Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: SA - Namibia - Angola Trip  (Read 1098 times)

Offline zeferreira

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
SA - Namibia - Angola Trip
« on: March 21, 2008, 02:39:03 am »
Hi you all !!!
I just joined your site and will be in South Africa April 7th for a two months trip in Africa.
I am looking to buy a KLR 650 or similar and traveling on two wheels.
I need some tips on what is the best way to get the bike-  should i buy it from a dealer or is buying it used from a private party not a problem?  Any issues on taking the bike accross borders?  Has anyone done this and what was their experience to cross into Angola?  I would love to hear from anyone as i don't know anybody in South Africa.

thanks
z.

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
Re: SA - Namibia - Angola Trip
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 06:39:23 am »
Tell us more about yourself.
Where do you come from?
Will you sell the bike again ?
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline zeferreira

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:09:30 am »
here more on me and the plan... as it develops.
i was born in Angola but have lived all my adult life in the USA.  Professionally i am an engineer but have spent the last decade primarely as a business consultant/coach. My primary reason for visiting Africa is to connect with the people and learn more about the native cultures.  In the last few years i have spent a great deal of time on the timeless question of " the meaning of life" at least as it pertains to " why am i here"

now to the motorbike ... i want to get around Angola, Namibia and South Africa easily and being a motorbike enthusiast- well i don't need to explain. If you are on this site you understand the Bike bug thing. 
I ride a BMW here in the states but after some research decided to get a KLR650 instead of a BMW.  One of my considerations is that i would like to sell the bike in Angola before leaving for the states and also in case of loss - to minimize my financial hit.

If you can tell me what specific GPS maps i should get and also do you know of anyone in SA who makes an engine/tank guard and a luggage rack for the KLR???

thank you for your reply

z.

Camelman

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:29:42 am »
I don't know much on the selling of bikes in Angola. (If you can get a expat to buy one!). But you'll probably have to pay import duty into Angola if you plan to sell the bike there.

You can buy any GPS which is waterproof and can take downloadable maps, then go to www.tracks4africa.co.za and buy the maps you are interested in.

Angola is much better these days, and if you search the forum, you'll find some guys wha have been to Angola on bikes.

The easiest option is to buy a 2005 model KLR650 second hand in South Africa, then take it for a full service at a Kawasaki dealer. From Jo'burg you can cross Botswana via the Trans-Kalagadi highway into Namibia. Then from Windhoek in Nam, go north to Angola. I actually think there is a Kawa dealer in Windhoek these days. You'll anyway find bike shops there if you need last minute parts or something.

Thats my two bits. Good luck.  :)

David van Breda

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:29:31 am »
. . .   In the last few years i have spent a great deal of time on the timeless question of " the meaning of life" at least as it pertains to " why am i here"
z.

Well this one is easy!  I think we are here to ride man!! ;D

Welcome to Wild Dogs.  You have certainly arrived at the right spot for information on the region, especially South Africa/Namibia. 

Stay in touch  ;)

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 03:56:14 pm »
I actually think there is a Kawa dealer in Windhoek these days.

There is but my experience with them has been really bad so I'd stay well clear of them.
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

bobnob

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 04:13:21 pm »
hi

talk to captain slow - he has his klr 650 for sale all kitted out with gps and everything for 24k

cheers
bobnob

Offline zeferreira

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 04:39:27 pm »
hello
Bobnob - where do i find out about captain slow?
Lotch67 - can you tell me more specifics?
I need to finalize my decision on what bike to get and need all input i can get.
My main considerations are - large fuel tank, reliability of course, able to carry 150 Kg (rider and gear)

thanks

Offline oo7

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 06:25:15 pm »
hello
Bobnob - where do i find out about captain slow?

thanks

his ad with the KLR for sale is at:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=16235.msg150208;boardseen#new

Offline Cane Rat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Doing time in Angola
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 12:15:29 pm »
Hi zeferriera,

I am currently in Angola (Luanda to be more specefic). I believe the road from Namibia into Angola is quite good as we have resorted to trucking equipment up to Luanda instead of bringing in via sea or air (its actually quicker). I don't know when last you were here, but chances are good that you will not know the place. There is a huge amount of developement going on, especially in  the Luanda area. It still, however remains a very challenging country.

I've only been here for little more than a month now so I haven't seen much and I'm still getting to grips with the way things work here. What I can say, is that there are loads of bikes here, but mostly the small capacity "Disposable" types. I have however seen a couple of superbikes R6, R1, CBR's etc and a few Kawa KLE500's and even a few KTM's. No KLR seen yet.

I will try and find out about bringing a bike into the country and about selling it here and get back to you as soon as I have anything worth mentioning. Just bear in mind that things happen very slowly around here so it might take some time.

One thing you have to prepare for, is the way they drive here. These guys are nuts, bonkers, insane....... Take the worst driving you've ever seen, multiply that by 1000, and you won't come close to these guys. I'm stuck here without my bike. it's very frustrating, but sometimes I think it's a blessing in disguise.

Hopefully I'll have some info for you shortly.

Take care
Wat ek is, is net genade.
Wat ek het, is net geleen!
(Koos du Plessis)