Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 468199 times)

Offline Sam

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #5040 on: October 16, 2020, 05:33:48 pm »
Saw the Agulhas sailing past here at about 14h00 this afternoon  - must be on its way to collect them.

Tom - at least it wasn't you having to dive in with your survival suit to drag them off the boat this time around....!

The following users thanked this post: woody1, Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5041 on: October 16, 2020, 06:29:36 pm »
Saw the Agulhas sailing past here at about 14h00 this afternoon  - must be on its way to collect them.

Tom - at least it wasn't you having to dive in with your survival suit to drag them off the boat this time around....!

Indeed Sam

We were extremely busy these days, or rather are and especially having a very hectic morning but my mind kept wondering off to the Island and that particular ship and there or many pictures of that very ship on this thread.
When I got a change this morning (rather briefly) I had to call Santjie who was with me on Marion and Gough island.
I got tremendous respect for her mildly put, some will recall Santjie and my hike to the Glen where we had enough's adventure and faced life threatening scenarios enough to write a book.

She share my sentiment on that very ship and regardless of the mountain heap of respect I have for her captain there was always this bitter taste in the mouth we could not get rid of.
I have seen quite a bit of the impact that these fishing vessels have and I know...live and let live but still.

Wrt the crew now on the island, I cant stress out how sensitive ecological environment that is and the impact of all these guys suddenly in the confines of the base and surrounding areas with especially one big concern by name the alien plant invasion 'Sagina'. To control this you need strong leadership, support and discipline from each and every hand.

Then the other environmental issues like fuel, oil and plastic....pok people this is not good  :'(
She went under at the North where yet another old wooden shipwreck is located and everyone knows (should) that the North is almost Always choppy and dangerous water.

As you can tell I'm holding back to spill all my emotions because it may land me into trouble which I suffered enough already on behalf of that I care about.

Let's hope that the RSPB and the Tristan Administration will make the best decision for the island, but I think she should be closed down from all activity after the mouse eradication (whenever) for good. Only leave an automated methodological station and close the door.

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #5042 on: October 17, 2020, 10:01:47 pm »
There are 2 things I cant like 90% agri workers do without, the pliers you'll see on every Tom, Sick and Harry.
It's a wrench, hammer and many other uses...oh, and pliers  :lol8:
The other my Leatherman wave, cant do without. Pliers get used atleast once a day up to the whole day throughout, the Learherman to less extend but once you need it it's a relieve you carry one! :)

I am beyond tired, helped somebody (a perfect stranger) till the morning hours with a work application online - H2a agri visa to work here next year or wherever the agent place him.
I had an old turbovite from SA still in my lunch bag for an emergency and today I used it.

We also got e-mails wrt flying back at the end of the contract and I must say it is quite something but I'll wait it out and see if something changes closer to the time. A recent not older than 72 hour covid neg test, quaranteen at own cost (list of countries and US and UK are listed) and some other rules and regularions....a mouth full but a lot can change in 3 months.

Goodnight  :)
In got my Cresent pliers in the Us in 2001. At first I thiught it was a very shitty pair of pliers, then I learnt hownhandy it was! Today it lives in the door pocket in my bakkie.

At some point I ground a screw driver from the one handle. All I can remember that metal was VERY hard!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5043 on: October 18, 2020, 03:57:09 am »
There are 2 things I cant like 90% agri workers do without, the pliers you'll see on every Tom, Sick and Harry.
It's a wrench, hammer and many other uses...oh, and pliers  :lol8:
The other my Leatherman wave, cant do without. Pliers get used atleast once a day up to the whole day throughout, the Learherman to less extend but once you need it it's a relieve you carry one! :)

I am beyond tired, helped somebody (a perfect stranger) till the morning hours with a work application online - H2a agri visa to work here next year or wherever the agent place him.
I had an old turbovite from SA still in my lunch bag for an emergency and today I used it.

We also got e-mails wrt flying back at the end of the contract and I must say it is quite something but I'll wait it out and see if something changes closer to the time. A recent not older than 72 hour covid neg test, quaranteen at own cost (list of countries and US and UK are listed) and some other rules and regularions....a mouth full but a lot can change in 3 months.

Goodnight  :)
In got my Cresent pliers in the Us in 2001. At first I thiught it was a very shitty pair of pliers, then I learnt hownhandy it was! Today it lives in the door pocket in my bakkie.

At some point I ground a screw driver from the one handle. All I can remember that metal was VERY hard!

Hands of a working man, with a tool in hand I can't function without a day :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:57:36 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5044 on: October 18, 2020, 04:04:52 am »
Today was one hectic day, but I enjoyed the madness :lol8:
Went to the other grain elevator to help offload trucks with the swing augur into a 600 000bushels bunker.
Emptied and transferred weed from one bin to another and then....... :-\ :biggrin: a top-drag failed and caused the leg to 'backleg'
I had to dig it out to get her running again, and being short on staff today it was only the 3 of us and my boss.
the 3 = me, myself and Tom  :imaposer:
Pok I have started on a cement floor and end up burying me legs knee deep in the grain and still she refused to fire up - It took another effort but finally she back on line  ;D

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5045 on: October 18, 2020, 04:13:05 am »
Since I have been on this treatment for my back my mood is so much better, regardless of a couple of other side effects like waking up with a dry mouth and a bit of insomnia - early morning hours. Back is so much better, do feel it at times but if it can just last throughout the harvest it will be great.
I got a tremendious amount of energy all of a sudden, it's like my days are too short......pok I know cortizone is evil shit but currently its doing a lot of good in my old frame  :thumleft:

My boss gave me off for tomorrow, so I'll finish my adventure novel tonight and sleep in and maybe go on a long bike ride with the camera depending on the weather.....Winter is on us!

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #5046 on: October 18, 2020, 07:01:19 am »
Mooi fotos.
Geniet jou rusdag
Dalk n lekker steak met bloukaas :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #5047 on: October 18, 2020, 02:49:31 pm »
The art of cracking the bottom of the hopper just big enough to keep up with the auger!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:16:52 pm by thabogrobler »

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #5048 on: October 18, 2020, 02:52:46 pm »
Went to the other grain elevator to help offload trucks with the swing augur into a 600 000bushels bunker.
Emptied and transferred weed from one bin to another and then.
Maybe try some of the weed....medicinally, you know!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5049 on: October 18, 2020, 05:30:32 pm »
The art of ctacking the bottom of the hopper just big eniugh to keep up with the auger!

Yes with that swing augur you got to be wide awake!  :lol8:

Emptied and transferred weed from one bin to another and then.
Maybe try some of the weed....medicinally, you know!

My Engkish spellin :lol8: Wheat it should read  :)

Mooi fotos.
Geniet jou rusdag
Dalk n lekker steak met bloukaas :thumleft:

Vetkoek  :thumleft:

https://www.facebook.com/1417338786/posts/10224296344462397/

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #5050 on: October 18, 2020, 05:37:37 pm »
Enjoy the day off and I am glad that your back is better!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5051 on: October 18, 2020, 11:20:53 pm »
Enjoy the day off and I am glad that your back is better!

Thank you Hennie  :thumleft:

I baked 'vetkoek' and mince and went on a 5km bike ride, came back and trimmed/cut my hair and done a bit of housekeeping.
With the hours we've been working there was just no time, also picked the last tomatoes of my vegetable garden today.
Drinking craft beer slowly and relaxing with a local adventure bike magazine by name: 'ADVMOTO'
Live is good  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5052 on: October 20, 2020, 03:09:45 am »
Today B&H made a delivery @ work; my new Viltrox 23mm (35mm equivalent in full frame) F1.4 auto focus lens.
I got it for the bargain price of $320 which is 1/3 of the fujinon 23mm f1.4 but produces in many in the know the same quality images. I thought to add to my collection with some of the extra time money I've been saving.

I can't wait to put this baby to work but pok man, worked 11 hrs today (got sent home early because we loaded train) and tomorrow work, tomorrow night train but eventually it will calm down.
Just an enormous harvest this year in Kansas and Nebraska!

Goodnight  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5053 on: October 21, 2020, 04:35:00 am »
Last night I just laughed,  this one youngster living in our house and working at the other grain elevator was so tired that he fell asleep after drinking a Redbull  :laughing4:
I notice that everyone is getting tired now, and it's normal but harvest should be another 2 or so weeks and that's it. Then we should return to normal hours of 7H30 to 17h00 and loading trains may be 1 or 2 a week opposed to 4 a week currently since mid Sept.

Here is a picture albeit a poor cellphone picture of a dumping truck that holds over a 1000 bushels corn. That is 25 tons of corn and we take less than 4 minutes to get it through the pit, drags into the silo!

Goodnight

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #5054 on: October 21, 2020, 09:04:57 pm »
It is so lekker if you can offload a truck quickly.

I remember at one stage we ran to an elevator somewhere in southern Nebraska that could handle big load chop-chop. You would drive up over the pit and as fast as the guy can open the hopper the corn would just run. Basically by the time the hopper was 100% open it was empty, then just moved to the next hopper and you are your way. But I guess it is only the newer elevators that can handle those volumes at those speeds?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5055 on: October 22, 2020, 01:32:02 pm »
It is so lekker if you can offload a truck quickly.

I remember at one stage we ran to an elevator somewhere in southern Nebraska that could handle big load chop-chop. You would drive up over the pit and as fast as the guy can open the hopper the corn would just run. Basically by the time the hopper was 100% open it was empty, then just moved to the next hopper and you are your way. But I guess it is only the newer elevators that can handle those volumes at those speeds?

At some of our locations we still have those pits that can handle or take 11000 bushels (just over 25 tons of grain) but although you are able to empty both front and rear hopper all at once the grain will now sit in that pit for 4 minutes while either a conveyor or paddle drag will take it to the leg, the leg will run it 150 feet up to the distributer and then another top drag which is either gravity or conveyor depending on the path you set will dump the grain now into the tube (bin/silo)

They decided in the very modern facilities to do always with a pit that can hold an entire semi truck load because now a days most trucks run on air suspention which is convenient because you can see once you have learned to read your gauges exactly how heavy you are load which free up a lot of time not having to drive in circles and bleed off overweight or top up because you hit the road. It has become very efficient but regardless weather we first dump air on the truck before dumping the load they prefer a fast offload but not like totally "boom!" Dump. Even as you may recall the spring suspention (leaves) can make some gnarly pop and clap sounds when you dump so fast

So the new drags and legs are keeping up, hence the avg of a 4 minute dump vs all at once but yes I have also been at sites where guys do that from time to time.  :thumleft:

It was cold and raining yesterday and 8 hours on top of that train was like being high in the mountains in the rain and wind on Gough island  :lol8: but all good  :thumleft:
Maybe it will snow on one of our train loading days and I'll get great pics I'm sure  :3some:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5056 on: October 22, 2020, 01:39:59 pm »
Still working full 12 hour days but I think it may start quieting down in 2 weeks now. We started harvest on 14th Sept

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #5057 on: October 22, 2020, 01:40:14 pm »
I detect a better place you are in Tom.  :thumleft:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5058 on: October 22, 2020, 07:43:27 pm »
I'm spoiled a bit, they needed a dry fertilizer tender driver this morning and my boss gave me the honours :laughing4:
My back is doing fairly ok, even after opening 110 railcars yesterday but man this is cool do have a trucks cab for an office today.
I am quite impressed that I could still remember how to opperate this type of tender because there is augers and some sequences to follow or you may plug and shear bolts  :lol8:
I'll probably be done at around 16 or 17pm and then go dump trucks till 19H00.
Life sure is treating me well  :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 03:16:01 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #5059 on: October 22, 2020, 07:47:22 pm »
 :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600