Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sea to Ski 2014  (Read 10018 times)

Offline Roadkill

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Re: Sea to Ski 2014
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2014, 12:42:50 pm »
Wow sea to ski looks absolutely amazing !
Nice RR Michiel  :thumleft:  keep it coming

Offline Mooch

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2014, 02:03:46 pm »
Awesome Report !!!   :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
If in doubt, flat out.

Online adamktm

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2014, 02:07:20 pm »
Awesome ride report bud!!!

If I get my Roof medal this year I will definitely be doing S2S next year!!

When you do get your enduro helmet invest in a set of Quick Straps. You can remove and fit your goggles with one hand.
2018 KTM 250 6 Days TPI
2011 690 Enduro

When I bleed, I bleed orange!

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2014, 02:15:30 pm »
When you do get your enduro helmet invest in a set of Quick Straps. You can remove and fit your goggles with one hand.

DS helmets are made with a large visor/opening to take goggles. Get the goggles and quick straps now and use with the DS helmet.
You can then compare the visor and goggles in an enduro environment and give us some feedback....

With quick straps you can put the goggles on the back of the helmet out of the way while using the visor.

Disclaimer: I have an enduro helmet but without a visor and use goggles with a normal strap. I do however find that the goggles do not fit so well in the visor opening.

Offline kyton

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Gas Gas (all models)
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2014, 04:37:01 pm »
Man that route looks epic.  Nice Report. :thumleft:

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2014, 08:04:27 pm »
Nice pics Michiel & Losper, thanks!

I ended riding 5 bikes up the last section (after the hairpin). Too many riders were completely wrecked. This ended up being a big mistake, as I was by them completely poked and I really struggled to maintain focus on the way down. I kept loosing momentum on the steep downhill sections because I was too tired to stand, resulting in me being deflected all over the place and taking quite a few tumbles. I ended up hooking up with another Hoedspruit team. The rider of one of the bikes kept fouling plugs. Luckily I had 3 extra plugs with me. Secretly, I was grateful for this, as it gave me time to regain a bit of composure.

On day 1, about 5km from the first refuel, my front brakes faded completely. With horror, I noticed the front brake reservoir cap was missing. WTF? I can only think I got distracted when bleeding my brakes prior to leaving home, and forgot to tighten the securing screws. I managed to seal the reservoir with insulation tape and salvage a little bit of brake fluid. Going down some of the downhills, like the one close to the hydro-electric power station was not fun without front brakes! Anyway, we made it to Clarksbury without incurring any time bars. The reason why I am mentioning this though is because a brake reservoir cap is not something one carries in one's spare bin, so I had to resort to cruel and unsympathetic tactics...  Once showered and cleaned up, I noticed a guy limping badly, obviously in pain. I followed him to his car and noticed a KTM on his trailer. He was out of the ride due to a pulled glute. After some sweet-talk, I managed to persuade him to sell me his reservoir cap. To the owner of the white FJ Cruiser, thank you!

Sorry for the long-winded hijack Michiel. I've really enjoyed your report.

These are just the sort of stories that capture the identity of the event. Scavenging parts from the stricken to keep
on going. Love it!  :thumleft:

I've said this before. For a ride starting at the coast and ending on top of the mountains Sea to Ski has some serious
downhills. One would think there should be mostly uphills...  ::) No front brakes on those sections - certain trouble.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2014, 08:13:26 pm »
Yeah we had a story with one of our riders from Oz who lost the oil filler cap from his Freeride - at the 2nd DSP on day one I was trying to make a plan with tinfoil and duct tape when it transpired in banter between other riders that someone had found a filler cap - yeah must have been the lost one! Fuck what a luck and he was quick to go  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »
By the time my group of riders made it to the top of Pondo's we were completely stuffed.
I felt bad in leaving the rest behind and went down to help one or two more riders before
we left the scene. Ruan piloted numerous bikes up the last 50m and was strangely also a
bit tired because for the next 20km he rode just normally and didn't pop any wheelies nor
did he zig-zag across the veld to jump over every anthill in sight as he normally does.

We have been out of water for the last 3 hours and when we spotted little streams trickling
out of the grassy highlands at the top of Pondo's I fell on my knees and slurped the water
right from the rocks like a camel that has just crossed the Sahara. Best tasting and revitalizing
water I've ever swallowed!

To my surprise we were indeed still a long way from the refuel as the first riding section merely
ended at the top of Pondo's and the second just had to be selected on the GPS. Abeit our tired
and battered bodies we enjoyed the next 30km of really scenic riding across what is now
Eastern Cape mountain territory. The track took us up and down sections that reminded me
of Dargle the year before. Here are some pictures from 2013's Dargle that could just as well have
been where we were riding. Same thing. The farmers have fenced off servitude "lanes" up the
mountains so the cattle can travel to the high pastures in summer. Because of erosion these
tracks have become a enduro riders heaven.  >:D

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2014, 08:49:40 pm »
Nearing Rhodes and the last refuel for the day we were beginning to travel on better
and better farm roads. Descending from the high mountains we looked down upon numerous
farms, each a perfect picture of green pastures, white flocks of sheep, neat houses and poplar
trees growing beside clear streams of water rushing over smooth rounded stones.

Back on district roads Ruan and I had fun riding side-by-side with him now back in the mood
of wheelies and power slides. At one point he almost lost it because his throttle got stuck midst
a long wheelie. Only his Jedi-like reflexes could have saved him. I stopped next to him and it seemed
like he had the problem sorted. Losper and I continued. Some way down the road I noticed Ruan
was not coming. At the same time I noticed David have been so thirsty I was almost out of petrol.

Losper went looking for Ruan while I waited. Soon after he got it unstuck his throttle cable snapped
completely and left him broken down. By the time I saw Losper towing Ruan I have been waiting
for just too long and was really impatient. First I waited for them to sort out the clutch, then I waited
for them to sort out the spark plug, then I waited some more for them to have another go at the
clutch, then came the massive wait at Pondos and now waiting on Ruan...

Losper towing Ruan.

Seeing them managing I rode ahead to the refuel which was now only 5km away... and then I made
a wrong turn, burnt my last petrol before I could correct my mistake and David died on me!!!

The shadows were stretching long across the deserted gravel road with the sun a rich yellow afternoon
shade right over the crests of the mountains. The sheep had already flocked to the kraal and the birds
have already roosted on top of the old tree standing alone on the hillside.

Worst feeling of my day. I was on the wrong road, nobody in sight, no phone to call for help and
my team didn't know where I was because I rode ahead... boy did I pay for this mistake. I pushed
David for about a kilometer uphill. It took me an hour. I was so exhausted I had to stop and lie down
every 10m. Riding Pondo's twice would have been easier. Now that pap mousse in the rear wheel
made me pay. I was already making plans to sleep next to a bush by the roadside when I heard a
2T behind the rise. I have never been so happy to see Losper... thank goodness.  :P

He came to my rescue with 1L of petrol, just enough to get me to the refuel where our back-up team
have been waiting all bloody day.

There was not a hole deep enough that I could hide in so stupid did I feel!

After the refuel we made a hare scramble, on roads, to the finish arriving in the dark and freezing cold.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:12:51 pm by Michiel »

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2014, 09:03:04 pm »
At Tiffindell I climbed off David and went straight to the restaurant to have dinner.
A quick and much needed shower followed and then I collapsed on my bed. Nearly
fell asleep on the patch of heated floor in the bathroom when I brushed my teeth.

This is the view from my bedroom window the next morning. We were treated to what
must have been 5 star accommodation to make up for all the tent sleeping.

The Bedroom.

View from the staircase window.

David's hours at the start and then at the finish.

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2014, 09:06:15 pm »
You know, we all have problems. At home, at work, some more than others.
Sea to Ski gives you a 3-day break from all of it.

fluit-fluit, my storie is uit
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:06:50 pm by Michiel »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2014, 10:38:04 pm »
Lekker story, Michiel - Thanks.

I smiled at your misfortune with the fuel. Thats poetic justice for the impatience. ;D
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2014, 06:04:39 am »
That orange wristband handed out at registration with TTFU is a great motto and momento  ::) :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2014, 08:44:58 am »
Noooooooo. Kan nie glo jou report is klaar nie. Loved it.
Jul sal nog random fotos moet post. Refuse to accept its all over

Offline BLK

« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2014, 09:05:58 am »
Excellent RR.You keep stuffing up my work as I get nothing done!!

A side question:How is the Tiffendale resort/hotel now that it has been revamped/taken over?Would you recommend it as a long weekend stay over?

thks again
Bruce

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2014, 09:34:10 am »
Thanks Michiel. Best ride report this year.
'69 Model.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2014, 09:49:57 am »
Michiel, you were not alone in running out of fuel. The last 20km before the last refuel saw many bikes either running or having to switch to reserve. After filling up, one of our back up vehicles went back out and dispensed our last 45 litres of fuel to stricken riders along the road. I'm sure quite a few riders were very chuffed to see that white Amarok.

You're so right Michiel. Post event, it's all the hiccups, frustrations and challenges that make this event such an adventure, although when in the middle of it, we question why we do this.

'69 Model.

Offline Mooch

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2014, 01:06:05 pm »

DS helmets are made with a large visor/opening to take goggles. Get the goggles and quick straps now and use with the DS helmet.
You can then compare the visor and goggles in an enduro environment and give us some feedback....

With quick straps you can put the goggles on the back of the helmet out of the way while using the visor.

Disclaimer: I have an enduro helmet but without a visor and use goggles with a normal strap. I do however find that the goggles do not fit so well in the visor opening.

+1

Quick strap is the answer. Goggles do tend to fit better in an enduro / mx helmet though.
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2014, 12:19:53 am »
I think I just found next years great riding event that I will be doing. Time to get the right tool for the job and practice lots.
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2014, 06:47:07 pm »
Excellent RR.You keep stuffing up my work as I get nothing done!!

A side question:How is the Tiffendale resort/hotel now that it has been revamped/taken over?Would you recommend it as a long weekend stay over?

thks again
Bruce
Tiffendel is OK. In the daylight one can see it needs some love... I think it would be more appealing in winter though.
'69 Model.