Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to Unlock a Garmin image file for Nav 5  (Read 2614 times)

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
How to Unlock a Garmin image file for Nav 5
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:25:59 am »
Right so there is clearly a need to unlock the original file that you have purchased so you can get a bigger memory SD card on the Nav5.

I am no expert but I have got my Nav5 to work with a 16gig memory card.

First thing type in Google "Download Gimgunlock"
Click on the first topic , which is gps underground

This forum will pop up and you will see on the first post is a link.

In the post you will see right click and save target as . Find a convenient spot desktop.

I have found a spot under downloads

Ok next you need to extract the zipped files out of their download folder . Right click and extract. Choose a destination

Next step is to copy your map folder from your Garmin SD card. Make sure you copy and not cut the file off. Find a convenient spot for this file.

I named this BMW garmin

Now let's open two folders where you saved gimgunlock and your garmin map file gmapsupp and place them next to each other like so.

Next step you drag your garmin map file across and place it on top of the gimgunlock

Once it stops the commands voila your map is unlocked and ready to be copied to any SD card you like.

Cheers hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline Edd

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
Re: How to Unlock a Garmin image file for Nav 5
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:41:34 pm »
Thank you Bryan,

did it and it works.  :ricky: :ricky:
Face your Fears, Live your Dreams

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 08:12:19 am »
Hi Bryan, does this process allow you to place the map file onto the device itself? Or is it simply to be able to place the map onto a bigger SD card? I went through the unlock process, and copied the map to the device itself and removed the SD card but the nav does not see the unlocked map.

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 02:00:18 pm »
Hey Oom D, let me do a little investigation on how to copy maps onto the device to free up space on the sd card. I think it will have something to do with the file name on your device so it can recognize where the map file is kept.

I will revert with my findings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 03:58:58 pm »
Select the maps while in Mapsource and transfer to the device.

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 06:23:02 pm »
Mapsource has been replaced by Basecamp, and does not run on a mac anyway. Also, mapsource allows you to transfer PC based maps tp the device, but what I want to do is to transfer maps form the device's SD card to the device's internal memory (so that I can free up space on the SD card). Hope this helps?

I have Garmin's MapManager and MapInstall programs for the mac, but they also only allow maps on the PC to be transferred to the device.

Offline Smithers

Re: Re: How to Unlock a Garmin image file for Nav 5
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:57:29 pm »
Thanks for the info Bryan did everything ass illustrated and all works well now saved the maps ona 32gig memory card and downloaded all my music on it tested and everything is working.  I owe you a cold one.

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Edd

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:11:40 pm »
Thanks for the info Bryan did everything ass illustrated and all works well now saved the maps ona 32gig memory card and downloaded all my music on it tested and everything is working.  I owe you a cold one.

So happy that we can finally use bigger sd cards.  :thumleft:
Face your Fears, Live your Dreams

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 05:02:57 am »

Great to hear !
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 05:04:18 am »
Mapsource has been replaced by Basecamp, and does not run on a mac anyway. Also, mapsource allows you to transfer PC based maps tp the device, but what I want to do is to transfer maps form the device's SD card to the device's internal memory (so that I can free up space on the SD card). Hope this helps?

I have Garmin's MapManager and MapInstall programs for the mac, but they also only allow maps on the PC to be transferred to the device.

Here is an how to load map onto device , there is a Mac illustration let me know if it works !

Cheers
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 05:40:19 am »

Here is an how to load map onto device , there is a Mac illustration let me know if it works !

Cheers

Bryan, your google-fu clearly surpasses mine, thanks for the link. Alas, it show you how to load maps that exist on your computer onto your device. What I have is the maps already on the SD card, but want to move it to the device's internal memory. I cannot even load the maps onto my computer first.

Thanks anyway, maybe I should just google it more. Well, either that or simply buy a bigger SD card.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 05:52:02 am »

Cheers

Bryan, your google-fu clearly surpasses mine, thanks for the link. Alas, it show you how to load maps that exist on your computer onto your device. What I have is the maps already on the SD card, but want to move it to the device's internal memory. I cannot even load the maps onto my computer first.

Thanks anyway, maybe I should just google it more. Well, either that or simply buy a bigger SD card.

Can you not retrieve the maps from the SD Card with Basecamp?

Once you manage this you could put it back onto the device with Mapinstall.

Ps: This is why I keep Mapsource on my PC. Sometimes certain actions are just better/easier using Mapsource.

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 06:07:53 am »

Cheers

Can you not retrieve the maps from the SD Card with Basecamp?

Once you manage this you could put it back onto the device with Mapinstall.

Ps: This is why I keep Mapsource on my PC. Sometimes certain actions are just better/easier using Mapsource.
Nope, I even started my old windows in a VM to use mapsource (there's no mapsource for the mac) but it keeps saying my device already has the latest maps and wont allow me to ann new maps.

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 06:14:41 am »
Got it!

OK, I had to gippo the garmin a bit, trick it into doing what I want it to do. Here's how to move your maps from SD card to device internal memory:

1. Follow Bryan's procedure (earlier in this thread) to copy the maps onto your computer and unlock them.
2. With Finder on the mac browse to the hidden folder on your garmin device, called ".System". You will have to tell Finder to show hidden folders to see it.
3. Copy the maps img file into this folder.
4. Rename the existing gmapbmap.img to an arbitrary name (just to keep a backup)
5. Rename your gmapsupp.img to gmapbmap.img
6. Eject your device and reset it.

The trick is, if the device finds no maps it uses the default base map, which is stored in this hidden folder. By storing my (unlocked) map there as the base map the device simply thinks there is no map and reverts to using the base map, which is now the full map set.

Some points to note:
1. I don't know if windows explorer can "see" the hidden ".System" folder. Maybe someone with windows can try this?
2. I don't know if the map will have reduced functionality because the device thinks it is the base map. I have tested all my POI's (they're stored in the POI folder anyway, separately from the maps) and routing and everything seems fine.
3. Following these instructions I managed to use my navigator even without the SD card.
4. If an SD card is present the device will always look there for maps first, before reverting to internal memory and finally the base maps.

Bryan, thanks for your help and input.
Hope this helps someone.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:17:02 am by OomD »

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 06:20:03 am »
Nice Oom, glad I could help!
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007

Offline abnormaload

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 09:26:59 am »
Yip, .System is a bit tricky to find....