Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So, I rode a 2000cc Harley Davidson.. See page 6..  (Read 11962 times)

Offline K-9

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: So, I rode a Harley Davidson today!!
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2014, 11:01:37 am »
At the Africa bike week I took a few for a spin, not a bad, nice ride, nice bikes, in fact very nice bikes, different, BUT -

BUT "all I could think was "What for?". I'm not saying I don't like them, I just find that they aren't for me." unquote.

Nothing against harley's in general. 

1. I am against ridiculously uncomfortable unbearable noisy bikes.  (there is no dirt bike, as bad as a loud harley).
2. I have a problem trying to get past a very slow staggered convoy taking over the complete road, this must be were the term hog comes from??.
3. and against washing & polishing bikes.  I live by the sea.

Harley riders - it's a lifestyle.  just like, KTM or BM riders.  harleys it is more a fashion statement.

Would I get a Harley; possible, never say never; but a quiet one with no chrome or shiny bits that need washing or polishing, more than just
a hp cleaner and then a blown dry??? 

Africa Bike Week, the dates for 2015 are 23 to 27 April, well worth a visit.  Even for non Harley fans.

Great family 4x4 accommodation ... see Facebook, Google maps and airbnb.. Mkulu Kei / Wild Wind Ranch

Bikes owned in the past: AC50, AC100, SP370, XT185E, GS550CE, DL650 V-strom, GS650, DR650, GSA1200 2009, GSA1200 2011: GSA1200LC 2014, GS800.

Still own or sponsor today: GSA 1200 LC tft adventure 2018, Honda CTX200 bushlander, Yamaha rhino 660, GS800 2011 (daughter), GSA1200 adventure LC 2016 (son).

Offline Ortos

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • "Ride to Ride another day"
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2014, 12:24:57 pm »
Awesome  :thumleft: hier was lanklaas 'n regte skandaal op die forum.

+1 Skandes en dan is daar nog kiekies ook :biggrin: :biggrin:
- Some people are like clouds, once they fuck-off it turns into a
  beautiful day!

Online ROOI

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2014, 12:36:56 pm »
For a while now I have looked at the odd Harley here and there and decided today that it is time to take one for a spin. I had a brochure at home and was specifically interested in the Road King classic.

Anyway I pitched at Harley Zambesi with a very dirty KTM but was received like a king.. :peepwall:, told them I would like to see a Road King classic and 5 min later 2 of them stood outside for a testride. (Testride was offered not asked for). One was a 2014 model and the other one a 2013 model, both 103 cubic inch or 1690cc..

I took out the 2013 one (the white one) and struggled initially. The clutch is very fast and the seating position very very weird. But once I got going everything was good. About 5km further the bike started to stutter and then died on me (felt like it was running out of fuel). Got it going again, but it died another 2km further. I called Harley and they were there in a few minutes with the 2014 model and a car and trailer. I swopped bikes and took the 2014 model onto the Rustenburg N4 highway.

I took the bike up to 140km/h and activated the cruise control, sat back and just cruised for a good 20km before turning around.. :drif: :drif:.. I MUST SAY, I TOTALLY GET IT NOW.. WHAT A NICE SENSATION..

But...
The power was a serious let down. The bike couldn't really accelerate in 6th gear at 140km/h on a flat road.. It did pick up speed but just so slow.
The gearbox is also very clunky
The brakes could be improved
It get's very very hot sitting on that engine at a robot
And why the hell does it cost R280,000?

The postives:
The seat is awesome
The cruising is awesome
The bike feels a lot lighter than I expected and actually handled great for it's weight
Service was awesome
Cool sounding engin

General:
It will take me some time to get used to the engine vibrations.
I got a lot of attention from other drivers.. Way more than I get when riding the KTM

If I had the bucks now, I probably would have bought it but would put other filters and pipes on and will take it for a dyno. Apparently it makes a big difference according to the sales lady.

Hoe lekker lag ek nou :imaposer: .Regter Poser bike
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:37:37 pm by REDRIDER »
FTS

Online ROOI

• Race Dog
  • KTM 990 S KTM 500 EXC AKA Red Rider
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »
I've also been drooling over that Indian. It's a thing of beauty
Must say it is pretty  :thumleft:
FTS

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2014, 01:03:24 pm »
For a while now I have looked at the odd Harley here and there and decided today that it is time to take one for a spin. I had a brochure at home and was specifically interested in the Road King classic.

Anyway I pitched at Harley Zambesi with a very dirty KTM but was received like a king.. :peepwall:, told them I would like to see a Road King classic and 5 min later 2 of them stood outside for a testride. (Testride was offered not asked for). One was a 2014 model and the other one a 2013 model, both 103 cubic inch or 1690cc..

I took out the 2013 one (the white one) and struggled initially. The clutch is very fast and the seating position very very weird. But once I got going everything was good. About 5km further the bike started to stutter and then died on me (felt like it was running out of fuel). Got it going again, but it died another 2km further. I called Harley and they were there in a few minutes with the 2014 model and a car and trailer. I swopped bikes and took the 2014 model onto the Rustenburg N4 highway.

I took the bike up to 140km/h and activated the cruise control, sat back and just cruised for a good 20km before turning around.. :drif: :drif:.. I MUST SAY, I TOTALLY GET IT NOW.. WHAT A NICE SENSATION..

But...
The power was a serious let down. The bike couldn't really accelerate in 6th gear at 140km/h on a flat road.. It did pick up speed but just so slow.
The gearbox is also very clunky
The brakes could be improved
It get's very very hot sitting on that engine at a robot
And why the hell does it cost R280,000?

The postives:
The seat is awesome
The cruising is awesome
The bike feels a lot lighter than I expected and actually handled great for it's weight
Service was awesome
Cool sounding engin

General:
It will take me some time to get used to the engine vibrations.
I got a lot of attention from other drivers.. Way more than I get when riding the KTM

If I had the bucks now, I probably would have bought it but would put other filters and pipes on and will take it for a dyno. Apparently it makes a big difference according to the sales lady.

Hoe lekker lag ek nou :imaposer: .Regter Poser bike
Daarmee stry ek nie, dit is 'n poser bike, maar nogsteeds 'n lekker om te cruise mee poser bike.. :lol8:
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2014, 01:03:54 pm »
Awesome  :thumleft: hier was lanklaas 'n regte skandaal op die forum.

+1 Skandes en dan is daar nog kiekies ook :biggrin: :biggrin:
:P
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline TOURAG

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2014, 02:53:29 pm »
Always wanted one - occasionally popped into the Morningside dealer - always a pleasant reception even though I was only "browsing"
Then a month ago I walked in there looking to possibly buy an entry level "883" - "Friday bike" - Sorry no stock new shipment only available in November.
A bit disappointed - But on my way out  I wandered over to a "72" - I just had to have this in my garage - so I closed my eyes and signed the papers - forgiveness could be asked for later. To say the least, its a far cry from a GS - will never be - its a "poser" bike nothing else - however the smile and feel it gives :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2014, 04:59:39 pm »
If you think a Harley is expensive, check out the prices on the Indian range.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2014, 06:44:06 pm »
How does it compare to a zimmer frame?  :peepwall:  :pot:
'tsek Jy!..... the Zimmer frame is lighter and handles better around the bends! :lol8:

and the zimmer is faster, and leaks less oil  :pot:

Oh, and its quieter too  :lol8:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Airguitar

• I prefer girls that sing soprano.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2014, 07:11:53 am »
Rode a Harley, huh?

You're dead to me.....
 >:(
My rides:
2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC.
Honda VF750S
Boeing 747

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2014, 07:18:54 am »
If you think a Harley is expensive, check out the prices on the Indian range.

The Indian manufacturers could still sort of try to justify price on the bases of sort of handbuilt, smaller numbers,etc.

The HD's are production line bikes, surely?

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2014, 07:41:16 am »
Always wanted one - occasionally popped into the Morningside dealer - always a pleasant reception even though I was only "browsing"
Then a month ago I walked in there looking to possibly buy an entry level "883" - "Friday bike" - Sorry no stock new shipment only available in November.
A bit disappointed - But on my way out  I wandered over to a "72" - I just had to have this in my garage - so I closed my eyes and signed the papers - forgiveness could be asked for later. To say the least, its a far cry from a GS - will never be - its a "poser" bike nothing else - however the smile and feel it gives :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I was there last week to check them out, took a while for them to warm up to me but then the service was just great.
The sales guy did not try to push anything on me, very accommodating and offered to let me ride any of the bikes on the floor.

I would like one, in particular i want a Breakout, but at R250K i doubt it will happen anytime soon  :biggrin:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Hentie06

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2014, 08:02:04 am »
Just bought my first, will definitely not be my last  :ricky:
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2014, 08:56:42 am »
Harley's are too expensive. If you disect what your rands get you, they are overpriced.

BUT.....they are indeed, like Jupiter said, cool rides. Remember, they are the absolute original of this genre. The original.

I am a staunch Jap bike fan, but whether it is a Boulevard, Dragstar, Intruder or Royal Star, it will remain a copy. And seen as that.

I own an awesome Yamaha Wildstar which is copy of the Roadking, from the V-twin 1600 cc air cooled push rod engine to the belt drive. And being a Yamaha this thing will never let you down.

I often take this bike out of the garage ahead of my DS bikes and the more I ride it the more I enjoy it.

I especially love dragging cars from the lights, and have yet had one come even close, which surprises the hell out of most of them (I must have a perverted sense of humor)  :laughing4:  It is not surprising really, with the performance pipes etc fitted, this bike produces a ton of torque and can do 0-100 in pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:55:42 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline heinzz

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2014, 09:40:02 am »
My HD was the first road bike that I bought and owned other than MBX 50 that I had for a few months at school. I have started riding bikes on the farm since the age 10 and really never had the urge to ride bikes on tar. A few years ago I had time to burn and I walked into a HD dealership purely out of curiosity and saw a bike that I liked, not because it was a HD but  what it looked like and the ease I could change it on a plug and play basis to the perfect look I wanted (like we do with our DS bikes). I bought the bike without a test ride nothing. I just wanted it. At the time I did not even had a license as I never needed one before. Before the bike had 500km on I have spend about half its purchases price in customizing it to the look I wanted. Only then not knowing what else to do with it besides looking at it, I started riding it on longer distance trips when I found myself back in SA. On these trips the bike grew on me and became more that only an ornament in my garage, and I liked it. Totally different from my gravel and off road stuff. It became a quick way of escaping the city and its people. I have replace off road and DS bikes previously without a thought but doubt that the HD will follow the same route. It is eight years young now and like TRex has said on the forum before " only death and the Sheriff will part you from your bike"  

Offline Hammerhead

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2014, 11:41:49 am »
I am actually with Oom Daan on this one.
I recon the quality and specifically the materials used on the bikes as they come from the factory do not warrant the asking price.
My brother in law bought a Fatboy - which he loves. He also got the accessory bible with the bike which he used to good effect.
The aftermarket HD stuff is in a different league though.
Clever

Offline paulb

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2014, 02:00:58 pm »
Het ook verlede week een gekry sonder om te toets bestuur , het toe sondag op n breakfast run gegaan en het 420 km ver gery sonder n pyn of problem.

My eerste mod was n topbox  :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it

Offline grim101

Re: Re: So, I rode a Harley Davidson today!!
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2014, 02:17:42 pm »

Weet nie of die harley gemaklik is nie...maar as dit oor looks gaan sal dit die enigste harley wees wat ek in my garage wil hê.
XT 250
XL 500
KLR 650 (Fugly)
DL 650

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2014, 02:32:46 pm »
Harley's are too expensive. If you disect what your rands get you, they are overpriced.

BUT.....they are indeed, like Jupiter said, cool rides. Remember, they are the absolute original of this genre. The original.

I am a staunch Jap bike fan, but whether it is a Boulevard, Dragstar, Intruder or Royal Star, it will remain a copy. And seen as that.

I own an awesome Yamaha Wildstar which is copy of the Roadking, from the V-twin 1600 cc air cooled push rod engine to the belt drive. And being a Yamaha this thing will never let you down.

I often take this bike out of the garage ahead of my DS bikes and the more I ride it the more I enjoy it.

I especially love dragging cars from the lights, and have yet had one come even close, which surprises the hell out of most of them (I must have a perverted sense of humor)  :laughing4:  It is not surprising really, with the performance pipes etc fitted, this bike produces a ton of torque and can do 0-100 in pretty quickly.
Yes but that is like buying a MX6 and telling everyone "yes but it looks like an Italian sports car"  :biggrin:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Bells

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2014, 02:50:03 pm »
As my triumph tiger verkoop gaan ek n cruiser koop. Besluit nog tussen die Triumph Rocket3 en die HD softail.

Hou my MX bike darem om in modder te speel

Honda CRF250R '10
Triumph Tiger 955i '06