Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sea to Ski 2014  (Read 10017 times)

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Sea to Ski 2014
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:40:20 pm »
Sea to Ski is NOT a race, it is a team effort at extreme enduro.

I just had to make this clear as I am still posting in the Racing Section since this is probably
the place people will come look for the report.

During the next couple of days I will post a little report with lots of pictures telling the story
of our "epic adventure". I will start with this picture of my team. Dr. Fourie and I teamed up
again after our first event last year while Losper and Ruan, his laaitie, made a team.

This picture, and many to follow was taken by Teresa, Dr. Fourie's wife. Credits to the photographer.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:56:07 pm by Michiel »

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
Re: Sea to Ski 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:31:01 am »
After last years event, the first one, I don't think Sea to Ski needs an introduction but for
those who are new to the name here is a brief explanation.

Mike Glover put together a 3-day extreme enduro ride running on mostly single track all the
way from The Haven Hotel at the Wild Coast to Tiffindell Ski Resort at the Lesotho border.
Hence Sea to Ski. The feel and attitude of the event can best be summarized by the two
slogans it runs: AN EPIC ADVENTURE and TTFU (Toughen The Fuck Up).

Open to anyone and without qualification or class to the participants this is an event like no other
because it takes place in one of the most beautiful and spectacular parts of our country and it really
is a challenge. Some of the slopes and mountains we traverse are downright dangerous and I often
think Mike must have a nerve sending people, who doesn't necessarily have the skill, in there but this
is just the thing that sets the event aside from all the other rides out there.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:34:26 am by Michiel »

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 07:35:38 am »
Subscribed ... front row seat  :sip:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Knucklhead

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 07:41:56 am »
Yebo, sounds good

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 08:03:43 am »
On a personal note: Last year I participated on my trusty Kawasaki KDX200 and he didn't
miss a beat but this year the bar has been raised because this is my new battle axe.

David is a brand new 2014 KTM 300 XC-W and I spent many hours in the weeks running up
to the event to get him ready for the onslaught. Now everything was ready, we just needed
to go.

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
  • No vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 08:07:08 am »
Nice kan nie wag vir die ene nie  :sip:
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:36:32 am »
What an EPIC adventure. Micheal, I was the guy in the tent opposite you at the Maclear campsite (white Husaberg 300). I enjoyed the event, but the muddy climb on the first day was a killer, and Pondo Gates killed me about 4 times!!!

The last 5 hours of the event caused my 45 year old body to almost shut down. I was mid-pack at the bottom of Pondo Gates, when the riders made a collective decision to help everyone through to the top. I was dismayed to see how some of the guys we helped hopped onto their bikes at the top of the pass and rode into the sunset without helping us in return. Anyway, I ended up riding 5 bikes up the second half of Pondo and was completely spent. Riding out of the mountains was a challenge in itself, as one of the other Lowveld riders' bike kept fouling plugs. Between the top of Pondo and the bottom of the mountain, we had to stop and help him 5 times. Luckily between us all we had enough spare plugs. My team mate and I ended up riding into Tiffendel at 20h30, completely stuffed. Also, I got roosted with icy mountain water at the last river crossing, so the ride to Tiffendel had me almost getting frost bite. Bloody hell, I was cold.

All in all, it ended up being what it was supposed to be, and epic adventure. By next week, I'll probably be planning for next year's S2S, but not just yet!

I'll leave it to Micheal to carry on with this thread. He'll do a much better job than me.

One last thing; the view from the top of Pondo Gates will stay with me forever!
'69 Model.

Offline Buff

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 10:46:35 am »
This is gonna be good, I want front row seats please :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 10:47:42 am »
 :peepwall:

Offline roossd

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
    • Just Bike Tyre Centurion and Cape Town
Re:
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 02:24:47 pm »
Michiel. Waiting for the photos. Carel and I were the guys  teaming up with you, Duan and his dad at Pondos.
Done it last year but not again. There riding area was great. Some routes outright life threatening stupid. Value for money wont get me back in 2015.
Been there,  done that,  got the Tshirt
My Bikes: KTM 1090R, KTM 500, KTM 250 TPI
BMW 1200 Adv, Beta 250 Trials

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 09:19:17 pm »
Rossdog, you summarize the highlights of the event so well. You know, the best thing about these events are the
totally awesome people one meet. I bumped into so many really quality people and feel fortunate that I did.

On the Pondo's Gates topic: I want to start a petition to rename it "Heaven's Gates" because I'm told that the path
to heaven is a narrow one and one can't take earthly possessions with you...  ;D

When I finally made it to the top of Pondo's I was really disappointed to see no bikes parked at the top. We helped so
many okes ahead of us and I thought they would hang around a little to pay the debt but didn't. I paid my debt but
still felt guilty when I left. I suppose it would always be a difficult one.

But wait! Let me not get ahead of myself.

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 09:47:58 pm »
I think Mike Glover's idea for a team event was to allow weekend warrior riders to participate
in an event with routes that only professionals can ride by themselves because even someone
with little skill can go a long way with help from a friend or friends.

The logistics of an event that has a start and end more than 400km apart is difficult though.
Every team had to bring along a back-up vehicle driver to move the kit to a new overnight
location every day as well as providing petrol and other supplies at service points.

Losper and Ruan shared a vehicle with Dr. Cobus Fourie and I and so we managed to cut on cost.
Teresa Fourie was kind enough to give her time again after being an angel back-up driver the year
before. The problem with 5 in a car is the luggage! We had to pack carefully and squeeze bags in
everywhere including the spaces between and under the bikes on the trailer. On two nights we stayed
in tents and this makes for even more luggage including mattresses that Dr. Fourie forgot and purchased
along the way.

Upon our arrival at The Haven we were happy to see comfortable lodging. It has been raining for days before and the roads were
in a mess. I didn't even want think what the 1st day's route will be like with all those hills of black clay now drenched in rain.

Last year some of the participants had to sleep in tents at The Haven but this year those were reserved for the Rallye Raid guys
who came to ride their own routes and spectate along the way.

Mr and Mrs Fourie. Both Doctors I believe.

Our bikes ready for what ever may come.

Tomorrow we will embark on our epic adventure. Photo credits to Teresa Fourie.

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 09:53:37 pm »
Ohhhhhh yes this is going to be awesome

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 10:03:20 pm »
Day 1

Our first day rolled in too quickly as I wanted to enjoy the anticipation a little bit longer and
Losper still had some fiddling to do. Before we could say "hard enduro" we were lined up behind
the Red Bull arch choking on 2T fumes!

Team mates!!!

My view from the cockpit of what will turn out to be the most amazing bike ever... but lets not get ahead yet.

Brand spanking new. No one could be sure what the next 3 days will bring but hours in the saddle will be one of them.

Gentlemen, start your engines!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:28:59 pm by Michiel »

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 05:49:00 am »
Nice Michiel. Keep 'em coming!
'69 Model.

Offline weskus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 07:53:54 am »
Will be watching Michiel..
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax,Honda S110 Benly, Honda C110 trail, Yamaha RS125, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 08:30:45 am »
Subs

Offline Mooch

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:36 am »
Sub
If in doubt, flat out.