XC800 chain noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
I have read on a few threads about the XC800 chain knocking against the swing-arm and mine was also knocking somewhere occasionally. I even cable-tied my centre-stand up at one stage to eliminate that and the "knock" was still there.

When I serviced the bike at the week-end I was greasing the rear linkages so I took the time to get front sprocket, swing-arm pivot and rear sprocket centers in line to set the chain tension at it's tightest point. (On all my bikes I set it with just a small amount of slack at this point and then make a gauge with all re-assembled).

While I was doing it I noticed that with my rear wheel off the ground and the chain set as per the book, (which leaves quite a bit of slack still at the tight point) the chain is close to the center stand stop bracket, and that the bracket showed shiny spots on the top. So now that I had my fancy gauge I loosened my chain and wrapped the bracket with some sponge. Even on the famous Matola potholes the noise was not present. On the way back I took the sponge off and the noise reappeared.

But with chain re-tensioned as per gauge the chain is clear of the bracket and there is no knocking. Will have to check again when chain stretches a bit.

I am interested to hear if this works on other XCs!