Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Passes that bikers love  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Trygve Roberts

Passes that bikers love
« on: September 04, 2014, 03:55:22 pm »
This week we offer three brilliant passes that bikers love. Each one is suited to a different kind of bike. What's your favourite?

This week we feature some beautiful passes for the biking fraternity. Mount Carmel, Verlatenkloof and Studtis Poort - each one uniquely different to the other, but all of them are gems. Check them out here:

http://www.mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/

Online THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
Re: Passes that bikers love
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 04:12:53 pm »
Where are they

what province

Otherwise I have to go through each province

Should have some search engine if you are to direct us to this site. Or a link to the page in question

Just a suggestion!!!

Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Online THROTTLE JOCKEY

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:19:22 pm »
Also

If you have ridden it can you not also put the gdb route in so we can also go and follow your footsteps. Yes I see the start and end GPS co-ord's but that might not be enough. Particularly when a pass is part of a existing route. Or am I missing it somewhere?

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline ChinaPete

• 乘风破浪
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 04:30:20 pm »
Where are they

what province

Otherwise I have to go through each province

Should have some search engine if you are to direct us to this site. Or a link to the page in question

Just a suggestion!!!

or you could read the very first article entitled Latest News, click on the 'Read more' button.........

We bring you a diverse range of passes again this week with our main feature being on the Northern Cape.

[Expand this page to access the links, by clicking on the photo, the title or the green READ MORE button]

1. We are processing our last batch of videos on the Northern Cape this week and we feature one of the big tarred passes - The Verlatenkloof Pass, which has the strange privelege of bearing two route numbers - The R354 and the R356. This big altitude gaining pass rises up the Roggeveld Mountains and is subject to regular snowfalls and road closures. Who was William Hesketh and how did Thomas Bain get involved with this pass? Answers are on the page.

2. We then haul you off into the Eastern Cape for a very wet drive through the Baviaanskloof - and more specifically the Studtis Poort. Here you can drive through the lowest crime area in South Africa and marvel at the wonders of this beautiful poort. Don't let our video put you off - It's not normally that wet there!

3. Mount Carmel Pass is part of the Drakensberg escarpment in Mpumalanga on a minor gravel road and you're going to need to be in a 4x4 do tackle this one. We take you on a simulated helicopter fly-past to check out what's in store before you decide to drive it.

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:17:11 pm »
I've subscribed to your newsletter, Trygve (had to google the pronunciation ;D) and always look forward to seeing new updates

Really informative and well presented. Thank you

Now just to find the time to actually visit the passes

Offline Trygve Roberts

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 10:44:11 am »
Rather than paste a range of hyperlinks, I simply put the web address to click, which takes you to the home page, where the very first item is the Latest News entry. If you open that page, all the hyperlinks appear with a short description for each and in which province they are (as explained so eloquently by ChinaPete above).

The site has a pretty cool SEARCH facility as well. It appears top right of every page. This is really the smart way to navigate on the site (which has almost 400 pages at this stage). We also recommend reading our HELP page which fully describes how to get the most out of the site.

Every pass (well, almost every one) has a route file with .gdb extension. Anyone who is REGISTERED on the site gets access to those as well as receives the news item prompt delivered each Thursday to your desktop per email. The process for downloading the route files is also explained in the HELP section.

Any other questions?

Online THROTTLE JOCKEY

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 03:05:03 pm »
Rather than paste a range of hyperlinks, I simply put the web address to click, which takes you to the home page, where the very first item is the Latest News entry. If you open that page, all the hyperlinks appear with a short description for each and in which province they are (as explained so eloquently by ChinaPete above).

The site has a pretty cool SEARCH facility as well. It appears top right of every page. This is really the smart way to navigate on the site (which has almost 400 pages at this stage). We also recommend reading our HELP page which fully describes how to get the most out of the site.

Every pass (well, almost every one) has a route file with .gdb extension. Anyone who is REGISTERED on the site gets access to those as well as receives the news item prompt delivered each Thursday to your desktop per email. The process for downloading the route files is also explained in the HELP section.

Any other questions?

Thank you for that. Registered and with a bit of playing around I got what I wanted. Thanks

Offline Trygve Roberts

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 05:03:56 pm »
Ah great! Another happy customer....

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »
This is a nice surprise! I have been following your youtube videos for a while. Love the info in them. Keep up the good work
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online THROTTLE JOCKEY

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 11:46:01 am »
Overlooking the sarcasm  :patch: and here is something for those that have not got it already. Please see attached. I upload this every time before I plan a route. Shows all the passes. Might be useful to some?   :deal:

Offline KTM Kev

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 02:14:51 pm »
Wow Throttle, thanks for this ....  :thumleft:
Sure will be useful in route planning!!

Offline Bells Angel

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Young at heart, slightly older in other places
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 07:32:52 pm »
Well done Throttle, our Greyhound Chief route planner, navigator & sometimes brown bottle emptier.
We look forward to some interesting new rides... ;)

Online Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
Passes that bikers love
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 09:18:47 pm »
Overlooking the sarcasm  :patch: and here is something for those that have not got it already. Please see attached. I upload this every time before I plan a route. Shows all the passes. Might be useful to some?   :deal:

:imaposer: I do the same to see how many passes can be ridden each time!

Online THROTTLE JOCKEY

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 04:10:09 pm »
Well done Throttle, our Greyhound Chief route planner, navigator & sometimes brown bottle emptier.
We look forward to some interesting new rides... ;)

The next one is the winterberg. Not a long one but its the next one.  :deal:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=156665.msg3018568;topicseen#new