Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MITAS E07 Tread failure  (Read 29902 times)

Offline Rags

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
Re: MITAS E07 Tread failure
« Reply #220 on: October 13, 2014, 09:59:27 am »
Have also put on a few thousand km on my 07s. But I run them on 1.8b front and rear. Myself and the bike probably total around 230kg. Haven't spotted any major wear issues.  :peepwall:

Offline Genesis115

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re:
« Reply #221 on: October 13, 2014, 04:00:00 pm »
Oh and just for interest sake they got 14000 km on now so i also have them a while now. I do love the tyre and it is amazing. Im looking for a solution to not have to replace them and hoping one of you have found the sweet spot already
Thanks jedi i will try that. Next im gonna go for e08 and see but these tyres are only 3 months old and look new so the wife will kick my ass if i buy new ones now
How do you do 14000km in 3 months and keep the tyre looking new?

Personally I'm on my 3rd E-07 rear and would be hard pressed to go for anything else.

well they only hit the centre insert about a 1000km ago

Offline Vosperd

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #222 on: October 13, 2014, 10:00:15 pm »
Had an e07 and got 6000km out of it on my Katoom. Good tyre and if they had stock i would never have fitted a different tyre.

Also, had an e09 that failed but was replaced by Piston Pete (or mitas) at no cost. Service and product number one and will stay on mitas.  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Back on the horse!

Offline Sushi bar

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Getting younger everyday!
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2015, 08:09:35 pm »
After reading this post I've checked my rear EO7 and I've also noticed small cracks on the top of the knobbly, I'm sure it will be ok! My tyre pressure is 2.8 in the rear as I was two up and had 12kgs luggage on the rear. I did some dirt today but never dropped the pressure as I had a lot of tar to do after the dirt.
I have maybe 2000 Kim's on them and I run the EO8 in the front. All I want to know is should I worry or not?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:10:52 pm by Sushi bar »
Live love life.....

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
MITAS E07 Tread failure
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2015, 08:38:21 pm »
I wouldn't worry. To me they look just fine 👍🏻

But, rather the experts give their opinions

Offline ican

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • It is never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2015, 09:11:26 pm »
Mine always cracked much worse than that and I still used the tyre until it was worn out without any problems whatsoever. Great tyre!
In a world full of people, only some want to fly... Isn't that crazy?

Offline Sushi bar

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Getting younger everyday!
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2015, 09:20:52 pm »
Cool, I will keep an eye out but carry on....thanks!
Live love life.....

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2015, 09:31:36 pm »
I have done about 5k km on my rear e-07 on the 1190. It looks much worse than yours, and I abuse my tyres a bit. I can spin through first and second on tar so there are chunks torn out of the tread but it hasnt given me any problems. Probably about 2mm tread left before it becomes illegal.

I run mine at 3.2 bar always, mostly to protect the rims.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #228 on: August 03, 2015, 08:29:28 am »
After reading this post I've checked my rear EO7 and I've also noticed small cracks on the top of the knobbly, I'm sure it will be ok! My tyre pressure is 2.8 in the rear as I was two up and had 12kgs luggage on the rear. I did some dirt today but never dropped the pressure as I had a lot of tar to do after the dirt.
I have maybe 2000 Kim's on them and I run the EO8 in the front. All I want to know is should I worry or not?

Mine also started like that and progressively deteriorated.  Keep a close eye on them tyres.  I was also told not to worry until I lost a chunck in a long sweeping bend at about 130km/h.   :eek7:  I almost lost it but managed to save the situation, but it could have been much worse. 

They are great tyres, but once they start to crack I have no trust in them. 
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Man from Nam

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2015, 01:21:07 pm »
I agree with Vis Arend, it is great tyres till they start cracking. Mine also started with the small cracks during a trip and became worse as we continued till the re-inforcing was visible through the cracks. I replaced it in Cape Town as I was not prepared to risk my life on tyres cracking up. Mine had about 3500Km when I replaced it. No trust in Mitas anymore.
Life is great LIVE IT!!

Offline teebag

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #230 on: August 03, 2015, 02:14:14 pm »
Man from Nam - those look like the old compound E07

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #231 on: August 03, 2015, 02:57:21 pm »

and the tyre ran too hot

Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #232 on: August 03, 2015, 03:30:31 pm »

and the tyre ran too hot

How do you keep it cold? 
I dunno about Man from Nam's bike tyre, but mine looked a lot worse and that was from running on tar for 700km, tyre inflated to 3bar, speed between 120-140km/h with a pillion and loaded for a 4 week holiday in tempratures around the 30, stopping every 100km or so for a smoke break. 
If a tyre can't handle that, it is a kak tyre.   :deal: 
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #233 on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:35 pm »
Dit is maar 'n moeilike storie,

Ek hou baie van die E 07's en het al 'n paar stelle op gery, so ook twee van die nuwe compound, op my eerste stel van die nuwe compound was daar geen snaakse kraake, my tweede stel het snaakse kraake gewys in die omgewing van 3/4000 km, ek het hulle af gehaal en vervang met Karoo 3's wat 'n baie lekker band is maar die agter band gee nie km's nie.

Nou sit ek met die probleem,

Heidenhua gee km's maar is 'n k@k band wat grip aan betref,

E 07's kraak en maak dat ek hulle nie meer op 'n lang trip vertrou nie,  

Karoo 3 is great maar ek kry net 3000/3500 km op 'n agter band, die voorband lyk of hy goed gaan hou en hanteer lekker met baie grip.

So wat moet ek nou op sit, ek wil nie road base gaan nie en TKC's gee ook nie km's, Karoo 3 is nice voor maar dan sal ek iets anders agter moet op sit om die km's te regverdig.

Opsie wat ek aan gedink is om maar 'n Heidenhua agter op te sit en met  minder grip saam te leef en 'n Karoo 3 voor te hardloop wat weer lekker grip het.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:50:01 pm by Jakkals »
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #234 on: August 03, 2015, 03:58:23 pm »

and the tyre ran too hot

How do you keep it cold? 
I dunno about Man from Nam's bike tyre, but mine looked a lot worse and that was from running on tar for 700km, tyre inflated to 3bar, speed between 120-140km/h with a pillion and loaded for a 4 week holiday in tempratures around the 30, stopping every 100km or so for a smoke break. 

Overloaded

When we together next time we can debate this. It has been done to death already on this forum. Please look at the sidewall on all tyres and note the load and speed indexes (they are basically the same on all tyres).

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/speedrating

it is on all tyres including car tyres. The link above explains

Saying a tyre is KAK because we push it past its boundaries is just not cricket.

I am assuming you where overloaded by your description, we dont know as nothing was weighed, but its easy to overload a tyre causing too much flex even at 3 bar and that causes overheating.

Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #235 on: August 03, 2015, 04:10:28 pm »

and the tyre ran too hot

How do you keep it cold?  
If a tyre can't handle that, it is a kak tyre.   :deal:  

Overloaded

When we together next time we can debate this. It has been done to death already on this forum. Please look at the sidewall on all tyres and note the load and speed indexes (they are basically the same on all tyres).

Saying a tyre is KAK because we push it past its boundaries is just not cricket.

I am assuming you where overloaded by your description, we dont know as nothing was weighed, but its easy to overload a tyre causing too much flex even at 3 bar and that causes overheating.

Don't get me wrong, I don't say the E 07's is kak, I actually like them it is only the cracks that make me worry about them

But if overloading is the problem, why does the other tyre brands dont show the same type of cracks under the same conditions and loads , as you said the weight spec are very much the same on different brands  ?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:12:09 pm by Jakkals »
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline GRIM

« Reply #236 on: August 03, 2015, 04:44:27 pm »

The E07 appears to be rated for 325kg and 190km/h - from the description I would hardly call that pushing the boundaries...
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #237 on: August 03, 2015, 05:48:49 pm »

and the tyre ran too hot

How do you keep it cold? 

Overloaded

Thanks TJ, would like to hear your explanation on this.    :thumleft:

For interest sake, I see here below that GRIM says the rating is 325kg.  That is where my problem is.  The bike already weighs in at say 250, plus me pusses the load to 350, that without pillion and luggage.   :eek7:  There I am over the rating.   :o  ???   If this is the case they are selling me a tyre that's not up for the task.  In any case, who the fuck rides a 250kg monster that weight only 75kg.   :eek7:   :lol8:   

I specifically asked the question on this forum hoping to get a straight answer.   If I can recall correctly it was said that the total load of the front and rear must be taken into consideration to determine the load.  If that is the case, I was not overloaded.
I agree with you on this topic, "Saying a tyre is KAK because we push it past its boundaries is just not cricket", but if I load and ride it within it's limits, and it still cracks up, it is a kak tyre, in my opinion in any case.   :deal:
As Jakkals says and as I mentioned, its a great tyre, but it's cracking me up man.    :imaposer:

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #238 on: August 03, 2015, 05:56:22 pm »
Mitas het ingekom as value for money tyres wat hulle beslis nie meer is nie.  :xxbah:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #239 on: August 03, 2015, 05:59:44 pm »

and the tyre ran too hot

How do you keep it cold? 

Overloaded

Thanks TJ, would like to hear your explanation on this.    :thumleft:

For interest sake, I see here below that GRIM says the rating is 325kg.  That is where my problem is.  The bike already weighs in at say 250, plus me pusses the load to 350, that without pillion and luggage.   :eek7:  There I am over the rating.   :o  ???   If this is the case they are selling me a tyre that's not up for the task.  In any case, who the fuck rides a 250kg monster that weight only 75kg.   :eek7:   :lol8:   

I specifically asked the question on this forum hoping to get a straight answer.   If I can recall correctly it was said that the total load of the front and rear must be taken into consideration to determine the load.  If that is the case, I was not overloaded.
I agree with you on this topic, "Saying a tyre is KAK because we push it past its boundaries is just not cricket", but if I load and ride it within it's limits, and it still cracks up, it is a kak tyre, in my opinion in any case.   :deal:
As Jakkals says and as I mentioned, its a great tyre, but it's cracking me up man.    :imaposer:

Praat jy van die keer met die Xmass party toe net jy en Nannie op die bike was ?
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !