Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 690 with Safari Tank...  (Read 1297 times)

Offline DjfLoYd

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Wannabe Dirt Ninja
690 with Safari Tank...
« on: September 23, 2014, 01:52:45 pm »
I've had a safari tank for a while now with no problems, but on my last two outings I've
had an issue where the fuel pushes up and out of the Safari over flow in the filler cap, this happens after I open the safari fuel tap.

I do the normal closing of the safari fuel tap, fill both tanks then ride 100 odd Kilo's before opening the Safari
tank via the fuel tap. This has always worked but as mentioned the last two rides I get fuel on my lap. :(

I then open the filler cap on the rear tank and I can hear a suction or escape (sounds more like it's sucking in not sure though) of air.
The fuel in the safari tank then drops down but after some more riding it just does it all again.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
Re: 690 with Safari Tank...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 02:17:36 pm »
Sounds like a breather is blocked somewhere, and you're getting a vacuum -lock. Had this happen to a mate of mine, and it was found that the breather/vent valve on the cap was blocked with dust. :sip:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline 777

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 04:36:26 pm »
Sounds like a breather is blocked somewhere, and you're getting a vacuum -lock. Had this happen to a mate of mine, and it was found that the breather/vent valve on the cap was blocked with dust. :sip:
Yip , I got a Safari on my 690 , same thing, the rear cap was blocked, took it to a servce station used tyre pump to blow it clear. Then i put a RR cap on the rear.
TS 50- Gave away
RM 125- Not sure where it is.
IT 200- Sold.
XT 550- Sold.
CR 250-Sold. RMX 250-Sold WR 250-Sold. CFR 450x-Sold. CRF 250x-Sold. XT 660R- Sold KTM 690 Enduro- Alfie Cox Special Edition .Honda XR 650L., WR450, Current bikes, KTM 500 Six Days and BMW 800GS

Offline DjfLoYd

• Wannabe Dirt Ninja
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 01:06:56 pm »
Yip , I got a Safari on my 690 , same thing, the rear cap was blocked, took it to a servce station used tyre pump to blow it clear. Then i put a RR cap on the rear.

Thanks guys, will check that out.
777 - The RR cap - did you use a breather pipe on the cap or did you retain the stock breather pipe under the seat?

Offline 777

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 03:02:57 pm »

Thanks guys, will check that out.
777 - The RR cap - did you use a breather pipe on the cap or did you retain the stock breather pipe under the seat?
Cap has its own breather pipe,also check KtmTwins,they also have them
TS 50- Gave away
RM 125- Not sure where it is.
IT 200- Sold.
XT 550- Sold.
CR 250-Sold. RMX 250-Sold WR 250-Sold. CFR 450x-Sold. CRF 250x-Sold. XT 660R- Sold KTM 690 Enduro- Alfie Cox Special Edition .Honda XR 650L., WR450, Current bikes, KTM 500 Six Days and BMW 800GS

Offline DjfLoYd

• Wannabe Dirt Ninja
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 02:03:40 pm »
Just for closure on this topic - I cleaned out my rear breather pipe using an air compressor. Theres a tiny
little ball in the neck of the petrol cap on the rear that was jammed in and I think this caused
the problem. Since blowing it out and cleaning it I have not had the problem occur again.

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:10:08 pm »
Yena lo!.... lesson learnt! Glad you didn't strip the whole issue for a bit of dust! :thumleft:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic