Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice needed - Northern Mozambique and Tanzania  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Alpine Al

• You dont stop playin 'cause you get old, you get old 'cause you stop playin.
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If life throws you lemons reach for the tequila!!
Advice needed - Northern Mozambique and Tanzania
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:25:08 am »
Hi guys, we are busy planning a trip up through Moz and into Tanzania. We are wanting to find out more about road conditions from Pemba to Ravuma river then to cross the Ravuma and head for Mtwara and the mountains. Stanley and Livingstone no longer on the forum, anyone else have some advice?
Bike history : Honda 50cc, Yamaha 175 DT, Honda 200R, Honda XL 500, Yamaha YZ 465, Yamaha IT490 CURENT BIKES: Honda CRF 450R, GS 1200. PRESENT BIKES : KTM 525 Street legal,  and BMW GSA.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
Re: Advice needed - Northern Mozambique and Tanzania
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:07:00 pm »
You can read my ride report.. we came down from Dar through northern moz, I 'll try find teh link.. you have to go to the unity bridge, its something else..
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:09:40 pm »
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

You will have to scroll down to the Tanzania - Moz part.

I can fully recommend the places we stopped at along the way.. man.. im jealous.. enjoy, I would go back in a heartbeat.

Muz
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Alpine Al

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 10:31:13 pm »
Thanks Muz, only saw your post now. Much obliged.
Bike history : Honda 50cc, Yamaha 175 DT, Honda 200R, Honda XL 500, Yamaha YZ 465, Yamaha IT490 CURENT BIKES: Honda CRF 450R, GS 1200. PRESENT BIKES : KTM 525 Street legal,  and BMW GSA.

Offline Bluefish

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:18:44 pm »
Hi Alpine Al. I just returned back to SA after living in Pemba for 6 years. You can cross the Revuma at the unity bridge or at the ferry close to Palma. The road from Pemba to Mueda is tarmac and then there is a bad dirt road to the bridge (Unity). The road from Pemba to Palma is now tarmac all the way and then roughly 30km of very sandy dirt road to the river. The ferry only operates the roughly 6 days around spring tide (so plan accordingly). I would also seriously suggest going to Lichinga and staying over at Taratibu as a stopover. Absolutely spectacular terrain. Let me know what level of offroading you guys want to do and I could suggest a few detours in the area.

Offline PieterOtto

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 05:26:11 pm »
Hello Bluefish!! How was it in Pemba? Do you know how is the surf fishing in Pemba? or is it just deep sea?

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 05:29:05 pm »
Al i'm drooling!
Loose wimmen tightened here.

Offline Alpine Al

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 06:04:27 am »
Thanks for the info Bluefish. We both ride a GSA and will be fully loaded with pillions so the less deep sand the better. Will maybe call on you for more advice soon  :thumleft: