Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lane split with hazard lights on, why?  (Read 4539 times)

Offline AntonW

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
Re: Lane split with hazard lights on, why?
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2014, 03:21:28 pm »
 :laughing4:
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

" It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you
realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence "

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2014, 09:21:52 am »
Watch out. UFO's lane splitting! :laughing4:
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
Lane split with hazard lights on, why?
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2014, 09:48:00 am »
Hazards on a moving vehicle is the most irritating habit as far as I am concerned.

I expect hazards to mean stationary vehicle in distress.

I expect brake lights to mean you slow down and a left or right indicator means you indicate your intention to change direction.

I too have tested the visibility theory while lane splitting. Some days, with no spots, no hazards and no loud noise, cars move over before I get to them. They do that because they see the car behind them move and then they look in the rear view and see me.

I do however mostly ride with spots on the highway for visibility sake but have found the best recipy while filtering is to go slower allowing other road users to see you approaching. They are not idiots and while moving forward they only look in their rearview mirrors periodically. No amount of light, flashing or otherwise, makes you visible to someone not looking.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2014, 11:59:20 am »
I do it every day, maybe a false sense or security - either way a blinking light might, just maybe catch a drivers eye in the side mirror...

:thumleft:

:dousing:

HAHAHAHA - I was just answering his question, albeit wrong that is just my thought process on why i do it

Doo you ride with your hazzards on when you drive a car.. if not why not if it makes you more visible and gives you a sence of security... cos its moronic thats why.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2014, 12:04:07 pm »
Of course if the intent is to show others that you are a hazard/ride like a hazard it might be appropriate, so everyone should be able to decide on that for themselves.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2014, 12:41:44 pm »
Of course if the intent is to show others that you are a hazard/ride like a hazard it might be appropriate, so everyone should be able to decide on that for themselves.

:imaposer: This is so true!! I normally stay far away from moving vehicles with hazards on. They tend to execute the most unexpected maneuvers at rather inappropriate times!!

Offline Shaun500

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2014, 01:38:05 pm »
I ride with hazards on while lane splitting.  So what.  My choice.   :thumleft: :ricky:

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2014, 01:41:46 pm »
I ride with hazards on while lane splitting.  So what.  My choice.   :thumleft: :ricky:

Good for you  :thumleft:

Please share your usual route.

Offline Uberutang

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • 2014 BMW F800GS
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2014, 01:53:22 pm »
I use the hazards in fog or very hectic rain when lane splitting (and when not in same conditions)

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2014, 01:57:25 pm »
I ride with hazards on while lane splitting.  So what.  My choice.   :thumleft: :ricky:

Your bike, your choice good, on you.

Just remember your choice and don't throw a hissy fit when another biker collides with you.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:58:18 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2014, 01:58:57 pm »

Just remember your choice and don't throw a hissy fit when another biker collides with you.

Especially since it is illegal to ride like that too.

Pasop, officer Gouws wag vir jou  :ricky:

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »
My bike does not have a hazard function. It is too distracting to keep toggling the indicator switch. I tried it once. I got a manual finger indication from the bloke behind me.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Pote

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2014, 02:21:27 pm »
Kan ook nie die moerse spot lights wat mense op hulle bikes sit om in verkeer mee te ry nie, as ek in my kar is en iemand verblind met met sy GSA spots dan kyk ek eenvoudig nie meer in my spieŽl nie, dit is moer irriteerend as iemand so agter jou ry, wat die hazard betref lyk jy net so tos soos iemand wat met 'n Murray & Roberts reflective baadjie ry.

Offline AntonW

« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »
[

[/quote]

Especially since it is illegal to ride like that too.

Pasop, officer Gouws wag vir jou  :ricky:
[/quote]

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

Offline Alan

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2014, 08:47:40 am »

::)

Offline Marc D

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Just Ride !
Lane split with hazard lights on, why?
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2014, 09:11:01 am »
When a taxi in front of me suddenly has the hazards flashing i remain just where i am anticipating a right turn, a left turn or a dead stop.

I don't know what the driver intends doing till he does it, normally a sudden pull-over to the left.

When i see a biker with hazards on i think he is on his way somewhere urgently and do notice him more than without the hazards.( unlike the taxi I doubt he is pulling over to pick up anyone. )

Just my different perception.
CURRENT BIKES:'03 Kawa KDX 200,'06 BMW R 1200 GS,'10 Triumph Street Triple R,'13 Honda XR 650 L
PREVIOUS: 70's Honda MT 50 ( 3 Years), '84 Honda XR 500 RE (23 Years), '05 Yamaha R1 ( 9 months)

Offline Alan

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2014, 10:45:53 am »
When a taxi in front of me suddenly has the hazards flashing i remain just where i am anticipating a right turn, a left turn or a dead stop.

I don't know what the driver intends doing till he does it, normally a sudden pull-over to the left.

When i see a biker with hazards on i think he is on his way somewhere urgently and do notice him more than without the hazards.( unlike the taxi I doubt he is pulling over to pick up anyone. )

Until he forgets they're on, he indicates and thinks all is good and turns in-front of you, and you knock him over. Then you'll have a different perception all over again...

Online SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • 100 048 km.
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2014, 12:30:37 pm »

What you think and what he thinks are probably two different things. I treat any moving vehicle with hazards on as a moving potential accident as you have no idea where they are going next and aviod them as far as possible..
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.

Offline Marc D

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Just Ride !
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2014, 02:47:32 pm »
That's also true and probably the safest option.
CURRENT BIKES:'03 Kawa KDX 200,'06 BMW R 1200 GS,'10 Triumph Street Triple R,'13 Honda XR 650 L
PREVIOUS: 70's Honda MT 50 ( 3 Years), '84 Honda XR 500 RE (23 Years), '05 Yamaha R1 ( 9 months)

Offline AntonW

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2014, 10:01:39 pm »
My bikes do not have hazard lights, so  I am planning to fit a yellow flashing light to the top of my helmet. I am trying to find the type you find in factories fitted to automated equipment  hopefully I will not have to wear a big battery pack.