Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sea to Ski 2014  (Read 10016 times)

Offline Rossdog

Re: Sea to Ski 2014
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2014, 06:54:51 pm »
I think I just found next years great riding event that I will be doing. Time to get the right tool for the job and practice lots.
Work schedule permitting, I'll be back. It was either S2S or the Roof of Africa bronze for me this year, but I think S2S was the right choice. I think my racing days are over now. S2S is still super challenging, but without the pressure of having to put the hammer down every time you hear a bike getting closer. It's more of an adventure than a race.

I see that Red Cherry plans to get a GPS partner for next year's event. This will allow them to monitor & enforce speed limits on the road liaison sections, thus preventing guys who struggled in the technical sections from blasting past the old hands, only to hold them up again and cause bottle necks at the next challenging section. This is a good thing I think? It should get the event more flowing.
'69 Model.

Offline BLK

« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2014, 06:55:45 pm »
Excellent RR.You keep stuffing up my work as I get nothing done!!

A side question:How is the Tiffendale resort/hotel now that it has been revamped/taken over?Would you recommend it as a long weekend stay over?

thks again
Bruce
Tiffendel is OK. In the daylight one can see it needs some love... I think it would be more appealing in winter though.
Thks for reply
 :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2014, 08:15:45 pm »
I think I just found next years great riding event that I will be doing. Time to get the right tool for the job and practice lots.
Work schedule permitting, I'll be back. It was either S2S or the Roof of Africa bronze for me this year, but I think S2S was the right choice. I think my racing days are over now. S2S is still super challenging, but without the pressure of having to put the hammer down every time you hear a bike getting closer. It's more of an adventure than a race.

I see that Red Cherry plans to get a GPS partner for next year's event. This will allow them to monitor & enforce speed limits on the road liaison sections, thus preventing guys who struggled in the technical sections from blasting past the old hands, only to hold them up again and cause bottle necks at the next challenging section. This is a good thing I think? It should get the event more flowing.

Ja along with 'flowing' hot showers for guys who have been in the saddle for 9 hours!  :big grin: Unfortunately I heard many guys saying they would not be back due to poor logistics. Lets hope the wobbles are sorted.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline roossd

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
    • Just Bike Tyre Centurion and Cape Town
Re:
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2014, 10:57:23 pm »
My second S2S and last one. Last year the food was great, the ablusions not so good, but I can live with that. However to ride for 9 hours and you start the day with oats (which everyone didnt get) and toast just didnt do it for me. It cost our team about R20k to do this, next year I will do 4 Lesotho rides for the same money and have proper meals every day. If I compare this with Sani2Sea its not value for money even if its bikers paradise. Just my 2c
My Bikes: KTM 1090R, KTM 500, KTM 250 TPI
BMW 1200 Adv, Beta 250 Trials

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2014, 05:13:23 pm »

A side question:How is the Tiffendale resort/hotel now that it has been revamped/taken over?Would you recommend it as a long weekend stay over?

thks again
Bruce

Hi Bruce

I thought the place was quite fancy and neat. Certainly very cozy for winter time.
I am told though that they don't make snow anymore so if you go there in winter
with the expectation to ski you will have to choose a time when natural snow has
fallen. For grown-ups Tiffindell can be a good, pristine, quiet and snug escape as
specially if you have the company of a woman or man you love and can spend private
time with. Excellent for taking your affair lady to I suppose.

For children going with their parents I think it might be boring as specially if there
is no snow. Unless of course your kids like reading or sleeping all day and night.

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2014, 05:32:14 pm »

Ja along with 'flowing' hot showers for guys who have been in the saddle for 9 hours!  :big grin: Unfortunately I heard many guys saying they would not be back due to poor logistics. Lets hope the wobbles are sorted.

I agree, Sea to Ski has now become the one event on my calendar not to miss. Mike promises to
give us different routes next year and besides that, the landscapes we travel through are so varying,
spectacularly beautiful and challenging that I will be able to ride there lots of times and see/experience
new awesomeness each time.

Yes. The logistics are a problem, but come on, give them a chance. Besides, I'm there to ride stunning tracks,
not to eat or shower like a princess. Those things I get to do at home the other 362 days of the year.
Don't get me wrong though. I lose my personality very quickly when I am not fed well but lets give Mike
a chance to sort that out.

Roof vs Sea to Ski: People tell me all the time I should go ride the Roof. They say I will be able to finish silver class.
I say NO. I HATE racing conditions and the way people behave then. I choose Sea to Ski for
it has adventure, camaraderie, beauty, fun and much more. We ride in Lesotho on all the Roof tracks all the
time for fun. Sea to Ski is exclusive in the sense that we travel on private land with permission organized by
Red Cherry.

Offline BLK

« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2014, 05:43:14 pm »

thks again
Bruce

Hi Bruce

I thought the place was quite fancy and neat. Certainly very cozy for winter time.
I am told though that they don't make snow anymore so if you go there in winter
with the expectation to ski you will have to choose a time when natural snow has
fallen. For grown-ups Tiffindell can be a good, pristine, quiet and snug escape as
specially if you have the company of a woman or man you love and can spend private
time with. Excellent for taking your affair lady to I suppose.

For children going with their parents I think it might be boring as specially if there
is no snow. Unless of course your kids like reading or sleeping all day and night.

Nice answer,appreciate your time

regards
b

Offline BLK

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2014, 05:51:07 pm »

I agree, Sea to Ski has now become the one event on my calendar not to miss. Mike promises to
give us different routes next year and besides that, the landscapes we travel through are so varying,
spectacularly beautiful and challenging that I will be able to ride there lots of times and see/experience
new awesomeness each time.

Yes. The logistics are a problem, but come on, give them a chance. Besides, I'm there to ride stunning tracks,
not to eat or shower like a princess. Those things I get to do at home the other 362 days of the year.
Don't get me wrong though. I lose my personality very quickly when I am not fed well but lets give Mike
a chance to sort that out.

Roof vs Sea to Ski: People tell me all the time I should go ride the Roof. They say I will be able to finish silver class.
I say NO. I HATE racing conditions and the way people behave then. I choose Sea to Ski for
it has adventure, camaraderie, beauty, fun and much more. We ride in Lesotho on all the Roof tracks all the
time for fun. Sea to Ski is exclusive in the sense that we travel on private land with permission organized by
Red Cherry.
You sound and write like a 1st class citizen

Congrats on your Stance

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2014, 08:13:59 pm »
Indeed Michiel - well articulated brother  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline weskus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2014, 08:34:45 am »
Nice report, one day, for now the rocks on a off-road race is too much for me..
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax,Honda S110 Benly, Honda C110 trail, Yamaha RS125, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..