Triumph Tiger 800XC: what screen to reduce buffeting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emil

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Hi, everyone

Still battling!

I bought my Tiger 800XC in Jan. 2013. In May 2013 I went on a solo trip around South Africa. I replaced the standard screen with a Puig screen (pic attached). Not travelling faster than about 110 km/h, I was very happy with the screen.

Some time later I thought that the time had come to turn my back on adventure motorcycling (big mistake!) and started selling of bits and pieces, amongst them the Puig screen.

It took me another month to realise that I wasn't going to go through with the idea and started getting things together again (expensive lesson). This time round I decided to try the Givi screen (pic also attached). However, for some or other reason the screen causes me great discomfort at speeds over 100 km/h. I've discovered that the almost unbearable roar of the wind on the left of my helmet (Arai Tour - X 4) is gone when I hold my open (left) hand next to the handlebar where the mirror is affixed. Obviously I can't do the same to the right hand side, but I'm convinced it'll be the same. It seems as if the screen is too narrow at the bottom. Am I correct in my thinking?

Buying a screen that seems to be ok and then isn't can become an expensive exercise. Is there any screen available that will solve my (and possibly for some of you as well) a problem?

I really look forward to sincere replies. The roaring of the wind in my ears (I do wear ear plugs) is destroying the joy of riding for me.

Thanks, guys!

Attachments

• a2079191302dc32e8ed058_l_detail.JPG
    a2079191302dc32e8ed058_l_detail.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 311
  • PUIG14894.jpg
    PUIG14894.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 308