2 days in the bush with a shattered leg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTM2013

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I hope this post will be am eye-opener to those who ride off-road in remote areas. 4 mates and I were on a 2 week trip across western Botswana and Northern Namibia. The full RR will be posted shortly. Due to back-up vehicle problems, 2 of us decided to ride up north along the Angola border while the others went with the vehicle down to Windhoek. This was about day 8 into the trip.

We departed Ruacana, on the border of Namibia and Angola last Saturday (27th Sept) morning to travel along the Cunene 4x4 trail to Epupa Falls, about 130kms. Accroding to local knowledge and research we did, this was possible within about 6 hours and the track was passible on our 990's and 1190. We had 3 litres of water each and some biltong and energy bars.

About 60kms into the trip, I came off my bike on a steep rocky hill when the track gave way to a large wash-away gully.

The bike crashed into my left leg and broke it in a few places. It was now 3pm and temp was about 45 degrees. I called my mate who came up the hill and made me a basic splint. The main concern was heat, sun-stroke and getting off the mountain to establish a camp of sorts and decide what to do from there.
There was no cell reception for the entire route and we were about 2 hours riding time from the nearest civilization which was a tourist lodge up the river.
Having been in similar situation before, the instinct to panic kicks in, but realizing our situation, we slowed everything down and assessed each step. First was to get off the mountain and find shade. Second was to take stock of water supply and food. Then review maps and evacuation options.

I struggled on my backside down the hill dragging my legs with some help from my mate, and after 30 minutes of total agony, reached the bottom and found a thorn tree to take cover under.

This route is seldom travelled and the likelihood of someone coming along within a week was remote.

It was now 4pm. We decided the best option was for my mate to ride back 2 hours to the lodge along the river and try get help. However, he was totally exhausted and had quite severe sun-stroke.  We strapped my leg with branches and used a torn t-shirt to bind it together. The heat was still intense and we decided that we spend the night where we were and the next morning my mate would ride back the 2 hour stretch.
This was one of the most terrible nights of my life. While I had pain killers, lying on the hard ground with multiple breakages in my lower leg, was extremely painful. The next day my mate set-off early. We agreed that if the rocky passes on the way back to the lodge proved to risky for him, he would park the bike and walk, in order to prevent any possible accident, as then we would be stuffed. We also agreed, that if he wasn't back by 6pm that evening, I would have to make other plans on how to get out.

While I lay there, a Himba herdsman came by, and through lots of sign-language, I manage to get him to erect a basic sun shelter for me and try get some food and water for me. His name was Chi-Chi. I also managed to get to him understand, by drawing in the sand and sign-language, to bring 2 donkeys at 7pm if my mate wasn't back.

At about 1pm, I suddenly heard motorbikes and thought my mate was back. But this was 4 other riders coming from the opposite direction. The chances of this happening was so unlikely, I thought I was dehydrated and illusinating. They stopped  and gave me an energy bar and water and then used their Sat phone to call the lodge my mate was heading to.

The lodge sent a bakkie which I was loaded into the back. It was a 2 hour 4x4 drive over rocks and this must have been the worst experience anyone can have with a broken leg.
The next morning I was air evacuated in a small plane to Windhoek from an airstrip about 1 hour away, and then 2 days later sent to JHB.
I am now lying in hospital in JHB after having an op to put steel plates in my leg and try fix things up.

The biggest lessons I can share with fellow riders are, never to panic and I think rationally. Also, never ride in areas with no cell phone reception and no Sat phone.

Attachments

• IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,401