Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bezuidenhout's Pass, Verloren Valley (VIDEO ADDED!!!)  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Minxy

Re: Bezuidenhout's Pass, Verloren Valley, Normandien and a secret jeep Track.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 08:57:02 am »
Is it just me but I much prefer going up passes like this than going down??

I also prefer up

I always thought going down these kinda passes was easier. Bezuidenhouts proved me wrong though. It was really hectic. Going up you can do it a bit more controlled I guess, but then again you do need to keep momentum and there are some seriously big rocks and step ups to go over. I don't know lol :D
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Old Mill Drift -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234804.0

Offline Pom17

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 09:33:29 am »
Looking great :thumleft: :thumleft:

I did it just over a year ago in the rain going down and back up. Would love to go back again one day. One of my absolute favourite rides that I have ever done.

Will even post a few pics if someone wants to see what it looks like when its wet :ricky: . But dont want to high jack this exciting thread

Please do share with us :)

It was a lekker ride indeed. Really damm scary in some places, but also very fulfilling when you finish it.
We did it this past weekend as the rainy season will be upon us soon, I can only imagine how disastrous it can get there when you throw water into the mix :o

Loving this RR. This is exactly the type of riding I like  :thumleft: :thumleft:

I had to use my cell to take pics. So only had time for a few pics when I dropped the bike and could rest. The rest of the time I had to keep the momentum going. Daai modder was snot glad. And once I stopped I struggled to get going again. The rockier parts were actually easier since it provided some form of grip

On the way there. Also gaoing down first and then back up

Going back up

It did not rain on me. Its all sweat from trying to get going in the mud and repeatedly picking up the bike. Sometimes when I got it going again the back would spin out and I'll be facing downhill again. So I would then go down. Turn around and start all over

I got stuck here for quite some time

The bike when I finally made it home

With a new smiley that I could fit my pinky into

Offline Minxy

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 09:51:33 am »
Ok, so we wake up really keen to do this secret servitude road near Memel. HSK goes outside to look over the bikes and what does he find!? Another flat on his rear tyre... OMG this is not funny anymore. He starts saying maybe we should rather pack up the bikes and get home early. I manage to sway him with my big eyes and puppy face which says "Please, please, please can we go riding?". Hehe, needles to say we start fixing up the puncture. HSK thinks maybe the valve tore. I inflate the tube and quickly see there is actually another hole. Turns out he picked up another rusty nail somewhere, eish.

With the bike all fixed up, we head out :)

Some pics of what the locals call the Memel Table mountain.

Please do excuse my helmet hair.

We follow the S17 just outside of Memel for about 21km before getting to 3 obscure gates. Chris told us to take the middle one and we do just that. This servitude road goes through some private land and one doesn't want to get into too much trouble, so we stick to the route best we can. This is where the real fun starts as well, and the next 28km consists of deeply rutted "twee spoor" tracks, humps, ditches, stony river fords and a steep slope. This to me feels like real adventure riding and is such a highlight in our trip :)

At a view point.

You can see the road in the distance.

A few rocky roads and we get to the "swemgat". I would have jumped in for sure if the water wasn't so cold hehe.

The last bit of the service road before heading out back towards the R34 and Memel.

All in all this was a fantastic trip. Real eye opener to how bad some of our roads and passes have gotten, but at the same time a fun and interesting challenge. I really enjoy the beauty of the Free State and can't wait to come ride here again :)
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Old Mill Drift -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234804.0

Offline Jackol.

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re:
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 08:44:23 pm »
Very nice report! Thanx for sharing! Well done!!!!
Time wait for no man

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 09:19:21 pm »
Looks like epic fun!
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Minxy

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 09:38:04 pm »
Shjoe Pom17, just had a good look at your pics now.

That's hectic! I wouldn't want to do it in those conditions. Was difficult enough when it was dry :P

Respect!  :thumleft:
Ride Reports:

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 10:11:22 pm »
Lekker roetes  :thumleft:
Groot berge en lang grond paaie

Offline Pom17

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:28 pm »

That's hectic! I wouldn't want to do it in those conditions. Was difficult enough when it was dry :P

Hahaha. Ja I wouldn't do it in the wet alone again. But proper fun. Have actually never tried going up when it was dry and I have done it a few times. So would like to go back one day

But once again great report and respect for doing it. I am sure it must be some record. Dont think any woman has attempted that pass never mind doing it with a big adv bike.  :thumleft:

Offline Hondsekierie

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 10:22:01 pm »

Hahaha. Ja I wouldn't do it in the wet alone again. But proper fun. Have actually never tried going up when it was dry and I have done it a few times. So would like to go back one day

But once again great report and respect for doing it. I am sure it must be some record. Dont think any woman has attempted that pass never mind doing it with a big adv bike.  :thumleft:

You are right Pom :thumleft:

As far as I know many women have attempted it but none have succeeded by themselves. 

I stand to be corrected though

(PS:  The Minx is one tuff cookie ;))
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Crazy Biker Chick

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 10:50:00 pm »

I did it on the 13 Feb this year on a XT 600!!!

Offline Minxy

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 02:36:17 pm »

I did it on the 13 Feb this year on a XT 600!!!

Oh wow awesome!!! Great to see more lady riders tackling the tough stuff :)
Ride Reports:

Offline Hondsekierie

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 03:09:23 pm »

You are right Pom :thumleft:

As far as I know many women have attempted it but none have succeeded by themselves. 

I stand to be corrected though

(PS:  The Minx is one tuff cookie ;))

What I meant and still stand to be corrected :thumleft:

Offline Master Beerkie

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Master Beerkie
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 03:30:08 pm »
Julle tweekies maak my kots  :biggrin:
A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.

Presently: KH250, GT550, KLE500, 620 Duke, 950 Adv
Previously: TS185 (plaasbike), PE250, 420KDX, 450KDX, 600 Pantah, 1000 Jota (180), XRV 750

Offline Fearless

• Shop Mods
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 03:58:28 pm »
Baie geluk,  maar julle moet terugkom as dit gereen het. Ons wereld is nou maar vaal en droog.
Ek is as gevolg van wat ek glo. 2006 Suzuki Burgman 400, 2010 Honda Transalp 700AV.

Offline Hondsekierie

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 05:54:41 pm »
Baie geluk,  maar julle moet terugkom as dit gereen het. Ons wereld is nou maar vaal en droog.

Het hom al paar keer in die nat gedoen, heeltemal ander cup of tea ja :thumleft:

Offline Minxy

Re: Bezuidenhout's Pass, Verloren Valley (VIDEO ADDED!!!)
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 09:42:43 am »
Not quite sure how to embed vimeo videos :\

Here's the link.

Ride Reports:

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 10:01:44 am »
Very cool video.

Well done  :thumleft:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 10:11:13 am »

Here's the link.

Lekker video  :thumleft:

Wat gebruik julle vir editing?
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline friggs

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 11:47:16 am »
Great photos! Thanks for posting them  :thumleft:

Offline Minxy

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:13 pm »

Here's the link.

Lekker video  :thumleft:

Wat gebruik julle vir editing?

Windows movie maker :P
I tried using more fancier programs, but find them overly complicated.
Ride Reports: