Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 690 E-R advise (Accelerator Module)  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Damianv

690 E-R advise (Accelerator Module)
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:26:51 am »
Hi guys,

I have been reading up on some of the older posts and came across a device called the Accelerator Module. I need to sort out my bikes stalling issues and was wondering if this might be the solution I require?

The bikes idles fine but will occasionally stall out when pulling away in 1st gear or if I ride at slow speeds in a higher gear and try and open the throttle a bit. This is really driving me up the wall as stalling out in peak traffic is not my idea of enjoyable riding.  :cussing:

I have also read that the following might help:

Vortex ECU - a bit expensive
mapping - Not sure what mapping is loaded, my bike has got an FMF pipe and idles fine.
Throttle calibration - done
Idle reset procedure - done
Throttle sensor check/adjustment - not done
Idle CO check/adjustment - not done

Any advise would be appreciated. :thumleft:

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: 690 E-R advise (Accelerator Module)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:09:36 am »
I had one for a while and it worked OKish.  I now run the Vortex.  Reality is that it is likely to be the throttle controllers' setup that is the main issue.  I would suggest that you get a tuneECU cable, and check the calibration and load one of the EVO maps (unless you have a 2014 model for which there is presently no maps)

Offline Damianv

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 01:09:19 pm »
I had one for a while and it worked OKish.  I now run the Vortex.  Reality is that it is likely to be the throttle controllers' setup that is the main issue.  I would suggest that you get a tuneECU cable, and check the calibration and load one of the EVO maps (unless you have a 2014 model for which there is presently no maps)

Thanks for the info, do you know of any local suppliers that stock the connector cable?
How is your bike performing with the Vortex?

Offline Gawel

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 03:45:37 pm »
I bought one of those cables from Schlowy......  Job done , stalling a thing of the past :thumleft:

Offline Damianv

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 09:04:22 am »
Hi,

I did some research and found the following post that has got a tutorial on how to adjust the throttle sensors on the KTM 690.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?115864-KTM-690-fix-staling-problem-using-TuneECU

That seems straight forward but I am not sure about loading new ECU maps.
I see a list of Maps on the TuneEcu website http://www.tuneecu.com/KTM_Tune_list.html but how will I know which Map will work for my bike setup? I don't have the EVO tuning kit installed in my bike, so will the EVO Map still benefit my bike?
I also don't see the Akropovic Map for my year model. Only for 2011 upwards.

I have got the FMF slip-on and UNI foam filter installed.

PS. Gawel, did you just adjust the throttle sensors or did you load Maps as well?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:07:37 am by Damianv »

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win

Offline Damianv

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 03:45:15 pm »
Read this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685657&highlight=tuneecu

I had a read through the post. What I will do is take the bike to my nearest KTM dealer and have them check the TPS voltage and see what Map is loaded in the ECU.

I phoned Schlowy, they don't sell ECU diagnostic cables. Do any of you know of a local shop that sell them? Other option is to just have it imported.

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 07:36:42 pm »

Offline Damianv

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 08:52:06 am »

Offline Gawel

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 04:50:57 pm »
I read on a yank post that the position 0- Bad fuel on our map selector switch sorts out the problem too. Apparently the "Bad fuel" means the correct
tree hugger lean mixture is now richer , bad for the environment , good for someone having spent R110k on a bike that stalls at the traffic lights or heaven forbid on a kak off camber in the bush..... :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 07:49:02 pm »
That's very interesting.  Do you have a link to that post?  It will be spectacular if the solution is that simple.

Offline Gawel

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 01:56:37 pm »
I have an Acro and a KTM Airbox lid , I loaded the Acro mapping.  :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline Gawel

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 08:26:03 am »
Sorry Bill , for the life of me I cant find it again! I did so much scratching on the web to sort out my/our dilemma . I found the post the same day I installed my cable so I lost interest in that post . Give our 0-Setting a try and keep me posted. :laughing4: :laughing4: Cheers

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 09:25:58 am »
If I ever need to fit the original ECUs again, I'll make it a 0.  Thanks for looking...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 09:42:42 am »
Hi Damianv

I now supply accelerator modules and have one for the 690 and 990. The problem lies with too lean fueling mixtures. The Accelerator module will richen the mixture under acceleration only to help alleviate the problem. It intercepts the signal from the temperature sensor in the air box and tells the ECU that it is 20°C colder than ambient and causes a more favorable fuel/air mixture.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 09:49:53 am »
Installation instructions to plug the Accelerator Module in line:

Remove the seat.

Remove the 3 screw and open the top cover where the air filter is located (see picture 1and 2).

Remove the air filter by removing the screw (see picture 3).

The ACCELERATOR module™ (picture 6) needs to be plugged between the IAT sensor and the ECU computer.  The gray connector of the IAT sensor is located in the air filter housing (see picture 4). Disconnect the original IAT plug by pushing the plastic  tab.

The ACCELERATOR module™ needs to be placed in between. You cannot connect the module wrongly since the ACCELERATOR module™ has the right male-female connectors!

Route the wire with the brass sensor along the frame to the front (or back) of your motorcycle so that the sensor receives ambient air and no heat from the engine. You can fix the cable of the module using a tie-wrap (see picture 5).

Reinstall the panel again, including the seat.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Damianv

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 08:53:08 am »
Hi Jacobsroodt

Thanks for the info.

I have ordered myself the TUNE ECU KTM KIT from lonelec. Will be checking my Throttle sensor and probably be loading the Akrapovic maps as a start.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 08:54:44 am »
Enjoy. The 690 is an excellent bike if you can get the fueling sorted.