Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike died on me today  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Bensien

Bike died on me today
« on: October 11, 2014, 05:37:55 pm »
Took the DR for a blast through the veld behind Irene this afternoon. All of a sudden it starts splattering and dies. I check fuel, spark, everything works. Push it home in my stiff new mx boots, most of it uphill. Try to start it every few minutes, but no luck. When Iím almost home, I try it again and it roars into life. Runs like clockwork from there. Now what?
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline BLK

Re: Bike died on me today
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 05:55:12 pm »
Turned off the "Off/ Button" by mistake?

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 07:15:04 pm »
Sidestand switch - sommer bypass it while you at it

Offline Bensien

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 07:32:12 pm »
Sidestand switch - sommer bypass it while you at it

Already bypassed the side stand and clutch switches.

Offline Sharingroads

• Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 07:35:02 pm »
Vuil carb.

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 07:39:55 pm »
 :sip: Nuwe 'n tegniek om nuwe MX boot ingeloop te kry.  :lamer:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Bensien

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »
Vuil carb.

Nee man. Ek het die bike net verlede week gewas. Die carb is silwerskoon. :biggrin:

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 07:46:01 pm »
Vuil carb.

Nee man. Ek het die bike net verlede week gewas. Die carb is silwerskoon. :biggrin:

:sip: Ja nee, Benzien, daars nie hoop vir jou nie :bueller:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Bensien

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 08:05:26 pm »
Jokes aside, this is the bike I want to use for the big solo trip that I have been dreaming about for a long time. I need to be sure that it is bulletproof and not going to give me any surprises like it did today. Iím going to strip and clean the carb tomorrow and fit an inline fuel filter. Tonight Iím just going to rub Arnica on my ankles. They are bruised purple from pushing the bike home in those boots

Offline StuartC

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 08:19:29 pm »
First thing I would suggest,,, buy more comfy boots !
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Sharingroads

• Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 05:31:00 am »
Vuil carb.

Gee dan die bike 'n man se naam. Vrouens is rukkerig.

Offline Bensien

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 08:56:28 am »
I found the problem. If I allow the carb to run dry and the bike dies, it does not want to start when the fuel supply is restored.  It probably causes a vacuum lock somewhere. I switched to reserve after it died and the petrol was flowing, but by then it was too late. Must make a mental note not to let it run dry.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 06:15:47 pm »
Do you have an aftermarket tank fitted?

Offline Bensien

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 08:14:01 pm »
Acerbis with taps on both sides snd rhe vacuum actuator to rhe original tap blanked off.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 08:20:09 pm »
Acerbis with taps on both sides snd rhe vacuum actuator to rhe original tap blanked off.

I remember when I hadvmy Clark tank I had to switch over to reserve before the carb ran dry. If I was too late it was time for a few smokes and relaxing by the road. No vacuum meant that I had to wait for the thing to gravity feed the carb.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 08:33:17 am »
OEM tap. Turn to PRI if you run dry. No hassles.
The Clarke takes the OEM tap (?)

Still: If you turn a manual tap to RES after running dry you should be able to start almost immediately (like after 10 seconds max.) unless something else is wrong.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Louis Photo

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 09:03:11 am »
I found the problem. If I allow the carb to run dry and the bike dies, it does not want to start when the fuel supply is restored.  It probably causes a vacuum lock somewhere. I switched to reserve after it died and the petrol was flowing, but by then it was too late. Must make a mental note not to let it run dry.

My DRZ with a Safari tank also does that if I allow it to run dry. Blowing into the breather pipe or taking the fuel cap off, and waiting 5 minutes sometimes help.

Offline Bensien

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 09:16:04 am »

My DRZ with a Safari tank also does that if I allow it to run dry. Blowing into the breather pipe or taking the fuel cap off, and waiting 5 minutes sometimes help.

When I tested it yesterday, it took more than 15 minutes before it would start again. I could fit the original tap, but the Acerbis works best with taps on both sides. I will just have to be faster in switching to reserve in future.

Offline pielas

• Moderator: Hunting and Shooting Section
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Don't dream it. Be it.
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 07:49:14 am »
Also have the same problem with my IMS when I run dry. Have found that removing the fuel cap and blowing into the tank while cranking the engine does the trick. The inline filter only makes it worse though. Try to get one with a L bend in the filter, as there is not a lot of space down there and you might have to loop the fuel line, which also cause airlocks.
5. Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the
skid demon!  --- 1962 Honda instruction manual

Offline micko01

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • DR650 build thread on adv
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 11:22:46 am »

When I tested it yesterday, it took more than 15 minutes before it would start again. I could fit the original tap, but the Acerbis works best with taps on both sides. I will just have to be faster in switching to reserve in future.

Bensien, you still running the standard bst40 carb? If so, rotating the fuel inlet barb will help the fuel flow under gravity. I did mine with a shifter, it's screams and creaks a bit but will come around. With my aqualine safari tank, the fuel inlet barb rotated and the fuel lines run well I could always start the bike immediately after switching to reserve.

I've since swapped to a tm40 which has a swivelling inlet barb and i can do the same thing with that too, run dry swap to reserve and start. And that's with a fuel filter too.

Cheers.