Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Auto Alpina - Beware  (Read 4418 times)

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Auto Alpina - Beware
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 05:40:36 am »
Who would have thought you would pay more for bike tyres at a dealership??
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Online Bensien

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 07:59:30 am »
We live in a free market society. A dealer is allowed to charge whatever price the market will bear, and you are allowed to shop around for the best price. The alternative is price control, where you pay one price whether you consider it reasonable or not.

It is your responsibility to check and compare prices. If you paid more than you could have, itís your own fault. Donít assume that if you are loyal to a dealer, he will be loyal to you as well. 
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Online Bensien

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 08:01:02 am »
Sorry double post
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:04:02 am by Bensien »

Offline Marc D

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Just Ride !
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 08:07:13 am »
True, irrespective of the coffee and cookies offered at the one place.
CURRENT BIKES:'03 Kawa KDX 200,'06 BMW R 1200 GS,'10 Triumph Street Triple R,'13 Honda XR 650 L
PREVIOUS: 70's Honda MT 50 ( 3 Years), '84 Honda XR 500 RE (23 Years), '05 Yamaha R1 ( 9 months)

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 08:30:57 am »
Kak en be taal! Die wet van Transvaal!

Have a mate in PE who has been testing a new tyre (knobbly) for a tyre company! Talk of them selling a set at R 1400!! That's front and back for R 1400 total!!!

Tread pattern looks somewhere between the Karoo 2 and 3!!!!

Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Offline Marc D

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Just Ride !
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 08:36:18 am »
As dit te goed klink om waar te wees .....

Wat se maak is dit ? Ching Chong ?
CURRENT BIKES:'03 Kawa KDX 200,'06 BMW R 1200 GS,'10 Triumph Street Triple R,'13 Honda XR 650 L
PREVIOUS: 70's Honda MT 50 ( 3 Years), '84 Honda XR 500 RE (23 Years), '05 Yamaha R1 ( 9 months)

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 10:51:19 am »

Have a mate in PE who has been testing a new tyre (knobbly) for a tyre company! Talk of them selling a set at R 1400!! That's front and back for R 1400 total!!!

Will never happen.  Said tire company will have done their market research and sell their tire at the price they believe people will pay for it, even if that includes a 500% margin.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Dewie

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 05:34:34 pm »

Will never happen.  Said tire company will have done their market research and sell their tire at the price they believe people will pay for it, even if that includes a 500% margin.

Unless you want to become a low cost leader to steal market share away

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 06:02:58 pm »
So because someone is too lazy to do research/shop around the dealer is now skelm?

The mind boggles...  ::) I thought it was capitalism...

Or is price fixing better?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 06:08:27 pm »
Capitalism is about free and fair trade.

Nothing fair about this mark-up. You will only catch the trusting and naive though.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 06:13:34 pm »

Nothing fair about this mark-up. You will only catch the trusting and naive though.

Fixed.

Trust is something you only give to someone who has earned it over time.

OK, so I should now bitch and moan about the silly mark-up another brand dealer wanted on some aftermarket parts as well, and call them skelm?
Or should I rather, since I did my homework, just buy somewhere else and tell the dealer why I did not buy from them?

Or is it just because this is a BMW dealer?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 06:25:54 pm »

Fixed.

OK, so I should now bitch and moan about the silly mark-up another brand dealer wanted on some aftermarket parts as well, and call them skelm?
Or should I rather, since I did my homework, just buy somewhere else and tell the dealer why I did not buy from them?

I am not aloud to comment on your remark on this thread. I can say however, that if I sell parts at a disproportionately high profit margin, knowing what others in the industry
sell it for, I am being skelm. I will catch some customers, but not if they knew the truth.
Proof is in the fact that the OP will never do business with this dealer again.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 06:30:50 pm »

Fixed.

I am not aloud to comment on your remark on this thread. I can say however, that if I sell parts at a disproportionately high profit margin, knowing what others in the industry
sell it for, I am being skelm. I will catch some customers, but not if they knew the truth.
Proof is in the fact that the OP will never do business with this dealer again.

Your comment and history says enough really, it was actually a rhetorical question  :biggrin:

I agree on the OP not doing business there again, that is his choice.

I just have a problem with people using social media to blame laziness on others.

Vote with your wallet, it could save a lot of money and if enough people do it the dealer will see the error of his ways in the end.

Offline Dewie

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 07:07:51 pm »

i wouldn't necessarily agree with that statement, maar nou ja  :thumleft:

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 11:13:44 am »
There seems to be a critical level of natural rubber latex around.
If there is less rubber harvested ( Ebola in West Africa ) or more demand for tyres ( China ) the price will increase until the demand matches the supply - we shall all use the tyres until that last 1mm is used up.
The other possibility is to use more synthetic rubber = much higher price or lower quality.

Instead of complaining start planting rubber trees in your back garden and get rich.
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Online BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 02:46:40 am »
Thread cleaned up again. The Brand bashing comments are all over in Danies thread, which is growing fast!  :lamer:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:47:29 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Dux

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 09:11:00 am »
We live in a free market society. A dealer is allowed to charge whatever price the market will bear, and you are allowed to shop around for the best price. The alternative is price control, where you pay one price whether you consider it reasonable or not.

It is your responsibility to check and compare prices. If you paid more than you could have, itís your own fault. Donít assume that if you are loyal to a dealer, he will be loyal to you as well. 

I agree wholeheartedly with this , did they force you to buy the tyre from them , if so then yes they have a problem , if not then there is nothing wrong with what they did . It is a free market and they can have whatever margin they want , if a price is stipulated then it is categorised as price fixing and that is not allowed .
In all honesty because you didn't do your homework does not make them at all crooked , rather the fact that you were willing enough to pay their price , so totally invalid complaint .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline sheldyn

• dictum meum pactum
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 10:08:07 am »

One would expect that a business such as BMW would have standardized pricing across their dealerships.  It's a shame that they will rather have their clientele shop around at their very own dealerships for the best deal.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

Pitty about Alpina,  the only time they appear to offer good service is when you're on their floor looking for a new bike, other than that they are truly shoddy.
Regards,

Sheldyn

Online Bensien

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 10:17:09 am »

One would expect that a business such as BMW would have standardized pricing across their dealerships.  It's a shame that they will rather have their clientele shop around at their very own dealerships for the best deal.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

[/quote]

So if they had standardised prices at all the dealerships and everyone charged the higher price, would that make it acceptable?

Offline sheldyn

• dictum meum pactum
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 10:30:21 am »

One would expect that a business such as BMW would have standardized pricing across their dealerships.  It's a shame that they will rather have their clientele shop around at their very own dealerships for the best deal.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

So if they had standardised prices at all the dealerships and everyone charged the higher price, would that make it acceptable?
[/quote]

All it would mean is that we would shop at Just Bike Tyre - Which I do anyway!

Point is that a large corporation such as BMW, IMO, should have same pricing across the board.  

Imagine walking into Edgars knowing that each Edgars charges different prices... ridiculous IMO.

Stores like Cotton On, Zara and other large international clothing stores manage to standardize pricing across continents.  Makes sense no?  they even have the international sales price on the tag.  

In todays day and age, transparency is key.  Make a consumer feel like a tos and you've lost him.  silly business.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:32:16 am by sheldyn »
Regards,

Sheldyn