Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MITAS E07 Tread failure  (Read 29942 times)

Offline KTMjedi

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Cleared for take off
Re: MITAS E07 Tread failure
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2014, 11:18:07 am »
I think the bottom line is I cannot guarantee you will never have a failure, no one can. If even at the panicle of tyre development and performance, Moto GP and F1 they have failures, then the reality is that Mitas... or anyone else for that matter, will never be able to produce a tyre that is 100% "fail proof" ! I suppose it comes down to how you deal with it that counts?
Having said that...hell some claims that come thou  ::). cuts from rocks and other hair line cracks are deemed a claim  :o. Well lets see if I can keep everyone happy  :thumleft:. Many happy and safe miles to you all!     

Offline friggs

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2014, 11:52:21 am »
I think the bottom line is I cannot guarantee you will never have a failure, no one can. If even at the panicle of tyre development and performance, Moto GP and F1 they have failures, then the reality is that Mitas... or anyone else for that matter, will never be able to produce a tyre that is 100% "fail proof" ! I suppose it comes down to how you deal with it that counts?

Agreed, that's why it didn't put me off buying the tyre (and it wasn't my only option or consideration in all honesty). The rare failure is something that occurs to just about any product in any industry, what's important (to me at least) is how it's dealt with and resolved... That is what either wins customers over or, more importantly I think, keeps existing clients from changing to another product/brand/type, etc.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2014, 05:45:04 pm »
Took my bike to Alfie Cox this morning to have some new tyres fitted.

After 8000km, my old E07 still had enough tread on it to make it worthwhile taking it home with me for future use.

How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2014, 05:46:26 pm »
My awesome new CO2.

Don't think this will last 8000km  ;D

How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline HB 9

« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2014, 07:13:32 pm »
Was tentatively waiting for feedback on this but couldn't wait any longer so decided to go ahead and get one. Had it fitted earlier by Just Bike Tyre in Centurion, not to scrub it in a little and find some dirt.
Unfortunately due to the serious nature of the failure Mitas wants the tyre back for lab analysis which is going to take time for an official report. HOWEVER in discussions between myself and the engineers at Mitas we suspect a delamination failure.....in basic terms the glue didn't stick so lekker. A tyre is made up of 3 textile plies which forms the carcass of the tyre and then you have the tread layer which is glued (vulcanized) to the textile ply. this bonding between the tread layer and textile ply failed. The question is why. There are a few ways this can happen heat build up being the main cause but it doesn't seem so as I cannot see any signs of this. Due to this my suspicion is that the weak bond occurred in the manufacturing process. Good news is that stress tests from this batch didn't reveal any batch issues. I will follow up with the factory for a definitive answer ASAP!

Mr Jedi, I haven't had the pleasure of trying some of your tyres (yet), but I certainly cannot think of any other supplier/importer going to the lengths that you do to follow up and support your product.  Well done!  You are a shining example to most industries in SA.  May your business success reflect this fantastic attitude!   :thumleft:
[/b]

Agree 110%  :thumleft:  :deal:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:14:23 pm by HB 9 »
Tread lightly

Offline tgg

• Bike: Piaggio (all models)
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2014, 07:31:21 pm »
my new mitas has been waiting almost 2 years, but I don,t ride enough for the previous tyre to wear.

How long can I still keep it

Offline nielvn

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2014, 08:24:18 pm »
Mitas e 07 are great tyres I used two sets on my previous GS and GSA. One day I noticed a few smal cracks on the tyre, I did not bother about it until it started leaking air, then I contacted the supplier, the lady was very friendly and told me to go to the dealer and swop the tyre. Before going to the dealer, I went to a colleague, which is an expert on failure analysis, he told me the perceived cracks were caused by a sharp foreign object, I immediately called the supplier and told them there are nothing wrong with the tyre, it was my fault and I replaced the tyre at my own cost.

The point is, how many people claim tyre failure, while it was not actually failure of the tyre.

Offline Alsdad

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • Troy
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2014, 08:25:42 pm »
Was tentatively waiting for feedback on this but couldn't wait any longer so decided to go ahead and get one. Had it fitted earlier by Just Bike Tyre in Centurion, not to scrub it in a little and find some dirt.
Unfortunately due to the serious nature of the failure Mitas wants the tyre back for lab analysis which is going to take time for an official report. HOWEVER in discussions between myself and the engineers at Mitas we suspect a delamination failure.....in basic terms the glue didn't stick so lekker. A tyre is made up of 3 textile plies which forms the carcass of the tyre and then you have the tread layer which is glued (vulcanized) to the textile ply. this bonding between the tread layer and textile ply failed. The question is why. There are a few ways this can happen heat build up being the main cause but it doesn't seem so as I cannot see any signs of this. Due to this my suspicion is that the weak bond occurred in the manufacturing process. Good news is that stress tests from this batch didn't reveal any batch issues. I will follow up with the factory for a definitive answer ASAP!

Mr Jedi, I haven't had the pleasure of trying some of your tyres (yet), but I certainly cannot think of any other supplier/importer going to the lengths that you do to follow up and support your product.  Well done!  You are a shining example to most industries in SA.  May your business success reflect this fantastic attitude!   :thumleft:
[/b]

Agree 110%  :thumleft:  :deal:

And again +1!!! :thumleft:

I ended up on an E07 by default as there was no stock of my regular.

Don't believe I'll be changing back!  ;)
It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Offline Varkboer

• Balls to the walls
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2014, 05:28:19 am »
 :thumleft:
Baai Geeles

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2014, 05:45:07 am »
My awesome new CO2.

The best I ever had on the XR. Scrub it properly and heat cycle..... I even did tar on mine, great tyre.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2014, 05:50:30 am »
My awesome new CO2.

The best I ever had on the XR. Scrub it properly and heat cycle..... I even did tar on mine, great tyre.

I put a C02 130/80-17 in stock but actually i just perv at it...it's a moerse tyre ;D If someone wants it there's going to be a tussle....i'l get separation anxiety... :lol8:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2014, 05:53:38 am »
My awesome new CO2.

Fantastic tyre up to 650 class imo. Have run them on my Husky 610 lots. Many long trips including tar - Lesotho twice etc. Very tough. Run it in nicely and lasts fine yes probably not 8000km but then this is a proper knobbly.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Titanic

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at 260.
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2014, 06:48:42 am »
I was thinking about this whole debate last night. Heat cycling the tyres, correct pressures etc.
I was just wondering, why doesn't Mitas (or any other tyre manufacturer) give out a pamphlet with their tyres? The typical biker walks into a shop, listen to what the shop has to say and fits the tyre. There is no packaging material or owners manual or anything to go with it. Usually the shops just tell the customer " take it easy for the first 300 km, the release agent makes them slippery"
If the customer follows his bike's owners manual, he might not be running the correct pressure.

I only found out about heat cycles a year after I fitted my tyre.

Offline Dux

« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2014, 07:00:11 am »
I was thinking about this whole debate last night. Heat cycling the tyres, correct pressures etc.
I was just wondering, why doesn't Mitas (or any other tyre manufacturer) give out a pamphlet with their tyres? The typical biker walks into a shop, listen to what the shop has to say and fits the tyre. There is no packaging material or owners manual or anything to go with it. Usually the shops just tell the customer " take it easy for the first 300 km, the release agent makes them slippery"
If the customer follows his bike's owners manual, he might not be running the correct pressure.

I only found out about heat cycles a year after I fitted my tyre.

The reason is very simple , a particular tyre will require different pressures depending on the bike it is used on . The manufacturers supply the distributors with catalogs which will list the tyre pressure per bike and tyre .
As far as riding in , that is up to the sales person to inform the client , but the riding in period is just a few km , definitely not 300km , usually less than 50km , I personally do it in the first 10km , the idea being to ride gently , almost like riding in the rain .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Jors Troelie

« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2014, 07:45:09 am »
Having said that...hell some claims that come thou  ::). cuts from rocks and other hair line cracks are deemed a claim  :o. Well lets see if I can keep everyone happy  :thumleft:. Many happy and safe miles to you all!     

Now that you mention it, my E07 is now smooth; when can I expect a replacement under guarantee?

On a serious note, I'm on my very first set of Mitas and after 2500km there's no problem. Even if I get problems with it, I will continue using the brand for as long as there is this genuine support for the product. I'm done with suppliers and brands that are just watching the bottom line, to hell with the customer. Well done Mr. Jedi.

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2014, 01:56:02 pm »
I must say this has been one of the best threads on WD for a long time. Positive attitudes all round.
Well done KTMjedi and all the WD's  :thumleft:
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2014, 08:34:08 pm »
Just replaced my 140/80-17 E-07 with a 130/80-17, the 140 did 19849kms. No problem whatsoever.

Offline Varkboer

• Balls to the walls
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2014, 04:48:29 am »
Hoekom dunner gaan is daar n rede  ???
Baai Geeles

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2014, 06:44:23 am »
2.3 bar is too low for on road pressure. I am not saying that this was the sole cause but please make sure you run higher pressure to limit heat build up in the tyres. Once again I van assure you that you are very safe on Mitas! 

This is a first I have seen or heard.  I run E07s and my last one lasted 30,000kms.  It had many cracks but gave me good mileage.

I think this one was just one bad apple in the whole lot.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2014, 01:25:44 pm »
Hoekom dunner gaan is daar n rede  ???

Die 140 is nou R1500, en die 130 R1200. :thumleft:
Die eintlike rede is dat die 140 so effe "overkill" is op my XT600, wat nou nie eintlik so kragtig is nie.