1993 XR600R Misfire - Urgent advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharingroads

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
DKW (all models)
We bought a 1993 XR600R for Alex, the gent from America to tour SA.
We looked at various options, and in the end he decided on the XR because it ticked all the boxes in what he was after.
We spend a bit of time cleaning it up properly, new spark plug, New chain and sprockets and so forth while waiting for the paperwork.

THis morning he took it for a quick spin before doing the lube on the chain, and before he starts packing to start his trip tomorrow. Unfortunately, it developed a bad mis fire. It was fine for the 1st 2 days, we did not work on wiring, in/on the engine at all, so I am a bit bowled over.

We did however clean the carb, as his first ride was about 2km, and then fuel started pouring out everywhere. Not knowing these bikes, I decided lets check for dirt - nothing. Seems the choke was open in stead of closed while he was riding.

I am about to do the carb again as I want to check the air screw due to dry fouling on the new spark plug, which can also cause a misfire.

Any other advise will be appreciated.