Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MITAS E07 Tread failure  (Read 29003 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: MITAS E07 Tread failure
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2014, 08:48:47 pm »
I bought a BMW F800 Adventure with Mitas front and back tyre already fitted. The bike has done about 500km with the tyres.
We went to the Hell & Baviaanskloof for a long weekend. I had the first flat tyre at Mooreesburg. We stop at a tyre fitment centre where the guys pulled the tyre of the rim and saw that it had a tear in the side wall of about 50MM.
Having no other choice they repaired the tyre with a patch on the inside and also the tube. We then left for Sutherland via the Tankwa Karoo stall which burnt down the next day.
Long story short the tyre started losing pressure again at Willowmore. (Rony AKA Malletjie) from Jumpers helped us out on Sunday with a secondhand tyre (Not Mitas) and a brand new tube. I was very greatfull! Everybody can definetely pop in there. We had cold beers afterwards and was on our way. Thanks again to him. To get back to the topic. The Mitas rear tyre had 2 extra tears in the side wall on totally different places. We left the tyre with him.
I have got no idea why this would happen?

Side wall failure  ::)  Generally Mitas E07 and E09's are known for strong sidewalls in my experience. Inevitably you will have hit sharp rocks hard possibly with tyres that could have been over inflated for the conditions Tankwa has some of the most abrasive rocks around  :eek7:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Flatout

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2014, 09:56:45 pm »
I went through two E07's on my Transalp. The first one started cracking and tearing at 500km's and the second one of the new compound tyres only lasted a little longer before it also started with the same problem. After complaining I was accused of not riding the tyres  in and the wrong tyre pressures. I'm now back on my second set of Bridgestones again, a tyre that that you can basically ride at any normal pressure with any acceptable weight  at any speed possible for the Transalp without any worries that something will go wrong.

Offline XTFREAK

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • B+
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2014, 10:04:25 pm »
The EO7 with the yellow stripe is the Dakar version and is said to be pretty much a " run flat" so I wouldnt think that that is the problem. Has anyone googled the specs and blurb regarding these tires.

Also? When did we stop spelling tires tyres? ? :pot:

Offline Tony the Bony

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • what a bony
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2014, 10:13:28 pm »
The EO7 with the yellow stripe is the Dakar version and is said to be pretty much a " run flat" so I wouldnt think that that is the problem. Has anyone googled the specs and blurb regarding these tires.

Also? When did we stop spelling tires tyres? ? :pot:
would also like to know more....we say Tyres, the amoricans say tires. Silly buggers
Ex Tony Varadero....don't have a Vara anymore

Offline TimeMan

« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2014, 09:06:59 am »
Slightly off topic . What is the average price for the 90/90/21 Mita E07 ? I phoned last week here in nelspruit . Bikezone didn't have but will get for me @ R 755 Fitted , then Rudemans said they have got @ R700 fitted . When i went there today no one knows who quoted me that because it is R1100 fitted , well i told them in not so many word where they can go put their tyre !!
When i am good , i am good but when i am bad i am even better
Never look down at someone unless you helping them up

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2014, 09:18:22 am »
I bought a BMW F800 Adventure with Mitas front and back tyre already fitted. The bike has done about 500km with the tyres.
We went to the Hell & Baviaanskloof for a long weekend. I had the first flat tyre at Mooreesburg. We stop at a tyre fitment centre where the guys pulled the tyre of the rim and saw that it had a tear in the side wall of about 50MM.
Having no other choice they repaired the tyre with a patch on the inside and also the tube. We then left for Sutherland via the Tankwa Karoo stall which burnt down the next day.
Long story short the tyre started losing pressure again at Willowmore. (Rony AKA Malletjie) from Jumpers helped us out on Sunday with a secondhand tyre (Not Mitas) and a brand new tube. I was very greatfull! Everybody can definetely pop in there. We had cold beers afterwards and was on our way. Thanks again to him. To get back to the topic. The Mitas rear tyre had 2 extra tears in the side wall on totally different places. We left the tyre with him.

Side wall failure  ::)  Generally Mitas E07 and E09's are known for strong sidewalls in my experience. Inevitably you will have hit sharp rocks hard possibly with tyres that could have been over inflated for the conditions Tankwa has some of the most abrasive rocks around  :eek7:

Just for interest I watched the fitter here in Centurion fit my new E09 tyre yesterday. He tore my bead  badly but no problem just coated it with more soapy stuff
and fitted the tyre just like that. I went to the manager and he had him take it off again. Promised me a new tyre (which apparently will be here today ),fitted my old tyre again and now I am nervously waiting,hoping,wondering if my nat. bash trip is now sunk.
So check while they are fitting your tyres so no damage is done at the fitting machine already.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline KTMjedi

• Cleared for take off
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2014, 09:34:26 am »
Slightly off topic . What is the average price for the 90/90/21 Mita E07 ? I phoned last week here in nelspruit . Bikezone didn't have but will get for me @ R 755 Fitted , then Rudemans said they have got @ R700 fitted . When i went there today no one knows who quoted me that because it is R1100 fitted , well i told them in not so many word where they can go put their tyre !!
Just a point on this, once you have added freight, labor and VAT R755 is below cost so think whoever at Bike zone quoted you that is in trouble.

Offline KTMjedi

• Cleared for take off
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2014, 09:37:14 am »

Just for interest I watched the fitter here in Centurion fit my new E09 tyre yesterday. He tore my bead  badly but no problem just coated it with more soapy stuff
and fitted the tyre just like that. I went to the manager and he had him take it off again. Promised me a new tyre (which apparently will be here today ),fitted my old tyre again and now I am nervously waiting,hoping,wondering if my nat. bash trip is now sunk.
So check while they are fitting your tyres so no damage is done at the fitting machine already.
whilst its far from ideal as you can get water in the bead which will rust in the long term and weaken the bead wires. BUT unless the bead wires were broken you will be ok...rust to that extent doesn't happen over night!

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2014, 09:47:13 am »

whilst its far from ideal as you can get water in the bead which will rust in the long term and weaken the bead wires. BUT unless the bead wires were broken you will be ok...rust to that extent doesn't happen over night!

No I don't want to be just "ok". I have done the sikaflex conversion with my rims which works fantastic for me with 1x E07 and 3x E09 tyres so far. With this damage it just wont work anymore. When I buy new I would like to get new fitted and not new with damage that "should be okay". Also I am a solo rider with most of my trips in very remote areas where I must have trust in my tyres and the way they were fitted.

Offline KTMjedi

• Cleared for take off
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2014, 10:53:37 am »

No I don't want to be just "ok". I have done the sikaflex conversion with my rims which works fantastic for me with 1x E07 and 3x E09 tyres so far. With this damage it just wont work anymore. When I buy new I would like to get new fitted and not new with damage that "should be okay". Also I am a solo rider with most of my trips in very remote areas where I must have trust in my tyres and the way they were fitted.
I hear you ...just letting you know where you stand  :thumleft:

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2014, 11:20:36 am »

subie, ek stem 100% saam met jou.  Dis ook nie asof tyres goedkoop kom nie.  Ons betaal baie geld om 'n goeie produk te kry en dink dis net redelik om te kry waarvoor ons betaal.  Ons veiligheid hang van gehalte produkte en diens af. 
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2014, 01:30:38 pm »

subie, ek stem 100% saam met jou.  Dis ook nie asof tyres goedkoop kom nie.  Ons betaal baie geld om 'n goeie produk te kry en dink dis net redelik om te kry waarvoor ons betaal.  Ons veiligheid hang van gehalte produkte en diens af. 

Ek moet herken ek is 100% n Mitas man. Glo kwaai in die produk vir my bike grote. Al wat ek maar net wou se is dat mens moet maar bystaan as jou tyres opgesit word.
Ek is net te vetgat vir lang wandelings in die Kalahari son so ek moet vertroue het in my tyres en die mense wat hulle opgesit het.

Offline ExploreSA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • www.gsrental.co.za
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2014, 09:18:30 am »
The Adventure returned yesterday and I checked the rear tyre pressure as is.
TPM reads 230
VDO handheld reads 245.

We can now accept the failed tyre's pressure was at 245 minimum.
I live to please but don't always succeed

Offline friggs

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2014, 04:48:48 pm »
Was tentatively waiting for feedback on this but couldn't wait any longer so decided to go ahead and get one. Had it fitted earlier by Just Bike Tyre in Centurion, not to scrub it in a little and find some dirt.

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2014, 08:05:47 pm »
Thanks KTMjedi, received my tyre today from the dealer.  Paid my dues and just need to fit and test now.   :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline ExploreSA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • www.gsrental.co.za
Re:
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2014, 09:09:29 pm »
Had the new replacement tyre fitted today and riding without any doubts. ..
I live to please but don't always succeed

Offline KTMjedi

• Cleared for take off
« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2014, 08:59:17 am »
Was tentatively waiting for feedback on this but couldn't wait any longer so decided to go ahead and get one. Had it fitted earlier by Just Bike Tyre in Centurion, not to scrub it in a little and find some dirt.
Unfortunately due to the serious nature of the failure Mitas wants the tyre back for lab analysis which is going to take time for an official report. HOWEVER in discussions between myself and the engineers at Mitas we suspect a delamination failure.....in basic terms the glue didn't stick so lekker. A tyre is made up of 3 textile plies which forms the carcass of the tyre and then you have the tread layer which is glued (vulcanized) to the textile ply. this bonding between the tread layer and textile ply failed. The question is why. There are a few ways this can happen heat build up being the main cause but it doesn't seem so as I cannot see any signs of this. Due to this my suspicion is that the weak bond occurred in the manufacturing process. Good news is that stress tests from this batch didn't reveal any batch issues. I will follow up with the factory for a definitive answer ASAP!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2014, 09:45:11 am »
Thanks for the feedback KTMjedi
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:32 am »
Unfortunately due to the serious nature of the failure Mitas wants the tyre back for lab analysis which is going to take time for an official report. HOWEVER in discussions between myself and the engineers at Mitas we suspect a delamination failure.....in basic terms the glue didn't stick so lekker. A tyre is made up of 3 textile plies which forms the carcass of the tyre and then you have the tread layer which is glued (vulcanized) to the textile ply. this bonding between the tread layer and textile ply failed. The question is why. There are a few ways this can happen heat build up being the main cause but it doesn't seem so as I cannot see any signs of this. Due to this my suspicion is that the weak bond occurred in the manufacturing process. Good news is that stress tests from this batch didn't reveal any batch issues. I will follow up with the factory for a definitive answer ASAP!

Mr Jedi, I haven't had the pleasure of trying some of your tyres (yet), but I certainly cannot think of any other supplier/importer going to the lengths that you do to follow up and support your product.  Well done!  You are a shining example to most industries in SA.  May your business success reflect this fantastic attitude!   :thumleft:

Offline friggs

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2014, 10:58:53 am »

Mr Jedi, I haven't had the pleasure of trying some of your tyres (yet), but I certainly cannot think of any other supplier/importer going to the lengths that you do to follow up and support your product.  Well done!  You are a shining example to most industries in SA.  May your business success reflect this fantastic attitude!   :thumleft:

Agreed. Even with this nasty failure just the fact that KTMJedi is so involved and wants to find the reason and give feedback was enough for me to go ahead and fit one. So far I love it, only a few hundred KM but just that fact that is round and not super squared like my last tyre is a huge improvement lol. Looking forward to taking it off the tar soon