Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike died on me today  (Read 1576 times)

Offline micko01

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • DR650 build thread on adv
Re: Bike died on me today
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 11:26:07 am »
also, there is a little white fuel filter that sits in the inlet barb, pull that out and check it. If the sieve starts to block it will reduce flow and exacerbate the problem

Good luck.

Offline Bensien

Re: Bike died on me today
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 02:08:36 pm »
I found the problem. If I allow the carb to run dry and the bike dies, it does not want to start when the fuel supply is restored.  It probably causes a vacuum lock somewhere. I switched to reserve after it died and the petrol was flowing, but by then it was too late. Must make a mental note not to let it run dry.

My DRZ with a Safari tank also does that if I allow it to run dry. Blowing into the breather pipe or taking the fuel cap off, and waiting 5 minutes sometimes help.

When I tested it yesterday, it took more than 15 minutes before it would start again. I could fit the original tap, but the Acerbis works best with taps on both sides. I will just have to be faster in switching to reserve in future.

Bensien, you still running the standard bst40 carb? If so, rotating the fuel inlet barb will help the fuel flow under gravity. I did mine with a shifter, it's screams and creaks a bit but will come around. With my aqualine safari tank, the fuel inlet barb rotated and the fuel lines run well I could always start the bike immediately after switching to reserve.

I've since swapped to a tm40 which has a swivelling inlet barb and i can do the same thing with that too, run dry swap to reserve and start. And that's with a fuel filter too.

Cheers.

Iíve got two taps on my bike, connected by a T-piece. This limits my mounting options, but enables me to get to the fuel in the right side of the tank without laying the bike on its side. I am considering modifying the tank to take two vacuum actuated taps   
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?