R1200GS VS R1150GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
I was about to buy one of these, but then I let it go for reasons. There's a lot of questions I have, so if you don't mind, please provide some insight. There's been okes that have had the R1150GS, and went for a R1200GS (probably most of you). Then, there's some that had the R1200GS, and sold it to go back to the R1150GS (there's a few).

I will later get myself the R1200GS (maybe a 2009 or something). There's a lot of talk about reliability. Images of a odometer on a R1150GS with 400 000km on, and generally R1150GS owners think their bikes are ultra reliable. Typically, they love the pigs, and would not trade it for anything else.

I might not exactly feel the same. Went an test rode a 2005 R1200GS, and loved it. So, let's tackle the first thing: reliability

I see a thread on a rebuild, well done to the WD who accomplished that feat! We don't have many rebuilds on the R11XXGS thread, but I think there have been an issue with big ends. In your experience, especially those of you who've had a R1150GS, how is the reliability of the R1200GS? Will it last you 10-15 years? (should you be stuck with it)

Then, R1150GS riders are also known for doing typical and even not-so-typical maintenance on their bikes. Is it the same here? I've heard that it's not really more difficult to work on a R1200GS (depending on the year model). Do you guys do this, typical maintenance yourselves? Also, how often are you in need of a computer for the bike?

Then...there seems to be a perception about R1150GS riders, and of R1200GS ones. What is the difference, and why? I guess we typically don't have lots of money, some R1200GS riders might (maybe the WD with LCs, but they've got their own thread). I see however that R1200GSs can be picked up rather 'cheaply', hence my initial decision to get one. R1150GS riders work on their bikes, it's not too complicated, R1200GS riders don't always work on their bikes, it's more complicated. R1150GS riders wear crocs, R1200GS riders are kitted out from the BMW store - there's stereotypes, add a comment, I don't want to offend anyone. R1150GS riders can make a plan in the bush to get their bike running, R1200GS riders call BMW to come change a tyre...not what I think, these are stereotypes (not discussed on the R1150GS thread, but have heard such sentiments)

Lastly, why would you never give up your R1200GS to go back to the R1150GS (if this applies)