R80G/S - brake light not working - Sorted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pietas

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Airheads,

my brake light has stopped working. It happened last week. Scrathed around on Saterday and got it working again. Went for a ride yesterday and it stopped working again. Checked the same things I did on Saterday but nothing

What I did check:
- fuse is functional. Back light and indicators do work.
- globe is working and both filaments are whole.  The back/ park / reg number light do work
- checked that all the connections are clean and properly connected at both the swithes as well as the globe
- as far as I know my bike has a new main wiring loom. None of the other wiring is new
- the switches I suspect is still original
- nothing is loose or broken
- neither switch activates the brake light

What I have not been able to do to check connectivity. I don't have a multi-meter ( nor do I know what to do with it either)

Any ideas, things I can check?

Update
I went the the bright hardware store and bought a UNI-T multimeter. It has a continuity setting with buzzer. Easy enough to use

I checked the following:
- front switch on its own works, segment of wires connecting with loom works individually and combined with switch
- back swith on its own works, segment of wires connecting with loom works individually and combined with switch
- back light unit has continuity internally and combined with segment of wires connecting with main loom
- the various wires in main loom (green with red, green with black and brown) has continuity at varoius exit points on the loom
- connecting the front brake only has continuity to the back
- connecting the back brake only has continuity to the front
- the brown wires has continuity at the various places they connect
- combining everything, the brake light still don't light up

What more can I check or do?

Solution
Issue with dirty connector block on backlight/ brakelight loom. No connection between front and back of block.
Cleaned it with electric cleaner and happiness

Will replace all the old wiring and connector blocks with new ones