Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MITAS E07 Tread failure  (Read 28821 times)

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
Re: MITAS E07 Tread failure
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2015, 06:02:43 pm »
Let me stick my head out wtr to TJ's 'overloading' comment. Mitas E-O7 don't like big bikes. Check who the guys are complaining about failures... 99% are the big bikes, 200kg +

I've been following it for a long time.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #241 on: August 03, 2015, 06:31:30 pm »
Man from Nam - those look like the old compound E07

and the tyre ran too hot

How do you keep it cold? 
I dunno about Man from Nam's bike tyre, but mine looked a lot worse and that was from running on tar for 700km, tyre inflated to 3bar, speed between 120-140km/h with a pillion and loaded for a 4 week holiday in tempratures around the 30, stopping every 100km or so for a smoke break. 
If a tyre can't handle that, it is a kak tyre.   :deal: 

Overloaded

When we together next time we can debate this. It has been done to death already on this forum. Please look at the sidewall on all tyres and note the load and speed indexes (they are basically the same on all tyres).

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/speedrating

it is on all tyres including car tyres. The link above explains

Saying a tyre is KAK because we push it past its boundaries is just not cricket.

I am assuming you where overloaded by your description, we dont know as nothing was weighed, but its easy to overload a tyre causing too much flex even at 3 bar and that causes overheating.

Thanks TJ, would like to hear your explanation on this.    :thumleft:

For interest sake, I see here below that GRIM says the rating is 325kg.  That is where my problem is.  The bike already weighs in at say 250, plus me pusses the load to 350, that without pillion and luggage.   :eek7:  There I am over the rating.   :o  ???   If this is the case they are selling me a tyre that's not up for the task.  In any case, who the fuck rides a 250kg monster that weight only 75kg.   :eek7:   :lol8:   

I specifically asked the question on this forum hoping to get a straight answer.   If I can recall correctly it was said that the total load of the front and rear must be taken into consideration to determine the load.  If that is the case, I was not overloaded.
I agree with you on this topic, "Saying a tyre is KAK because we push it past its boundaries is just not cricket", but if I load and ride it within it's limits, and it still cracks up, it is a kak tyre, in my opinion in any case.   :deal:
As Jakkals says and as I mentioned, its a great tyre, but it's cracking me up man.    :imaposer:

Praat jy van die keer met die Xmass party toe net jy en Nannie op die bike was ?

Dit was die 1ste keer, ek praat van die tweede keer.   :eek7:

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2015, 06:36:04 pm »
Let me stick my head out wtr to TJ's 'overloading' comment. Mitas E-O7 don't like big bikes. Check who the guys are complaining about failures... 99% are the big bikes, 200kg +

I kinda, no, fully agree with you on this one.  I was just waiting for the right opportunity to say it, but now you let the cat out of the bag.   :snorting:   
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2015, 07:03:56 pm »
I would like to hear KTMJedi on the load rating observation on the E07.

Interestingly on the E09 which is much more knobby I have not had cracking or any block throwing on a
GS1200 HP2 … even ridden in anger (admittedly I do not load it with a pillion and the kitchen sink, mind)  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #244 on: August 03, 2015, 07:22:57 pm »
I would like to hear KTMJedi on the load rating observation on the E07.

Interestingly on the E09 which is much more knobby I have not had cracking or any block throwing on a
GS1200 HP2 … even ridden in anger (admittedly I do not load it with a pillion and the kitchen sink, mind)  ::)

Was thinking the same thing,but I also do not ride two up . E09 still the tyre I go to.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #245 on: August 03, 2015, 08:21:12 pm »
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=159919.60

Interesting reading, see from reply 70. 

If I read reply nr 78 correctly, there is no ways I can / could be overloaded.   :deal:   Speed could also not be a factor.   :deal:   

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #246 on: August 03, 2015, 08:41:39 pm »

Sub.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:20:28 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #247 on: August 03, 2015, 08:46:01 pm »
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=159919.60

Interesting reading, see from reply 70. 

If I read reply nr 78 correctly, there is no ways I can / could be overloaded.   :deal:   Speed could also not be a factor.   :deal:   

OK - so KTMJ did clarify - we are looking at ratings per @wheel - like 650kg in total.  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #248 on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:01 pm »

Nee wat oubaas jy sit die pot mis ......
Die nole op hulle se GSA's jaag mos teer soos hooligans, dan kak die band and dis die band se skuld .... sorry. Lees die speed rating en werk volgens wat hulle se, ek is op my 12de E-07, nog nooit sulke kak gehad nie.
Elke nou en dan sal elke produk n Woensdag batch he, dis nie te se alles is kak nie, maar werk volgens wat dit kan doen, nie wat jy vir pelle wil wys wat jy kan doen nie.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #249 on: August 03, 2015, 08:52:41 pm »
For interest sake, I see here below that GRIM says the rating is 325kg.  That is where my problem is.  The bike already weighs in at say 250, plus me pusses the load to 350, that without pillion and luggage.   :eek7:  There I am over the rating.   :o  ???   If this is the case they are selling me a tyre that's not up for the task.  In any case, who the fuck rides a 250kg monster that weight only 75kg.   :eek7:   :lol8:    

Sien in jou link hierbo het jy reeds raakgelees dat die load rating per wiel/band is. Dis hoe ek dit ook het.
Maw as jou bike se nou maar 450 weeg met pillion en bagasie is dit 225kg per band vir 50/50 gewig verdeling op altwee wiele wat ver binne die 325kg op die agterband is.

Personally don't subscribe to the excuse of overloading and low pressure.
I have done loaded travel at speed up to about 160 on 1 bar pressure with no problems on other tyres.
Yes you get tyre failures with speeds close to speed rating and lowish pressure and/or very low pressure such as a puncture combined with high speed but that does not imply every tyre failure is due to overloading and high speed.

Sub.

Het hom ook so.  Dis die dat ek se, overloading, banddruk en spoed is nie die probleem nie.  Die vraag bly, WAAR is die probleem dan?   By die tyre..........?   :patch:  

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #250 on: August 03, 2015, 08:55:25 pm »

Die nole op hulle se GSA's jaag mos teer soos hooligans, dan kak die band and dis die band se skuld .... sorry. Lees die speed rating en werk volgens wat hulle se, ek is op my 12de E-07, nog nooit sulke kak gehad nie.
Elke nou en dan sal elke produk n Woensdag batch he, dis nie te se alles is kak nie, maar werk volgens wat dit kan doen, nie wat jy vir pelle wil wys wat jy kan doen nie.

Ek sę nie so nie, daar's baie goot bikes wat die tyre hou, maar kyk hoe min ouens in die 650 klas jy kry wat kla oor failures teenoor groot bikes.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline TheBear

« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2015, 08:59:05 pm »

Vertel gou vir die nool, is die speed rating van 'n motorfiets band nie dieselfde as 'n kar band nie, maw.  as dit 190 gerate is, beteken dit 190 continuous?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:05:21 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2015, 09:03:56 pm »

Vertel gou vir die nool, is die speed rating van 'n motorfiets band nie dieselfde as 'n kar band nie, maw.  as dit 190 gerate is, beteken dit 190 continuous?

Die manne jaag die E-07 teen spoed oor die 180, op teer, dan kom die loop af. Soos op die 1190, wat in 50km n E-07 stukkend gery het. Dit is nie waarvoor die band gebou is nie. Of hulle laai die fiets te swaar en hou die druk te lag, dit het ek gesien op GSA's en 1190, dan die kladie ouens oor die band.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2015, 09:14:05 pm »

Die manne jaag die E-07 teen spoed oor die 180, op teer, dan kom die loop af. Soos op die 1190, wat in 50km n E-07 stukkend gery het. Dit is nie waarvoor die band gebou is nie. Of hulle laai die fiets te swaar en hou die druk te lag, dit het ek gesien op GSA's en 1190, dan die kladie ouens oor die band.

Exactly, too low pressure increases tyre flex which affects the structural integrity of the tyre which also affects heat build up. On a ride you will see a lot of guys airing their tires down for gravel,but few re inflating once you hit the tar again.

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #254 on: August 03, 2015, 09:32:25 pm »
Cocky, of hulle laai hulle vetgat skelmpies op die bikes vir vinnige dirty weekends.  Plaas hulle bly by hulle se sporty motjies....   :peepwall:

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2015, 09:38:02 pm »
The tyre manufacturers should then provide a warning statement when the tyre is purchased alerting the purchaser of the dangers of inter alia tyre delamination due to insufficient tyre pressure etc. If they don't it would seem to be a stretch of the imagination to think the purchasers would be aware of tyre deficiencies which are not in the normal realm of expected tyre issues.

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2015, 09:46:37 pm »
The tyre manufacturers should then provide a warning statement when the tyre is purchased alerting the purchaser of the dangers of inter alia tyre delamination due to insufficient tyre pressure etc. If they don't it would seem to be a stretch of the imagination to think the purchasers would be aware of tyre deficiencies which are not in the normal realm of expected tyre issues.

You mean they must say we must not ride 180km/h with a vetgat skelmpie on the back and with tyre pressure at 150? 

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2015, 09:48:30 pm »
c

tyres at the best of times are a compromise. You gotta give a little in one area to benefit in another. I think tyre manufacturers are struggling to keep up with the big bikes.
You got bikes,like yours,making close to super bike power,but then you want a 50/50 tyre to enjoy your bike .
We all know what it is like heading home on a Sunday after a weekend away,we mostly end up caning it to get home. Sometimes the tyre scare not as hard as the beginning of the weekend,and I feel this is where most damage occurs.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #258 on: August 03, 2015, 09:58:00 pm »
I run Mitas E07's on my 1200GS.
I am not a light person.
I have had NO problems.
I do NOT run them at low inflation rates - I stay above the tyre deflation warning limits.
I also do not ride over 160.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Sushi bar

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Getting younger everyday!
« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2015, 09:59:06 pm »
I've had Mitas EO7 on my previous Triumph 800xc without this cracking issue, same style of riding! I've had Previous Karoo2 on my Triumph and my Sertao, no issues, loud humming but no cracking. I had anarkee 2 and 3 on both Sertao and GS 800 no cracking..must be the tyres!

All I know is I'm somewhat nervous so I'm going to put Hiedies on now!
Live love life.....