Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MITAS E07 Tread failure  (Read 28230 times)

Offline Alsdad

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • Troy
Re: MITAS E07 Tread failure
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »
Very interesting Fred this!

I put an E07 on recently as there was no stock of Scorpions and I was going up and into Lesotho. Have no regrets so far and am loving it! There are a few small chunks out of it, but that's from pulling the ring out of it offroad! ;-)

Did I read correctly earlier in this thread about running or 'curing' a tyre in? I know about the first 50kms or so and scrubbing  any new tyre, but if I recall correctly, someone was talking about getting it up to temp and running  it in?

Or am I PUI???  ???

Edit: Went back and looked. 'Tour' mentioned on page2 that after a few "Heat Cycles" his tyre never saw more than 2bar. Do heat cycles help cure a tyre and make it last longer or something?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:56:51 pm by Alsdad »
It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2014, 05:20:49 am »

:thumleft:  Please keep me up to speed with progress.  My wife is the moer in with me because we cannot ride.  Next time I will put her on your case.    :eek7:   :biggrin:    
[/quote]

KTMjedi, this you don't want, Arend is plenty Screeeeech, but Mev Arend has moerse claws..........................don't stand between her and a bike ride  :lol8:

[/quote]

:imaposer: Jy ken my al te goed.   >:D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:23:22 am by Mev Vis Arend »
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline Varkboer

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Balls to the walls
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2014, 05:22:14 am »
Very interesting Fred this!

I put an E07 on recently as there was no stock of Scorpions and I was going up and into Lesotho. Have no regrets so far and am loving it! There are a few small chunks out of it, but that's from pulling the ring out of it offroad! ;-)

Did I read correctly earlier in this thread about running or 'curing' a tyre in? I know about the first 50kms or so and scrubbing  any new tyre, but if I recall correctly, someone was talking about getting it up to temp and running  it in?

Or am I PUI???  ???

Edit: Went back and looked. 'Tour' mentioned on page2 that after a few "Heat Cycles" his tyre never saw more than 2bar. Do heat cycles help cure a tyre and make it last longer or something?

Yes

Maar dit is n ander lang storie en daar is ander mense wat jou meer detail kan gee( Pistonpete).  :deal:

Baai Geeles

Offline Tony the Bony

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • what a bony
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2014, 07:30:13 am »
There are so many "experts" here I feel totally inadequate and hopelessly outgunned

You guys are so awesome you must get jealous of yourselves

I have done about 50 000 km on a few E07s on an 800GS and SE - fast, slow, rocks, sand, tar, gravel, snow etc - I get great mileage (10 000 km plus out of a rear tyre) and regularly see little hairline cracks but that does not bother me - you will always get that on any type of semi knobbly tyre - especially on 4X4s

The key to any tyre (no matter what vehicle it is on) is pressure - too low and the tyre will self destruct.

I have several vehicles with tyres on (cars, bakkies, land rovers, off road motorbikes, road motorbikes and bicycles ) - I do not use every vehicle every day so I make a point of checking tyre pressures with my own gauge almost every time I use each vehicle - and if the pressure is too low I pump it up with my own compressor and tyre inflator at home - for those who do not have these tools go and buy yourself a decent tyre pressure gauge at Midas etc for less than R100 and check your vehicles with this - the gauges at the petrol stations are hopelessly inaccurate - so after you inflate with petrol station inflator check the pressure on your own gauge.

If you are unsure of what is the correct pressure for you then pump it 10% harder than what the "book" says - your tyres will last longer

Check your tyre regularly for any cuts / cracks / screws / nails / punctures / leaking valves / etc - these can almost all be repaired with plugs etc for very cheap and save your tyres and possibly your life - all it takes is some time and effort

Please do this before you come on to a public forum and voice your "expert" opinion on how shit you think a certain tyre is
JD hit it right on the head. Well put. I removed/destroyed the Knobblies on a TKC80 simply from ridding the rear under-inflated. I didn't blame Conti...it was my own doffness.
Ex Tony Varadero....don't have a Vara anymore

Offline Winston

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Empangeni
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2014, 09:50:46 am »
What is the speed rating of a E07 ?

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2014, 09:53:13 am »
My third EO7 rear ... a good tyre  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline heinzz

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2014, 10:37:35 am »
Daar is fokkol fout met die tyres nie of miskien ry ek soos 'n girl. I did the heat cycle thing and checked for cracks regularly because of the life threatening publicity this received and nothing. I have done 16000km on my current set with the rear at 30% and the front 5% threat left. (60% gravel) I have abused my front tyre one day we had an advanced training day at the track and is of the view that it might have lasted longer if not for that. Running them at 2.8bar on tar and 2.2bar on gravel. I would like however changing to the Mitas Dakar like the tyre under discussion when I change.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:40:43 am by heinzz »

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2014, 05:43:01 pm »
Hi Badger
it appears to be true about different compounds. Had a full explaination from Nomore at Just Bike Tires in Centurion. Give hime a call. He's a cleva fella.

Thanks..... :thumleft:
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2014, 12:06:52 pm »
Which is practically impossible under normal riding conditions.

Meaning overload discussions is a waste of energy.

Yes and no

Yes if the pressure is correct.

No if you have not taken the load in consideration. So once again its about pressure. But must be looked at as a whole with the consideration points of load then speed and finally pressure relating to the first two point the greater the first two the higher the pressure. Make sense?

Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline ExploreSA

• www.gsrental.co.za
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2014, 01:51:04 pm »
Which is practically impossible under normal riding conditions.

Meaning overload discussions is a waste of energy.

. Make sense?

...Errrm...

No :'(
I live to please but don't always succeed

Offline ExploreSA

• www.gsrental.co.za
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2014, 03:37:36 pm »
New replacement tyre just received via courier.

Now that is service!!! :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thank you Jedi!  :thumleft:

Offline KTMjedi

• Cleared for take off
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2014, 04:16:10 pm »
Pleasure...I am just waiting for a result on the tyre analysis...Only problem is to get a definitive they want the tyre back to Europe for lab analysis. However I am due to discuss the issue with the head of quality control and the head of Manufacturing and we can hopefully speed up the process in getting a answer as to the cause of the failure.

Offline Mier

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »
I bought a BMW F800 Adventure with Mitas front and back tyre already fitted. The bike has done about 500km with the tyres.
We went to the Hell & Baviaanskloof for a long weekend. I had the first flat tyre at Mooreesburg. We stop at a tyre fitment centre where the guys pulled the tyre of the rim and saw that it had a tear in the side wall of about 50MM.
Having no other choice they repaired the tyre with a patch on the inside and also the tube. We then left for Sutherland via the Tankwa Karoo stall which burnt down the next day.
Long story short the tyre started losing pressure again at Willowmore. (Rony AKA Malletjie) from Jumpers helped us out on Sunday with a secondhand tyre (Not Mitas) and a brand new tube. I was very greatfull! Everybody can definetely pop in there. We had cold beers afterwards and was on our way. Thanks again to him. To get back to the topic. The Mitas rear tyre had 2 extra tears in the side wall on totally different places. We left the tyre with him.
I have got no idea why this would happen?

Offline swakop_toe

Re: Re: MITAS E07 Tread failure
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2014, 04:46:45 pm »

Does it have this ridge in the middle.
This is my new one. Received today. My E10 is murtu in less than 3,000km.
Am I correct that the E07 that delaminate did/do not have this "centre ridge"?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2014, 04:50:20 pm »
Even the Mitas was trying to get off the BMW,,, makes you think don't it?
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline JonnyP

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2014, 04:50:58 pm »
Even the Mitas was trying to get off the BMW,,, makes you think don't it?

:laughing4:

Offline KTMjedi

• Cleared for take off
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2014, 05:49:02 pm »
I bought a BMW F800 Adventure with Mitas front and back tyre already fitted. The bike has done about 500km with the tyres.
We went to the Hell & Baviaanskloof for a long weekend. I had the first flat tyre at Mooreesburg. We stop at a tyre fitment centre where the guys pulled the tyre of the rim and saw that it had a tear in the side wall of about 50MM.
Having no other choice they repaired the tyre with a patch on the inside and also the tube. We then left for Sutherland via the Tankwa Karoo stall which burnt down the next day.
Long story short the tyre started losing pressure again at Willowmore. (Rony AKA Malletjie) from Jumpers helped us out on Sunday with a secondhand tyre (Not Mitas) and a brand new tube. I was very greatfull! Everybody can definetely pop in there. We had cold beers afterwards and was on our way. Thanks again to him. To get back to the topic. The Mitas rear tyre had 2 extra tears in the side wall on totally different places. We left the tyre with him.
I have got no idea why this would happen?
Sidewall....but what I can't understand is the F800 has a tube so even if the tyre split for some reason (a failure I have never seen before) it would not have effected the tube. The only way you can get a cut in the sidewall and the tube is something cut the tyre and the tube. With regards to the other flat that I would need to investigate further and if you have details of where the tyre is I would like to check?

Offline KTMjedi

• Cleared for take off
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »

Correct this is the new designed E-07!

Offline ExploreSA

• www.gsrental.co.za
Re:
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2014, 06:18:24 pm »
Ja. This is what was delivered

Offline frans1

• Lewe elke dag voluit!
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2014, 07:17:08 pm »

I fitted a set two weeks ago.
Did off road and on road trip with mine and very happy.
I must say after reading what happen with the other tyre, i pump it to 2,8 when I'm on tar and 2 bar on dirt.
BMW 1200GSA (What a Machine!!!)
BMW R100RS (Busy with the repairs)
BMW 1200GS (Love the bike)
WR 450 Yamaha (Sold)
Yamaha 500 XT (Sold) Yamaha 175 DT (Sold) Honda 90 cc (Gave it away)