Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Barberspan  (Read 1286 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Brainbucket

  • Puppy
  • *
  • Bike: BMW F700GS
    Location: Gauteng
  • Posts: 11
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:24:41 pm »
Hey all. I had to go and see a boer on a farm between Piet Plessis and Stella NW on Saturday so I thought I'd sneak off a little early Friday,  load my overnight kit and make a trip of it:

Left PTA headed out to Harties past Pecanwood,  rode with the Magalies mountains and then Rustenberg mountains on my right shoulder.  Hit the R30 and then N14, some good and bad bits.  Arrived at my overnight destination after an easy afternoon ride with great weather conditions. Hung my hammock in the Barberspan camp site (of the N14 outside Delareyville) that was full of local plattelanders enjoying the  outdoors and fishing. Lekker cold beer and a good steak was served by very friendly staff types.  After a good chow and a hot shower I retried for the evening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lj7mmt4r6eu4zun/rps20140929_210725_619.jpg?dl=0 arrival at the camp site reception: R50 per person. R100 for the site

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1kiyvq5k9t8lbu/rps20140929_210631_510.jpg?dl=0 Plenty of trees to hang ones Hammock.  

Up at six am and my neighbour is standing there with an offer of a lekker cup of coffee and some good morning banter. We discuss the history of the pan; which was apparently formed by the hoofs of the thousands of springbok that trampelled the lands only 50 years ago.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uw2a6x0cwkmi7vs/rps20140929_210654_349.jpg?dl=0 Campers view of the pan,  fishing is apparently very good and bird life is abundant.  

I was back in the road at 7 and on my way.  Quick ride to Stella and then I hit the Gravel.  Not too much confidence in my standard pirreli 90/10's but I only had to do 40k so I took it nice and slow.

Got to my destination safely and after two hours of business I was back on the road heading for PTA.  Riding East to West I had to constantly fight gale force winds blowing North to South for at least 3 hours! But once I got back to the Rustenberg mountains the wind was not as hectic,  and I got home safe and sound.  

So once again my 800GS turned a little business trip into a little adventure.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:46:59 pm by Brainbucket »
Smiling coz its fun!