Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Home beer brewing  (Read 68112 times)

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • View Profile
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
Re: Home beer brewing
« Reply #1300 on: November 21, 2017, 03:57:58 pm »
On a side-note, I popped past BrewCraft on Saturday, and they have my next brew ready - I pre-packed full-grain "kit" - grain, sugars, enhancer, hops & yeast - called a South African Ale - all SA products only.....

:thumleft:
That sounds interesting!

R380 - I will get one next month.
I have run out of bottles, so i need to drink a few to get the stocks up before I can brew again....
I suspect I will start with some of the 340ml Craft Bottles soon, I have a capper already.....
My bottles tend to have a bit of trub in them, and I always worry because that is beer going to waste. For this reason, I am going to move over to the new 1 litre black lable bottles.
The process is simple. I have about 13 cases of quart bottles. Every time I finish a case, I'm going to the beer shop to replace said case with a new case of 1 Litre bottles.
In this way, I plan on having more beer for less trub.
After exchaning 13 cases of 750 bottles for 1 LITRE bottles, I will have a lot of bottling capacity.
This has got nothing to do with the fact that I want to have 13 x 12 LITRES of black lable. Nothing. Screw you I'm not an alcoholic. Not, not!

Talking of trub in bottles, I have a small batch of Stout in the fridge - very carbonated - makes a moerse "POP" when opening, now being a stout, the carbonation starts at the bottom, viciously, and attaches to the semi-solid trub, circulating that merrily through the beer, so when you pour it, you get lumps of interesting stuff in your mouth..... NASTY!
I imagine sieving out the trub as above will also sort out these issues to a greater degree....

Having said that, the Curveza has such a small amount of sediment in the bottles, nearly non-existent!
I've also had that problem of the trub being stirred up in overcarbonated bottles, but have not come up with a solution yet. I've tried putting it through a filter coffee filter, but the beer seems to go flat during the process, it takes too long.
I now try to open the batches that have this problem very slowly, letting out the initial fizz a little at a time so keep the trub settled, but it's a boring process which involves me drinking a lot of other beer while waiting for one beer, which is ultimetaly not worth it.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day of Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: November 21, 2017, 05:01:09 pm »
We have started to wash our yeast when we transfer to secondary.  Or we make a big starter with a single packet and DME (If we do not have the yeast already in our fridge) and keep about a third for our yeast bank.  It works like a charm and it is much cheaper.  For our last batch of American Pale Ale that I brewed this weekend (80l batch) I bought one packet of Safale US-5, made a moerse starter of 4 liters.  I kept 750ml in the bank and with the rest I had gone from Sunday morning OG 1.050 to this morning 1.016.
We currently have in our "bank": Saflager S23; Saflager W-34.70; Safale US-05 and Safale S-04
It is such an easy process and saves a lot of money

How you do this?
How long does it last?
How do you store it?
So many questions!!

I tend towards Lager yeasts, as that is my preferred  beer type, so W34/70 & S-04 - and at R70 a sachet, it can get quite pricey!

1. the sieve process does not add that much time - say an extra 10-15min but i get almost no trub in my fermenter

2. the only trub i have in my bottles are the yeast that drop out after carbonation - my last beer made with US05 is so clear it looks like store bought lager

3. i dont brew that often - to many things going on but when i brew i tend to do 2 brews short after each other. i brew my first beer - a less hoppy beer generally with US05 - then after i have bottled it i leave a cm or so of beer on the yeast cake in the bottom of the fermenter. that i will let sit until i brew again - generally after 2 weeks after i have done my carbonation of my previous beer. i then brew more hoppy beer and i just chuck in some of the yeast cake (no starters no nothing)

works always - never had an infection and i make like 50L of beer with 1 packet of US05  :thumleft:

Offline MickeyT

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: November 27, 2017, 07:55:19 am »
We have started to wash our yeast when we transfer to secondary.  Or we make a big starter with a single packet and DME (If we do not have the yeast already in our fridge) and keep about a third for our yeast bank.  It works like a charm and it is much cheaper.  For our last batch of American Pale Ale that I brewed this weekend (80l batch) I bought one packet of Safale US-5, made a moerse starter of 4 liters.  I kept 750ml in the bank and with the rest I had gone from Sunday morning OG 1.050 to this morning 1.016.
We currently have in our "bank": Saflager S23; Saflager W-34.70; Safale US-05 and Safale S-04

How you do this?
How long does it last?
How do you store it?
So many questions!!

I tend towards Lager yeasts, as that is my preferred  beer type, so W34/70 & S-04 - and at R70 a sachet, it can get quite pricey!

The easiest way to do it is that you make a starter a couple of days before your brew day by boiling 2 liters of water and +/- 300g - 500g Dry Malt Extract (DME) for 10 min and letting it cool down to room temperature. After that, you add your packet of yeast and give the wort a nice shake to aerate it.  Leave it for 2 days, and add 2/3 of it like normal to your brew.  The other 1/3 put in a glass screwtop jar that has been sanitised and pop it in the fridge untill your next brew where you repeat the process with this starter in stead of a packet of yeast.
This way, you don't need to buy packets of yeast any more.  (There is a lot of youtube videos on this)
The starter in the jamjar, you can store in your fridge until you need it - just mark it clearly and keep track of what type of yeast is in what jar.
I won't store it for more than 6 months.  If you do, just make a fresh starter of it and store again.

To wash the yeast from a brew, you just add boiled water that has been cooled off to room temperature on top of the yeast cake after you have transferred the beer to either secondary or bottles.  Mix it all up to a milky mess and pour that out in a couple of jars.  Let it sit in the fridge for a day and pour off the beer on top and repeat the process.  Then pour off only the yeast (the layers will be beer on top, then a greyish layer of yeast and then white trubb) to jars and keep in the fridge as above.

Hope this answered your questions!
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

Offline MickeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: November 27, 2017, 08:15:54 am »
We have received our 105l boil kettle that Mark made (Halfjob) - definitely no half-job here!  Thanks Mark for your superb job!  We have since made a 90l Helles and a 80l APA.

Now the question... Do any of you use elements in your kettles to boil?  We use gas, but I think it is going to be easier to use say two geyser elements in the boil kettle.
Any input and thoughts here will help!
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

Offline shanti

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • View Profile
    • derek saul
« Reply #1304 on: November 27, 2017, 08:57:12 am »
Have been looking at similar options MickeyT - I walked into a local electrical shop looking at elements - the guy behind the counter immediately knew who to phone - it was a company based in CPT   ( sorry the name eludes me ) who do this work for many breweries and micro-breweries - the guy on the phone immediately asked for the dimensions , volume and KW of element needed - they make them up specific for your pot .
Here is the number of the electrical shop perhaps give them a ring and they can help you further - if you don't come right I will pop in some time in the week and chat to the guy I spoke with.
E4electrical - 0443820265 - I would hazard a guess and say min off 5.5Kw   

The following users thanked this post: MickeyT

Offline MickeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: November 27, 2017, 09:12:32 am »
Have been looking at similar options MickeyT - I walked into a local electrical shop looking at elements - the guy behind the counter immediately knew who to phone - it was a company based in CPT   ( sorry the name eludes me ) who do this work for many breweries and micro-breweries - the guy on the phone immediately asked for the dimensions , volume and KW of element needed - they make them up specific for your pot .
Here is the number of the electrical shop perhaps give them a ring and they can help you further - if you don't come right I will pop in some time in the week and chat to the guy I spoke with.

Thanks a mill!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: November 27, 2017, 10:53:05 am »
i have a 36L brew pot that i use

i use to use a large gas burner but then i need to carry a large hot pot of wort around so i now use the stove in and it has a much smaller gas burner - so not up for the task - i have a little 1kw element that i drop

the element plus the gas burner is more than enough heat for me

i use a 20L urn as my heat up vessel

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1307 on: November 27, 2017, 12:15:23 pm »
I use a 50-liter stainless steel hot-water urn, the type you find at any major canteen, i bypassed the thermostat and switches (too lazy to fit a new switch, but i must) and it boils 30-litres in about 30-minutes from cold, and maintains a nice rolling boil for the wort. added advantage is the tap is already there, so tapping of to primary is easy enough.
Downside is the weight as per any other method - but at least there are 2 solid, insulated handles to lift the 30kg of wort....

I have another 30-litre unit for sparge water & top-up water (run the chiller through it after chilling the wort, cleans the chiller same time...)
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1308 on: November 27, 2017, 12:44:08 pm »
The other 1/3 put in a glass screwtop jar that has been sanitised and pop it in the fridge untill your next brew where you repeat the process with this starter in stead of a packet of yeast.

To confirm - to use this 1/3 starter, you once again boil 2-liters water with 300-500g DME, cool and add the original1/3 starter to this? then leave for 2 days?
Then add 2/3 of this to your newest cooled wort and the jar the remaining 1/3 as before?

I am new to this process, but very keen to try this for next time.......

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1309 on: November 27, 2017, 01:50:56 pm »

ANOTHER question...
These yeasts in your bank - they were all harvested from Dried yeast - the small 10g packets - correct?
I was under the impression that the yeast could not be harvested & reused - although I am not sure why....?
Thanks for the valuable input!!

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: November 27, 2017, 02:07:49 pm »

ANOTHER question...
These yeasts in your bank - they were all harvested from Dried yeast - the small 10g packets - correct?
I was under the impression that the yeast could not be harvested & reused - although I am not sure why....?
CT, I have re-used that dry yeast often. I only keep mine for a max of 2 weeks though, have never tried 6 months.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1311 on: November 27, 2017, 02:31:25 pm »

ANOTHER question...
CT, I have re-used that dry yeast often. I only keep mine for a max of 2 weeks though, have never tried 6 months.

Thanks - could never work out why it wouldnt be re-usable - but my yeast is costing me R140 or so per brew (2 packets lager yeast) I reckon on saving quite a bit....
And that can go into more grain!!

Offline MickeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: November 27, 2017, 03:17:01 pm »
The other 1/3 put in a glass screwtop jar that has been sanitised and pop it in the fridge untill your next brew where you repeat the process with this starter in stead of a packet of yeast.

To confirm - to use this 1/3 starter, you once again boil 2-liters water with 300-500g DME, cool and add the original1/3 starter to this? then leave for 2 days?
Then add 2/3 of this to your newest cooled wort and the jar the remaining 1/3 as before?

I am new to this process, but very keen to try this for next time.......

:thumleft: Yup

Offline MickeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: November 27, 2017, 03:21:09 pm »

ANOTHER question...

Yes - all harvested from dry yeast packets!

Offline MickeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 27, 2017, 03:23:00 pm »

ANOTHER question...

Thanks - could never work out why it wouldnt be re-usable - but my yeast is costing me R140 or so per brew (2 packets lager yeast) I reckon on saving quite a bit....
And that can go into more grain!!

That is exactly why we are going that route!  To buy 8 packets of lager yeast for a brew is ridiculous!

Offline halfjob

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 28, 2017, 11:22:06 am »

will probably be satchwell in paarl, they will make up any size you need. also try temperature controls or unitemp
i only work to support my hobbies!!

The following users thanked this post: MickeyT

Offline Tabasco

• View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 30, 2017, 03:20:47 pm »

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile