Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: LC or LCA: DO NOT TOUCH THE REAR BRAKE ADJUST!!!  (Read 2885 times)

Offline ExploreSA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • www.gsrental.co.za
LC or LCA: DO NOT TOUCH THE REAR BRAKE ADJUST!!!
« on: October 01, 2014, 07:57:43 am »
I have three testimonies from people who adjusted the brake lever height and that resulted in the rear brakes binding. Fortunately no damage as they realised that very quick and reset.

Our LC was last week adjusted by a rental and resulted in serious damage with the disc, calliper, pads totally cooked and destroyed and also damage to the swing-arm and mudguard

As per BMW no-one except a qualified BMW technician is allowed to do any adjustment in that area. No mention is made in the Rider's Manual of adjustment to the rear brakes, only the front brake leavers.

If the position is not to your liking then other (aftermarket or BMW) parts to be installed instead
I live to please but don't always succeed

Offline BLK

Re: LC or LCA: DO NOT TOUCH THE REAR BRAKE ADJUST!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:33:50 am »
 :thumleft:

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:35:39 am »
Interesting, will monitor this :thumleft:

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:36 am »
If the position is not to your liking then other (aftermarket or BMW) parts to be installed instead

Thank you for the warning.

I sourced my adjustable lever from GPS4Africa, since the original brake lever really does not work when wearing offroad boots. It's too "low", and I could not for the life of me get the rear to lock up on gravel (please keep debates out of this thread). The old oily GS had a raised section that you could hook, that the watery GS is missing dearly. So it would be useful to be able to adjust something. I wonder if the Adventure has the same issue?

I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline OomD

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:27 am »
I have three testimonies from people who adjusted the brake lever height and that resulted in the rear brakes binding. Fortunately no damage as they realised that very quick and reset.

Our LC was last week adjusted by a rental and resulted in serious damage with the disc, calliper, pads totally cooked and destroyed and also damage to the swing-arm and mudguard

As per BMW no-one except a qualified BMW technician is allowed to do any adjustment in that area. No mention is made in the Rider's Manual of adjustment to the rear brakes, only the front brake leavers.

This is interesting. But really, only two things are possible here:
1. The adjustment caused the rider's foot to rest too hard on the pedal, ergo binding the brake.
2. The adjustment itself caused the binding even without the rider's foot resting on the pedal, ergo design flaw?

In case #1 this would be true for any bike, not just the BMW, not so? But, would this also not happen when installing those pedals that allow a higher position for when you're meerkatting?

In case #2... well I dunno.

Interesting, nonetheless. Which is it?

Offline ExploreSA

• www.gsrental.co.za
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:08:50 am »

1. The adjustment caused the rider's foot to rest too hard on the pedal, ergo binding the brake. Not in the cases I mentioned
2. The adjustment itself caused the binding even without the rider's foot resting on the pedal, ergo design flaw? Yes. But no design flaw. One is not supposed to do any adjustment there

In case #1 this would be true for any bike, not just the BMW, not so? But, would this also not happen when installing those pedals that allow a higher position for when you're meerkatting?

See my remarks in red above.

Offline OomD

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:30:27 am »

1. The adjustment caused the rider's foot to rest too hard on the pedal, ergo binding the brake. Not in the cases I mentioned
2. The adjustment itself caused the binding even without the rider's foot resting on the pedal, ergo design flaw? Yes. But no design flaw. One is not supposed to do any adjustment there

See my remarks in red above.
Thanks. I'll go check my back pedal just for interest sake. But, why did they make it adjustable then?

Offline AntVan

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 11:14:54 am »
Thanks. I'll go check my back pedal just for interest sake. But, why did they make it adjustable then?

It's not adjustable at the pedal. The adjustment is made elsewhere and if you are tech savvy it is clear that the adjustment is not to be undertaken by the weekend DIY expert.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline OomD

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 11:17:38 am »

It's not adjustable at the pedal. The adjustment is made elsewhere and if you are tech savvy it is clear that the adjustment is not to be undertaken by the weekend DIY expert.
Ahh, cool then. Thx  :thumleft:

Offline OomD

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 11:16:00 am »
Just had a good look at the rear brake setup. The brake pedal stop against the footrest bracket, meaning it cannot be adjusted to lift it higher. Any attempt at adjustment of the brake cylinder will just make it apply the brakes more, instead of lifting the pedal.

Offline AntVan

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 12:31:17 pm »
Just had a good look at the rear brake setup. The brake pedal stop against the footrest bracket, meaning it cannot be adjusted to lift it higher. Any attempt at adjustment of the brake cylinder will just make it apply the brakes more, instead of lifting the pedal.

Egg-zaki-tilly. I still don't know how the brakes were 'adjusted', can't figure it out myself. Obviously I'm not tech savvy enough to eff it up, only enough to realize where I should not mess.

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 08:14:49 pm »
Very glad I'm not the only fool when it comes to back brakes  :thumleft:

Fried mine on the HP.

2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet

Offline AntVan

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 10:10:54 pm »
Ouch.

Offline ExploreSA

• www.gsrental.co.za
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 08:35:40 am »

Exactly OomD

This pic shows the setting on a standard new LC

This one shows the setting on the adjusted bike. Clearly the rod is pushed into the master cylinder with no adjustment to the lever itself.

Bavarian has experimented on the adjustment on my request as I have a case against the rental. After adjustment, even still on the center stand, the technician could not turn the rear wheel by hand!

Case closed your Honour!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:37:20 am by ExploreSA »

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 09:03:24 am »
Ok, so you turn it in, the lever dont go up.

So sorry, but any one with some tech savy will know the brakes will be cooked then.

Eish wena  ???
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline AntVan

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 12:32:21 pm »
Oh my word.

Offline SGB

• 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 02:46:12 pm »
The only way to adjust the brake lever is to bend the outside edge of the foot piece upwards with a large screwdriver.  Or getthe Touratech lever.  Adjuating the push rod, well, live with the damage....  Daar is nie pille nie.....
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 06:19:13 pm »
As ek nou hierbo reg lees is BMW se mechanics ook in die duister hier.
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet

Offline AntVan

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 08:06:07 pm »
At one point, I wanted to form a rubber plug that I could fit if I go offroad, and take off with onroad boots. This was negated by the correct purchase.

Offline OomD

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 07:00:02 am »
At one point, I wanted to form a rubber plug that I could fit if I go offroad, and take off with onroad boots. This was negated by the correct purchase.
The correct purchase of what, AntVan? An aftermarket brake pedal? I think your rubber plug is a brilliant idea.