International Drivers licence question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawieMAN

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi guys.

My wife and I will be starting our Cape Town – Egypt bike trip in a little less than one year from now. To say that we are excited is an understatement!

We will both be riding our own motorcycles.

But we have a driver licence issue that I can’t seem to find clear answers on.  ???
The situation is a little complex to explain so I will try to do my best to explain it as clearly as possible.
Just let me know if there are any questions...

So:

My wife and I are both South African citizens.
I have my South African motorcycle license so I am sorted.

We don’t live in South Africa any more – we reside in Taiwan now (for the last 4.5 years) and my wife has a legal Taiwanese motorcycle licence.
But we still have South African Passports and we will be using them when doing our trip.

So my wife has a legal Taiwanese International Drivers Licence and she has used her Taiwanese International Drivers Licence when renting and doing motorcycle trips in some other Asian countries without any problems.

I did not think that it was going to be a problem if she rides with an international licence that is not from the same country as her passport. But I recently read somewhere that in Yemen you need an International Drivers Licence that is from the SAME country as your passport.
Now we won’t be going to Yemen but it will definitely be a serious mood killer if we get denied entry at a border because of that that issue.

Can anybody please shine some light for me on the subject or point me in the right direction where I can find some more definite answers?

At the moment the countries we will be passing through are
South Africa
Namibia
Botswana
Zambia
Mozambique
Malawi
Tanzania
Uganda
Kenya
Ethiopia
North Sudan