'MURICAN ON THE LOOSE - Epic ~2month Tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heelrider12

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR600
Dogz,

Some of you might have seen Sharingroads recent posts about an American :)tool:...me) coming from a year of volunteering in Malawi who is gearing up for a lengthy southern Africa tour, and I'm excited to say the departure date is swiftly approaching. The bike has been purchased (pics to come), and she's a Red, White, and Blue thumping, kickstarting beast of a lady that reeks of pure sex (a '93 XR600R to be specific - thanks bikoholic). Servicing/upgrades and registration are also underway (all with the immense help/expertise of Sharingroads), and the route is "set". So, we phoned in a favour with the national government, told them to have a public holiday Wednesday so we can have proper braai send off (lekker), and the next day I'll hopefully be heading out. The dream is as follows:

Pretoria -> Barberton -> Swaziland -> Lesotho -> Durban -> Jeffreys Bay -> Baviaans -> Cape Town -> north to Namibia -> Swakopmund -> *Skeleton Coast -> *Etosha -> *Caprivi -> *Okavango/Chobe -> *Vic Falls -> *Gaborone -> Pretoria

Obviously this is just an outline. Time is not the limiting resource for me, fortunately - I'm essentially travelling until I run out of money (literally - to the point where my only way to get back will be to sell the bike :thumleft: - probably <2months). I intend to meander whimsically along the route, and stop and stay places as I please. Everything after Swakopmund is starred because I'll have to reassess my budget at that point to see if it will be possible or if I need to straight shoot it directly back to Pretoria. I'm really hoping not to rely on tourist websites and whatnot, and would love any and all input, recommendations, or other comments from the gang here. I've met a handful of wilddogz around Gauteng already, and would love the opportunity to meet more along the way. If you've got any advice, want to meet up for a coffee/beer/braai or ride, or have any general grievances re the US of A  :brave: you'd like me to deliver for you, let me know.

I'll also do my best to post a ride report and update along the way so anyone interested can follow along, although I have to admit I'm a forum newbie for the most part.

Thanks in advance everyone. Big thanks also to Groenie, bikoholic, the Friday Mugg & Bean crew, and everyone else around Pretoria that has helped up to this point. A special thanks to Sharingroads whose mechanical/technical know-how and commitment to riding, awesomeness and spreading the love has made this all possible.