Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Can you use a tube on the LC with tire pressure monitor?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Slaaiblaar

Can you use a tube on the LC with tire pressure monitor?
« on: September 14, 2014, 04:20:33 pm »
I want to take a tube with on my next trip,  will it work with TPM or should I go with a few big cators for big holes?

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
Re: Can you use a tube on the LC with tire pressure monitor?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 04:58:56 pm »
My first reaction is 'no'.  I think the TPM forms part of the valve.  On a tube the valve come with the tube.  Best would be to change to tubes and remove everything before departure.  that way you don't need to worry about conversions along the way.

But tubeless is better and easier to fix than tubes.  Why do you want to make things difficult for yourself?
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 05:04:48 pm »
Thr TPM sensor is not in the valve, it is on the inside of the rim. Want to use it for backup,  big sidewall cut or something like that

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 03:57:47 am »
Take the tube.  If you need it just remove the TPS from the rim and install the tube.  Simple.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 04:41:17 am »
My first reaction is 'no'.  I think the TPM forms part of the valve.  On a tube the valve come with the tube.  Best would be to change to tubes and remove everything before departure.  that way you don't need to worry about conversions along the way.

But tubeless is better and easier to fix than tubes.  Why do you want to make things difficult for yourself?
Being tubeless does not make one impervious ('scuse the pun) to problems....start off with Tyre Shield & if you hit problems later on then fit a tube or patch the tyre  :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:21 am »
Take the tube.  If you need it just remove the TPS from the rim and install the tube.  Simple.

Yes, easy enough to remove the TP Sensor and valve if need be.

Take a tube, when you need it nothing else will work.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 07:36:43 am »
Thr TPM sensor is not in the valve, it is on the inside of the rim. Want to use it for backup,  big sidewall cut or something like that

My TPM on 2014 model is part of the valve. One unit. Wanted to install 90degree valves- was not possible as TPM had to go then.

Actually took bike in to a local dealer- lucky for me before I left I saw the TPM's lying on the ground where the labour was working. Asked him, and he said it was mine- almost left a couple of thousand on the floor there- uh uh no no no- aikona- change it back immediately - sorry for all the effort for nothing 😄

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 07:39:57 am »

My TPM on 2014 model is part of the valve. One unit. Wanted to install 90degree valves- was not possible as TPM had to go then.

Actually took bike in to a local dealer- lucky for me before I left I saw the TPM's lying on the ground where the labour was working. Asked him, and he said it was mine- almost left a couple of thousand on the floor there- uh uh no no no- aikona- change it back immediately - sorry for all the effort for nothing 😄
If it is part off the valve, how could you have left it on the ground?

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 07:41:34 am »
For the LC, what size tube would work in both front and back. For emergency only.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 07:53:57 am »
Thr TPM sensor is not in the valve, it is on the inside of the rim. Want to use it for backup,  big sidewall cut or something like that

If it is part off the valve, how could you have left it on the ground?

I wanted to install 90 degree valves- they were already installed when I saw the TPM's on the ground.

Offline lecap

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 08:20:42 am »
Again:
Do NOT use tubes in TL type wheels.
It is DANGEROUS.

Seating a TL type tire with an inner tube fitted does stretch the tube to (or beyond) its limit when the bead moves over the hump of the rim. (A TT rim does not have a bead hump and the tire moves much less to seat).
TL wheels with tubes fitted may blow out without wanting if the tube ruptures.

If you have a side wall cut it will be extremely dangerous to use the tire with a tube as either the tube might squeeze out and rupture or the tire tears further and disintegrates.
If you have buckled your rim bad enough to unseat the tire bead then rather fix the wheel.

For the LC, what size tube would work in both front and back. For emergency only.
Is there a place on this planet where they don't have trailers, trucks or donkey carts?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:53:47 am by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 08:36:08 am »
Slaaiblaar - hier is hy vir jou

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 08:38:27 am »
Slaaiblaar - hier is hy vir jou

Dankie, nou verstaan ek die ding :ricky:

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 08:41:41 am »
Kyk die foto ook wat ek nou net gepost het. Dit is presies hoe hy lyk.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 08:58:52 am »
As ek in die middel van die middel van niks, nerens en fokkol op my eie is sal ek 'n tube insit (en het al) om my tot by die naaste beskawing te kry, natuurlik moet spoed afwaarts aangepas word in so 'n situasie om te keer dat dinge te warm word.

Dit is absoluut net 'n emergency fix om stadig tot by hulp te ry.

Met 'n groot sny in 'n sidewall of in die tread gaan 'n tube alleen in elk geval nie help nie, die sny sal ook op 'n manier toegemaak moet word.

Daar is menigte situasies waar mense hulleself tot by hulp gekry het met tubes in TL bande, ons het dit ook verlede Desember gedoen, maar verstaan die risiko soos deur lecap verduidelik.

Of natuurlik kan mens op hulp sit en wag...

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Can you say: Today is a good day to die?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 01:10:19 pm »
Little bit of topic:
Its been suggested to me that in a emergency situation you can also put a 19" front tyre tube into a 17" tubeless back tyre? (Of course with dangers as LC said)
Will save me from carrying 2 tubes for emergency's. Do you agree?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:10:57 pm by SchalkL »
Sometimes you don't need a plan, just balls :)
I'd rather ... be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God than sitting ... in Church and thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 01:12:56 pm »
Little bit of topic:
Its been suggested to me that in a emergency situation you can also put a 19" front tyre tube into a 17" tubeless back tyre? (Of course with dangers as LC said)
Will save me from carrying 2 tubes for emergency's. Do you agree?

Have done that on a plastic with a 21" in a 18" and also on a 650 with 21" in 18" but only to slowly get to the nearest help/recovery point.

Will overheat very quickly due to folding and the tube will also be stretched to the limit - could go bad very quickly.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 01:48:08 pm »

Being tubeless does not make one impervious ('scuse the pun) to problems....start off with Tyre Shield & if you hit problems later on then fit a tube or patch the tyre  :thumleft:

Wont the liquid mess with the TPM??
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 02:43:59 pm »

Liquid??

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 02:54:15 pm »

Liquid??

Yes Tyre Shield is a liquid  :-\
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key