Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Home beer brewing  (Read 84207 times)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
    • View Profile
Re: Home beer brewing
« Reply #1340 on: April 04, 2018, 12:04:42 am »
Never thought I will brew my own stuff.

I am playing with the idea to make my own spirits. Vodka, gin and rum as I am not a big beer drinker.

Anybody here with experience in the above?.

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline wobbler

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: April 13, 2018, 03:32:11 pm »
Have a batch of pale ale in the fermenter and its been dosed with grapefruit peel and enough dry hops to choke a donkey and man, the smell is amazing.
Cold crashing at the moment, ready for bottling tomorrow.

Juicy Banger Grapefruit IPA Recipe (30l brewhouse)Malts
5.38kg pale ale malt
Hops
10g Amarillo
35g Amarillo
100g Mandarina Bavaria
Yeast
WLP001 or similar clean West Coast yeast
Dry Hops
50g Mandarina Bavaria
50g Mandarina Bavaria
Adjuncts
3 grapefruits, peeled and ALL white pith removed
Splash of vodka

Method
1.053 OG | 1.010 FG
Mash in with 18 litres of water at 65C for 60mins
Sparge 11.2 litres at 75C
Bring to the boil and add 10g of Amarillo. Boil for 45mins.
Add 35g Amarillo and boil for 15mins.
Flame out and reduce to 90C and add 100g Mandarina Bavaria and peel of one grapefruit. Whirlpool if possible.
Cool to 21C transfer to fermenter and aerate.
Peel the 2 remaining grapefruits and keep in the fridge with a splash of vodka to sterilise.
Add 50g Mandarina Bavaria and peel of one grapefruit during peak of fermentation (likely 48 hours)
Add 50g Mandarina Bavaria and peel of one grapefruit at around 1.020
Cold crash for 48 hours then bottle/keg.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1342 on: April 16, 2018, 11:07:16 am »
100g dry hops - my mouth puckered.....  :eek7:

Let us know the outcome - could be pretty tasty!!

I have always liked a little lime in a light lager - so this will be an interesting variation!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline shanti

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • View Profile
    • derek saul
« Reply #1343 on: May 04, 2018, 08:23:06 am »
cooling systems on the 'cheap' , coming from home brewing and trying to go next level hits the pocket hard ....... used my welding skills and made some fermentors , shew the cost is in the shiny valves .
Using small fountain pumps inside a wheelie bin in the cold-room for my temp controls , once temp goes up pump turns on flooding the jacket with cold 5c water  - crude but effective .
Priced a small glycol system and nearly had a heart attack . Now with winter approaching I must get my head around a heating system , was thinking of wrapping the fermentors with electric blankets working on the same principle - temp goes down - electric blanket turns on ........ 

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1344 on: May 04, 2018, 08:28:57 am »
FFS - that would cause me to buy a new house to fit all of that in.....
After the divorce, I mean....
 :biggrin:
Looks mighty fine!!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • View Profile
    • derek saul
« Reply #1345 on: May 04, 2018, 08:36:45 am »
I dunno what came over me ! I was happily plodding along making my beer and doing my sculptures and thought I could compliment my gallery with some fine beer , now almost three years later I am still waiting on SARS to grant me a number to trade and scraping money together to come up with monthly bills . Think very carefully on going commercial with home brewing , the bills add up and the shiny stuff costs an arm and a leg even if you make it yourself .
I must say the journey has been fantastic just wish this country would assist people more trying to create a business , I have had red tape after red tape - funny thing is I have a liquor license to sell beer but no ability to sell my own beer legally - go figure .   

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1346 on: May 04, 2018, 08:42:21 am »
I dunno what came over me ! I was happily plodding along making my beer and doing my sculptures and thought I could compliment my gallery with some fine beer , now almost three years later I am still waiting on SARS to grant me a number to trade and scraping money together to come up with monthly bills . Think very carefully on going commercial with home brewing , the bills add up and the shiny stuff costs an arm and a leg even if you make it yourself .
I must say the journey has been fantastic just wish this country would assist people more trying to create a business , I have had red tape after red tape - funny thing is I have a liquor license to sell beer but no ability to sell my own beer legally - go figure .

You are a braver man than most, wrt getting a liquor traders license - i half-heartedly looked at it a while back, with a view that it could be an add-on for my income in the future. The hoops made me go weak at the knees, I canned the plan and make beer just for me....
Good luck going forward, may I contact you for advice in the future, if we decide to re-visit the process?
Steve

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • View Profile
    • derek saul
« Reply #1347 on: May 04, 2018, 09:01:21 am »

You are a braver man than most, wrt getting a liquor traders license - i half-heartedly looked at it a while back, with a view that it could be an add-on for my income in the future. The hoops made me go weak at the knees, I canned the plan and make beer just for me....
Good luck going forward, may I contact you for advice in the future, if we decide to re-visit the process?
Steve

Of course , our situation was rather unique , required re-zoning of our farm which required plans for buildings which required temporary departure from use permits which required ........... and on .
My suggestion if you are thinking of going this route is get a good liquor license law firm - we went with a normal lawyer and that ended up costing until we gave up and appointed a specialized lawyer - much easier .
In terms of actually making money with brewing there is a strange curve attached directly with liters that you need to make to make it worthwhile - under 2500L per month is a graveyard for all your hard work , to get to an output off 2500L is a journey in selling other assets unless you are part of the landed gentry .
There is some good literature on the journey and what it entails - brewing up a business by Sam Calagione is a good one for getting the right ethic and mind set , Brewery operations Manual by Thomas Hennessy is great for low budget Frankenbrew approaches .

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #1348 on: May 04, 2018, 09:06:49 am »

Steve

Of course , our situation was rather unique , required re-zoning of our farm which required plans for buildings which required temporary departure from use permits which required ........... and on .
My suggestion if you are thinking of going this route is get a good liquor license law firm - we went with a normal lawyer and that ended up costing until we gave up and appointed a specialized lawyer - much easier .
In terms of actually making money with brewing there is a strange curve attached directly with liters that you need to make to make it worthwhile - under 2500L per month is a graveyard for all your hard work , to get to an output off 2500L is a journey in selling other assets unless you are part of the landed gentry .
There is some good literature on the journey and what it entails - brewing up a business by Sam Calagione is a good one for getting the right ethic and mind set , Brewery operations Manual by Thomas Hennessy is great for low budget Frankenbrew approaches .

Thank you for the advice and the books to review - might even give it another go, the costing process anyway!

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • View Profile
    • derek saul
« Reply #1349 on: May 04, 2018, 09:17:06 am »
One for SARS and brewing

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • View Profile
    • derek saul
« Reply #1350 on: May 17, 2018, 09:11:31 am »
Carbonation and getting it right , any of you guys do force carbonation ? After years of bottle fermenting I am currently on a journey to learn force carbonation .
I managed to get hold of some second hand kegs and have been trying my hand at force carbonation, I am having some joy but the results are not consistent.
Here is some of the methods I have tried -
method one as advised by a brewery owner in Cape Town ( rock and roll method with a twist )
After transferring beer into my keg put 30psi into the keg and kick across the floor , place in cold area 4C and leave overnight... Next day check pressure , lower or bump up to 20psi disconnect gas and repeat 2 x day till carbonated, then leave at serving pressure - roughly 12 psi - this method I am finding hit and miss but it does have the advantage of not having to have  the couplers connected all the time enabling me to do multiple kegs.
method two as advised by most beer brewing sites
After transfer put beer keg in cold place - connect up regulator and coupler and leave on for 10 to 14 days at serving pressure or a little above 12-14psi - this has the best results but the cost to do multiple kegs is in the couplers and gets expensive if you are doing multiple brews - currently figuring out a whole heap of recipes so doing 30L brews into kegs
method method as advised by a brewery in Jeffreys Bay
transfer beer put beer in cold place, once beer has reached cold temp - put pressure 40psi and shake for 1 minute per 10L ,  leave at pressure overnight (12 hours), following morning reduce pressure to serving pressure 12psi and leave for 3 days ,disconnect and store till needed. I find this method unreliable but maybe I'm not getting it right ..
Any of you guys care to share your experiences with kegging and your journeys with this crazy art ?
I must say after all of the above I can definitely taste the difference with forced carbonation and naturally fermented beer - there is a subtlety with natural carbonation that cant be achieved with forced carbonation and the quality of the bubbles are definitely different, some days I am even not sure if the journey of convenience is worth the sacrifice in taste

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • View Profile
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #1351 on: June 01, 2018, 01:05:23 pm »
Decided to try something last night - hops bombs in beer!
Well, our hops come in pellets, and dropping a pellet into a beer is going to give you a mouth full of hops, so I went for crushing the pellets, putting the hops in a tea-strainer and then pouring the beer through it.
The first beer I tried was one of my own, a light bitter beer I don't like much in any way. The hops did not seem to have much affect, but it was difficult to tell because my beers are a bit hoppy.
So decided to try the same thing, but used a Lion Lager.
Total disappointment. The beer had almost no additional hop taste, and the hops made the beer fizz, causing the beer to go flat.
I'm really sorry this did not work, I can imagine sprucing up a few commercial beers with hops bombs!
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day of Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 01, 2018, 01:17:13 pm »
Decided to try something last night - hops bombs in beer!
Well, our hops come in pellets, and dropping a pellet into a beer is going to give you a mouth full of hops, so I went for crushing the pellets, putting the hops in a tea-strainer and then pouring the beer through it.
The first beer I tried was one of my own, a light bitter beer I don't like much in any way. The hops did not seem to have much affect, but it was difficult to tell because my beers are a bit hoppy.
So decided to try the same thing, but used a Lion Lager.
Total disappointment. The beer had almost no additional hop taste, and the hops made the beer fizz, causing the beer to go flat.
I'm really sorry this did not work, I can imagine sprucing up a few commercial beers with hops bombs!

Hops need heat to release bitterness

If you want to dry hop it takes the better part of 2 weeks to extract the flavour from the hops - so a quick hop into a beer before you drink wont do anything other than making it fizz

Offline MickeyT

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: June 14, 2018, 12:21:57 pm »
Haven't posted in a while, but got drawn for another brewing competition.  Last one we got a second place in the Saison challenge.

Now we have to brew a Belgian Quad - 11.5%... Using a moer-of-a-big starter - 5l  :lol8: Must add - it is a 90l batch.

"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • View Profile
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #1354 on: June 14, 2018, 01:22:34 pm »
Haven't posted in a while, but got drawn for another brewing competition.  Last one we got a second place in the Saison challenge.

Now we have to brew a Belgian Quad - 11.5%... Using a moer-of-a-big starter - 5l  :lol8: Must add - it is a 90l batch.
11.5%  ????
 :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:
Julle gaan lekker slaap, maar moeilik opstaan.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day of Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html