Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Real cost of ownership  (Read 2916 times)

Offline PieterV

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Real cost of ownership
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 12:26:35 pm »
Wel, thank you for the figures so far.  It seems as if there is a considerable difference from the listed base price of both the GS and GSA and what you need to put down before you take the first ride home.  I still don't see the exact figures from somebody with experience but suffice to say that it is more, probably much more, than what is quoted in loose banter.  But I also realise that it is a private matter so I will not persue it further.  If the whole article is financed too, the interest over a 4 or five year period is most likely to much to lay eys upon.  Eish, the price of pleasure, sanity, whatever.  Few things seem to be free these days.

You don't need to do much to a GSA on top of list price.  Luggage for touring is the main thing to consider.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 12:47:38 pm »
Wel, thank you for the figures so far.  It seems as if there is a considerable difference from the listed base price of both the GS and GSA and what you need to put down before you take the first ride home.  I still don't see the exact figures from somebody with experience but suffice to say that it is more, probably much more, than what is quoted in loose banter.  But I also realise that it is a private matter so I will not persue it further.  If the whole article is financed too, the interest over a 4 or five year period is most likely to much to lay eys upon.  Eish, the price of pleasure, sanity, whatever.  Few things seem to be free these days.

You don't need to do much to a GSA on top of list price.  Luggage for touring is the main thing to consider.

All relative to your requirements, some may suggest Navigator V is more important than luggage. Some takes both.

GSA has a terribly inferior bashplate given the bike's purpose and weight. I would add that to my list.

Agree that most of the rest is in place.

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 04:39:43 pm »

I guess not but, what is icluded in the 'list' price?  As far as I know it is the most basic bike.  Then comes heated grips, touring package, comfort package, ESA, and the rst of the alphabet soup.  It all adds up and soon you are way off the 'list' price.  Or do they have a full spec list price for South Africa since most GSs and GSAs imported are full spec anyway?
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 04:46:10 pm »
Just get the base price with options from BMW and calculate the options you wish to add.

Offline PieterV

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 08:55:25 pm »
Or do they have a full spec list price for South Africa since most GSs and GSAs imported are full spec anyway?

GSA in South Africa is comprehensively specified.  The online price list does not reflect reality.  Talk to a dealer.

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 10:07:05 pm »
The idea with this post was to share the information, to develop a discussion around what is advertised, said, published about prices and what the reality is that people experience, all inclusive; buying, selling and ownership.  I know I can call a dealer but that was not my idea.  And the dealer can't tell you everything either, only what he knows.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 10:57:07 pm »
The idea with this post was to share the information, to develop a discussion around what is advertised, said, published about prices and what the reality is that people experience, all inclusive; buying, selling and ownership.  I know I can call a dealer but that was not my idea.  And the dealer can't tell you everything either, only what he knows.

I think I had too much cheap coffee today cause I don't get it. So blame my blunt question on corporate budget cuts and too many hours in the office.

Why would you not go to the source for complete pricing and what is it that the dealer can't tell you?

Offline COLES

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 11:44:54 am »

Gents I cannot put a price on the enjoyment I get from riding my GS 1200 LC. I am a pensioner and fiddle in my garage and have basically developed all the add on,s for our L C ,s

There is nothing better than meeting the toppies of our group and just ride. OK insurance is high so is petrol but what the heck I love it

Coles