still just the best i have ever worked under, for real.

I have read a company social media rule and regulations paper yesterday night which we all had to sign and just need to say this:
Disclaimer: Whatever I post and share is not the necessarily the view of the company but my own.
We are also not allowed to post in work hours, only after so I'll pay attention to this.

My thread is however loyal and I dont foresee any issues whatsoever but I will adhere to the rule and regulations.
Cheers  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5006 on: October 11, 2020, 05:42:19 pm »
We start working at 13H00 today, and farmers may bring them harvest till 5pm but well be loading a train.
It is just unreal to see how the corn and beans comes in daily!

Slept in, woke at 8am and decided to make some vetkoek today. My first vetkoek in the states and yummy with apricot jam!!

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #5007 on: October 11, 2020, 07:04:46 pm »
Niks verkeerd met n lekker vetkoek nie.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5008 on: October 13, 2020, 04:00:23 am »
We have loaded this Corn train starting 2am Monday morning and finishing 7.5 hours later. Then my boss gave us off to reboot, and that is what I did!
I hit the hay and got up at 17H00, cooked food for 3 days ahead, washed my work bakkie and moved the lawn - then I ran the movers carb empty since this would be the last use for the season.
It is fall, and now is the most beautiful time of the year to me in KS with all the flaming trees and colours!

I kinda like the second picture, taken with a cheap $89 all manual focus Meike 35mm lens on my Fuji XT1
Have a gr8 day!  :thumleft:

PS: The medication of the doctor is finally working, today was the first day in a long while without any back pain other that a slight stiffness that reminds me it's still there - be careful.

Offline Takashi

« Reply #5009 on: October 13, 2020, 07:16:44 am »
Hey Tom, I am glad your back is feeling better but please remember to keep protecting it.

I have had back problems all my life and the only thing that brought me relief was getting my core stronger and training my body to know the back is the weak point.

Lovely pictures by the way. Keep them coming.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5010 on: October 13, 2020, 01:28:06 pm »
Hey Tom, I am glad your back is feeling better but please remember to keep protecting it.

I have had back problems all my life and the only thing that brought me relief was getting my core stronger and training my body to know the back is the weak point.

Thanks for the good advice, I just could not manage any excercises with the pain but now under control I can actually start working on the core!  :thumleft:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #5011 on: October 13, 2020, 01:49:37 pm »
Tom, this is complete bro-science, but I would strongly recommend that you have good look at TRT (Testosterone replacement therapy) - and rather than faffing around probably try it out for 2 -3 months. Look it upon google and youtube - plenty of testimonials (positive and negative).

My reasoning:
- Hormones are key for your well-being and they naturally decrease with age.
- Testosterone is anabolic steroid and as such support muscle growth. And you need muscles to support your core. So why not get additional boost - you might not even need to exercise much, the manual labor you do could be enough. And before you get all squeamish about steroids - you will grow horns only if you take horse doses. Standard TRT generally restores your testosterone levels to about 30 years old man's natural levels.
- Testosterone provides serious improvements in mood regulation (depression), PTSD treatment, etc. I have seen video I cannot find now where US veterans use it and get serious relief from PTSD, TBI and such.

I have a hunch that this might give you proper boost - both in terms of mental, as well as physical well-being. Full disclosure - I am not on TRT. But I am considering it being 48 even though I do not suffer from serious issues, as it seems to have ability to improve ones quality of life the older one is. So why not try to get max out of life?

My 2c - and as I said - complete bro-science based on mostly anecdotes for example from Joe Rogan.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 01:51:28 pm by Xpat »

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #5012 on: October 13, 2020, 01:58:49 pm »

Agree 100%. Ps core strengthening does not mean super ripped abs.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #5013 on: October 13, 2020, 02:03:30 pm »
OK, found video of Joe Rogan discussing hormone replacement therapy available to US military veterans and its benefits:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5014 on: October 15, 2020, 03:49:30 am »
OK, found video of Joe Rogan discussing hormone replacement therapy available to US military veterans and its benefits:

Martin you may never know how much this video said, so much that I had to fw it to a fellow veteran.
I will look into options once back in SA around mid Dec, thanks.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5015 on: October 15, 2020, 04:01:30 am »
Do you guys that do work with your hands use gloves?
As a young man I had very rough hands which was sometimes annoying and  even my surgical gloves would have caught on the skin resulting in tearing and loss off sensation.

So after years of only being a medic they softened up with the use of body lotion and so on.
Now back in manual labour I have once again dry skin in the hands, a bit rough and I realized why everyone is always working with gloves but what an annoyance to find a pair that works and dit ok!

About 2 weeks back my boss gave me yet another pair to try, and finally I got the perfect fit and I can actually work with these gloves. I never take it off, only for eating and a nr1.
Only thing though, they will not last more than 4 weeks sure thing!!

Tomorrow we get an interesting one; bean train with 135 train cars unlike the usual 110. That may take us about 9 hours to load but I kind of like loading the train. The only bad part of train loading is when you are getting tired (long hours) and worse when there is ice on top of the cars a d the lids are iced sealed....pok that's kark!!  :lol8:

Dont say something, I know I know.....gained a lot of pounds but I'm physically stronger and that helps!  :biggrin:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5016 on: October 15, 2020, 04:08:43 am »
PS: one of my pictures was used by the company on their fb page, despite the lens flare I got. Such a shame I was in a hurry that morning when I took the picture because it could have been way better.
Still love photography and hope to learn and enjoy it in the near future.

The following users thanked this post: BullFrog

Offline Splash

« Reply #5017 on: October 15, 2020, 07:12:03 am »
Well done with your picture being used. I think it looks better with the flare.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #5018 on: October 15, 2020, 07:14:27 am »
Ek is bly jy het bietjie gewig aangesit. Toe jy so maer was het jy skoon siek gelyk....amper gedink jy het n slow puncture.
Nou lyk jy weer mens. :laughing4:
Onthou n lorrie kan nie op n leŽ tenk ry nie. Jy het brandstof nodig. :3some:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #5019 on: October 15, 2020, 09:56:55 am »
Tom, regarding your hands. Gloves may be the solution but O'Keefe's Working Hands hand cream is the stuff to have. It has stopped my hands from simply cracking open all over the place leaving my hands sore and prone to  sores that simply just don't go away unless I stop working for them for a while.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.