This is why farmers get peed off at motorcyclists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorsland

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I have a dirt road that runs through my farm for about 4 km.  For about half of this, there are no livestock fences - a common practice in the Karoo where grazing camps are large and fencing expensive.  At each end of the farm where the road enters the farm, I have cattle grids with large yellow and black signs asking people to please drive slowly.  There are another 2 cattle grids where grazing camp fences cross the road.  My house sits almost right alongside the road, not a problem as it is a very quiet road used largely by my 2 neighbours further on.  Some weeks go by when around 2 cars may travel the road.

I use these grazing camps as part of my grazing system and am currently running my spring kidding ewes in one of these camps.

So this afternoon while busy in the kraals,  I hear a bike coming along, sounds like a KTM something with pipes on it. Then I hear more bikes coming.  Ends up around 15 bikes including KTM 1150s,  a few GSs, an 800 GS or two and a few more KTM 990 or similar come tearing past my house.  Looks like none of the fools can read, nor do they care about slowing it down to an acceptable speed, they certainly don't consider anyone or anything else.  

BECAUSE WE ARE BIG BADASS BIKERS AND WE ARE ON AN ADVENTURE so screw everybody else.

They scared the crap out of my kids I have in the kidding pens, left a good cloud of dust hanging over everything, sent my 2IBs chickens and geese scrambling for cover and off they went, raucous pipes, dust cloud, badass attitude and all.  Normally we are bringing this flock of pregnant ewes in to the kraals around this time but we were later than usual as we are finishing up some other work.  Otherwise these jerks may have run into a flock of over 100 ewes slap bang in the middle of their race track.

Next time you ride through a farmer's farm, consider that you are riding across private property. Yes, public roads do traverse farms and you have a right to travel that road. However, the land over which the road crosses is private property so respect that. Show a bit of respect for other people's property and their livestock while enjoying yourself.  All it asks of you is to slow down to a reasonable speed, be aware that there is a good chance livestock is grazing in those camps, take into consideration that there may be slow moving tractors, flocks or herds of animals, horses, bakkies, dogs, poultry and other hazards.

As I have stated on this forum a number of times before:  Respect other people

Failing this, you may want to Google the term caltrop.  The closest town is 64km from me.  It could be a long push and I certainly won't be offering my transport services if you come screaming past here like an idiot again.

I hope they are Dawgs and read this

Attachments

• Ry stadig.jpg
    Ry stadig.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,382