XT weekend, a bible verse, a sticker and a tortoise.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BB King

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
OK, take it easy on me; I’m not a natural at this!!

Background:

Deciding to go to the XT Bash was the reason for taking the trip;

In 2011 the Mrs and I went to Oudtshoorn on holiday in the car and I bought a Route 62 sticker and swore that I wouldn’t stick it on the bike until I rode there;

When we set off, my dad (Sir Alex) said that he’d like a photo of his helmet next to a tortoise that we actually came across;

Psalm 103, a Bible verse about being thankful for all that God does/has done for us, etc and is much needed for two “broken Christians” and we only discovered our shared “struggle” whilst on the trip (religious/non-religious nuts, calm down to a panic, this isn’t going that way).

Down to business:

Had my phone upgraded recently so I’ve lost the exact km’s that we did daily but we totalled 3246 km’s in AWESOME 6 days!!
We set off Wednesday the 6th of August at 5:45 exactly from the McD’s in Kempton Park. I remembered thinking to myself as I waited for Sir Alex to arrive, “I might have too much kit on”...  25 minutes later mother nature kicked me in the testies as we headed Vereeniging way. -6 ˚excluding wind chill, the chick at the first toll had to take my wallet from my jacket because my hands just wouldn’t work, freakishly and quite literally so. Not kidding, at one point I’d managed to find a hospital on the GPS. But after getting out of my own head, a coffee and a camel at the Kroonvaal 1-stop, set me straight. The Star Stop in Ventersburg was the first planned stop for another cup of Jo, a smoke, a wiz, etc.

The original plan was to get to Colesberg for day one but by the time we got there we were still feeling fresh & making good time. Day 1 was fairly straight forward besides the fact that we did 971km’s – Kempton to Beaufort West in 12 hours, it was awesome!

Attachments

• DSCN0224.JPG
    DSCN0224.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCN0243.JPG
    DSCN0243.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 389