Removing your UniFilter Pre-Filter - How to

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krod

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
How to remove the Unifilter Pre-Filter for people over 13 with large hands...

First you will need these tools:

xuexH4P.jpg

5mm Allen Key
T27 Torx
8mm Socket

First, remove the seats. Then, using the 6mm Allen key, remove the side plastic 800XC bits from both sides

pftcujO.jpg

Then, remove the nut which is attached to the rubber flange with the T27 torx

4AT9KBm.jpg

Then, remove the 4 bolts holding down the seat attachment using the 8mm socket

LKHCitX.jpg

Tadaaaa, now you have access to the dirty little bugger with waaay more space than a 13 year old would need..

lfmFTxK.jpg

Now, you will see that the filter has a black rubber grommet to fit into the airbox, and a red sock like thing moulded to it. Inside the red sock is a large spring to keep the foam bits open.

Gently pull the end of the sock out from next to the fuses, then massage the black rubber grommet out of the airbox. If you have ABS like in the pics, its more difficult, if not you have loads of space!

Vjce2IE.jpg

hJMeNDx.jpg

Once its removed, remove the spring and clean the filter in a bucket of air filter cleaner or something similar

JRnyrNf.jpg

I use air filter oil on mine before I put it back to make sure its ultra effective.

For those of you interested, after 5 days in the dirt, here is the paper factory fitted filter from my bike immediately after opening the air box.

tDN13H9.jpg

Very clean for the kind of abuse it enjoyed, so the pre-filter works very well!!!

The clean filter will look like this:

D998veS.jpg

Once its dry, oil the filter with some air filter oil and cover the black rubber bit in oil. It will easily slip back into place.

Practice makes perfect, my first time doing this drove me mad, but you'll get the hang of it!

Something else I did was to replace the standard paper filter with a new High Performance DNA filter, personally I see no purpose in this except that it looks cool, and no one will see it!!!

s610R0g.jpg

Enjoy!