Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Home beer brewing  (Read 57970 times)

Offline Geel Kat

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • View Profile
Re: Home beer brewing
« Reply #1100 on: April 18, 2017, 08:03:13 am »
That sucks.

Never outsource the important stuff in life....

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1101 on: April 18, 2017, 08:26:19 am »
So I decided on a Czech style Pilsner for my Good Friday Brewing Pleasure.

Unfortunately i have, um, cocked it up slightly....  :eek7:

My scale was on the wrong measurement for the hops, so i added about 50% more than I should have at all 3 times (start, 10min & end) -

I wonder how bitter this is going to be...?

Ahh Well....  :biggrin:
Bitter beer makes great shandy... ;-)
Reminds me of the time my dad added more than the recommended sugar when he capped one batch... Grandma was staying over and liked a shandy before supper... "Don... that is the best shandy ever!" as grandma tottered down the passage for supper... :sip:

Anyway, it's burping furiously in the fermentation chamber - the rate it'd going it will be done in a few days!

Looking forward to this one....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline MickeyT

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 18, 2017, 09:16:33 am »
Brewed an awesome Belgian Dubbel last night.
Hit all my numbers, smelled and looked brilliant.
This was one I had been looking forward to for some time, but, alas, it was not to be...
My brewing assistant dropped the carboy on the way to the fermentation chamber.
25L of wort makes one hell of a mess, not to mention the glass!
Very dissaponted as I'm now down a glass carboy and can't afford to brew again until payday!
 :'(

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!  That must have been quite a sticky mess!  :lol8:
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

Offline wobbler

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 18, 2017, 09:04:15 pm »
It was super sticky, but I think my tears did a good job of diluting it and helped clean up the mess!
 :P

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1104 on: May 03, 2017, 02:27:33 pm »

My scale was on the wrong measurement for the hops, so i added about 50% more than I should have at all 3 times (start, 10min & end) -

Reminds me of the time my dad added more than the recommended sugar when he capped one batch... Grandma was staying over and liked a shandy before supper... "Don... that is the best shandy ever!" as grandma tottered down the passage for supper... :sip:

Anyway, it's burping furiously in the fermentation chamber - the rate it'd going it will be done in a few days!

Bottled 30 x 450ml Flip-Tops - now sitting at 3degC for 4 week.....

Although one could be forgiven for trying one after weeks 1, 2 & 3.....

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 03, 2017, 03:33:17 pm »
I currently have a blonde burping away - tomorrow it will be a week.

I'll give it another week - then I'm going to dry hop it for another week before I bottle it.

Want to make a batch of Weiss after this one is in the bottles - then I should be good for a while - should then have close to 50L on hand  >:D

Offline Tabasco

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 03, 2017, 04:01:29 pm »
2nd attempt - 23l of Amber Ale busy fermenting
(1st attempt was Draught -- and was good , but decided to try something else)

Offline MickeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 04, 2017, 08:04:40 am »

:lol8: That is why I lager for a month BEFORE bottling - if it is bottled, there will be 4 beers left after a 4 week lagering.  I tend to taste way too much!
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1108 on: May 04, 2017, 01:31:17 pm »

:lol8: That is why I lager for a month BEFORE bottling - if it is bottled, there will be 4 beers left after a 4 week lagering.  I tend to taste way too much!

Primary issue here is that I have gout, so I am not actually allowed beer anyway. BUT, one cannot go through life without a beer, so I take it very easy and stick to beers once a week - and I still have about 10 left from the last batch of Mexican......

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • View Profile
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #1109 on: May 08, 2017, 08:11:41 am »
Somewhere during friday night I was awoken by a crashing sound in the house. The dogs were all quiet, so I didn't give it much thought.

Meanwhile, in the beer cabinet. . .
Number 51, a quart of beer standing in a beer crate, under two other beer crates, had gone critical. It had taken its gun and walked in the post office. It had overriden the codes and pressed the red button on the firing panel of the intercontinental ballistic missile. It had gone poopoo in its nappy.
It had reached the end of it's gas-holding ability, blasted off its bottom end and taken off. The top of the bottle went THROUGH the crate above it, taking out an innocent bystander (number 48). Number 48, pissed off with this, had exploded in spectacular fashion, spreading glass, beer and huge amounts of work throughout the rest of the crate.
An hour and a half of very careful work saw the beer cabinet restored to its previous pristine state.
 :biggrin:
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day of Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1110 on: May 08, 2017, 08:24:17 am »
Yoh!  :eek7:

My weekend was far less eventful!

I opened bottle 30 of 30 (29 still ahead of it) on the theory that this was going to be the bottle with the most sediment from bottling. At one week old, I wasn't expecting much, and I wasn't disappointing!

It was K@K!!!

Taste - Bitter as all Hell.
Carbonation - Zero. Boksburg tap water has more bubbles.

I loaded the bottles with some brewers sugar before bottling (about 33g per 10l), so I was expecting a few bubbles....

I suspect the rubber seal has probably hardened to a point that its no longer useful - probably done around 10 batches each I would think......

Roll on next Friday, taste no. 29.....

Offline corne.l

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Say what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 08, 2017, 08:53:19 am »
I've joined the party.

For my birthday I got an allgrain kit. It contained 2 recipe kits (African Pale Ale and a Dark beer from Beerlab).
With vigor I started with the dark beer (more my taste) only to have nothing more than 30 minutes all together of bubbling. Then 2 days later made the decision to used the yeast from the other kit as well, just to replicate the same effect as before  :-[

I write it off to what I have read now on this thread to the kit yeast being up to no good. Will go buy some fresh yeast and try the APA.

In the mean while ... it is amazing how things hide in your house until you start reading here and get Ideas. I realized that my wife still has her grandmothers 12L carboy stuck in a cupboard.
Also a few years back I bought a 5L keg for our Dec holidays, which up to now was perched up on my bar for display. when I had a look at it, it has a replaceable bung for refilling. Awesome! I tasted the Dark Beer, and even though it does not (and probably will not) have any alcohol, it tastes great. I think this will go into the KEG.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:54:02 am by corne.l »
in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT660Z (2009)
Yamaha XT1200Z (2011)
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - Sold

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1112 on: May 08, 2017, 09:31:17 am »
I've joined the party.

For my birthday I got an allgrain kit. It contained 2 recipe kits (African Pale Ale and a Dark beer from Beerlab).
With vigor I started with the dark beer (more my taste) only to have nothing more than 30 minutes all together of bubbling. Then 2 days later made the decision to used the yeast from the other kit as well, just to replicate the same effect as before  :-[

I write it off to what I have read now on this thread to the kit yeast being up to no good. Will go buy some fresh yeast and try the APA.

In the mean while ... it is amazing how things hide in your house until you start reading here and get Ideas. I realized that my wife still has her grandmothers 12L carboy stuck in a cupboard.
Also a few years back I bought a 5L keg for our Dec holidays, which up to now was perched up on my bar for display. when I had a look at it, it has a replaceable bung for refilling. Awesome! I tasted the Dark Beer, and even though it does not (and probably will not) have any alcohol, it tastes great. I think this will go into the KEG.

If you have your Dark Brew still, and assuming it's not contaminated, get some more yeast from one of the Brew Shops and add it - if there is sugar in the wort, it will ferment, should not have any adverse affects - but it does assume there is no contamination from opening etc.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 08, 2017, 09:54:22 am »
I've joined the party.

If you have your Dark Brew still, and assuming it's not contaminated, get some more yeast from one of the Brew Shops and add it - if there is sugar in the wort, it will ferment, should not have any adverse affects - but it does assume there is no contamination from opening etc.

Beerlabs all grain kits are just a box with stuff in it - it is not a kit in the true sense of the word.

The kits with dodgy yeast is the kits that come in a can from overseas - there the yeast sit on the can for months and months - sometimes in a hot shipping container, etc. So those can sometimes be flaky but I have found more often than not they are just fine.

The yeasts that come with their all grain kits is standard yeast that you would buy loose - like US05, etc.

If after a day you dont have anything bubbling I take my long spoon and I churn the @#$@% out of it - then next day it is going like a machine gun. Sometimes the yeast drops out and sinks to the bottom before it can get going. Ale yeasts are top fermenters vs lager yeasts that are bottom fermenters.

So just give it a good churn and see if it wont start.

Also if you have it at to low a temp it would be difficult to start - if it says that the yeasts can do say 15c to 22c then if you want to fermet at 15c you'll need to pitch a yeast starter - first get it going outside of the carboy and get it to replicate etc.

Offline corne.l

• Say what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 08, 2017, 10:20:51 am »
BOB, I have churned it after reading your advice earlier in the thread. That does seem to wake up something because it goes for half and hour or so and then die again.
I also thought that it might be too cold where the fermenting bucket was standing so moved it to a warmer place in the house now, but with the same effect.

Yamaha XT660Z (2009)
Yamaha XT1200Z (2011)

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: May 08, 2017, 10:26:53 am »
BOB, I have churned it after reading your advice earlier in the thread. That does seem to wake up something because it goes for half and hour or so and then die again.
I also thought that it might be too cold where the fermenting bucket was standing so moved it to a warmer place in the house now, but with the same effect.

If you churn it and it goes immediately after that for 30min that is just gas that is now escaping from the churn - actual ferment will take hours to get going.

Do you have any frofth on your wort?

When it ferments it makes a large layer of foam on your wort - this goes likes crazy. If there is no foam then your beer is not fermenting.

After a week or so the foam starts to drop back and gets absorbed back into the beer.

Also my fermenter did not have an airtight seal - so it was fermenting but it did not buble on the airlock as the gasses would escape out of the lid before it could build up enough pressure to push through the water trap. I found a plastic seem on my tank that I later sanded down and after doing that I got a perfect airtight seal and then the water trap started to bubble on my next brew.

Offline MickeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 08, 2017, 10:30:19 am »
I've joined the party.

Beerlabs all grain kits are just a box with stuff in it - it is not a kit in the true sense of the word.

The kits with dodgy yeast is the kits that come in a can from overseas - there the yeast sit on the can for months and months - sometimes in a hot shipping container, etc. So those can sometimes be flaky but I have found more often than not they are just fine.

The yeasts that come with their all grain kits is standard yeast that you would buy loose - like US05, etc.

If after a day you dont have anything bubbling I take my long spoon and I churn the @#$@% out of it - then next day it is going like a machine gun. Sometimes the yeast drops out and sinks to the bottom before it can get going. Ale yeasts are top fermenters vs lager yeasts that are bottom fermenters.

So just give it a good churn and see if it wont start.

Also if you have it at to low a temp it would be difficult to start - if it says that the yeasts can do say 15c to 22c then if you want to fermet at 15c you'll need to pitch a yeast starter - first get it going outside of the carboy and get it to replicate etc.

+1  Keep your wort in the sweetspot as indicated on the sachet of yeast and give it a good churn.  Also, the more hops, the more likely your beer will survive, as hops are a natural preservative.  In fact - they used hops to preserve the beer during long periods of shipping when the realised that it actually makes the beer taste good.

Keep us updated!

Offline corne.l

• Say what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 08, 2017, 10:39:55 am »

If you churn it and it goes immediately after that for 30min that is just gas that is now escaping from the churn - actual ferment will take hours to get going.

When it ferments it makes a large layer of foam on your wort - this goes likes crazy. If there is no foam then your beer is not fermenting.

After a week or so the foam starts to drop back and gets absorbed back into the beer.

Also my fermenter did not have an airtight seal - so it was fermenting but it did not buble on the airlock as the gasses would escape out of the lid before it could build up enough pressure to push through the water trap. I found a plastic seem on my tank that I later sanded down and after doing that I got a perfect airtight seal and then the water trap started to bubble on my next brew.

That is what is a bit concerning. very little (like almost nothing) froth on top of the wort.

I checked the seem it does seem to lock tightly.

Yamaha XT660Z (2009)
Yamaha XT1200Z (2011)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1118 on: May 08, 2017, 11:23:41 am »

That is what is a bit concerning. very little (like almost nothing) froth on top of the wort.

I checked the seem it does seem to lock tightly.

What temp did you pitch the yeast at?
And what temp is it at currently?

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 08, 2017, 11:39:02 am »
i cool my boil down and when i get to 27c i pitch my yeast
then by the time i get to 20c the yeast is nice and active

you dont want to ferment to hot - but you need a little heat to get it going

do not pitch over 30c - cause then the yeast will die from extreme heat