Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Auto Alpina - Beware  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Bensien

Re: Auto Alpina - Beware
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 11:01:13 am »
BMW dealerships are privately owned and in competition with each other. Edgars stores arenít. It is illegal for dealerships to collude on prices, and there was a court ruling in this regard not too long ago when an automotive company tried to force dealerships to adopt uniform pricing on vehicles and parts.

Dealers get discount from the suppliers, based on the volumes they buy. A shop like Just Bike Tyres probably sells 20 tyres for each one a BMW dealership does, so it is logical that they can offer better prices.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline sheldyn

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • dictum meum pactum
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 11:12:50 am »
BMW dealerships are privately owned and in competition with each other. Edgars stores arenít. It is illegal for dealerships to collude on prices, and there was a court ruling in this regard not too long ago when an automotive company tried to force dealerships to adopt uniform pricing on vehicles and parts.

Dealers get discount from the suppliers, based on the volumes they buy. A shop like Just Bike Tyres probably sells 20 tyres for each one a BMW dealership does, so it is logical that they can offer better prices.

so how does one explain fixed prices on vehicles?
Regards,

Sheldyn

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 11:14:35 am »
Vehicle prices are not fixed.  You will find listprice, which usually includes the profit of the dealer.

Some dealers are willing to give more discount than others (and waive a bit of profit)...........or throw in freebies to sweeten the deal.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:15:07 am by Operator »

Offline Gingerball

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 11:17:28 am »
When somebody is skelm, they tricked you into something without you being aware of it. I dont see that it happened in this case. The prices might have been unreasonable, at best. Yet, they can charge as much or as little as they like and we as the customers are free to buy or not. If people stop buying their expensive tires, they wont stock them anymore. Quite easy really.
Time for an Adventure

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 11:24:02 am »
When somebody is skelm, they tricked you into something without you being aware of it. I dont see that it happened in this case. The prices might have been unreasonable, at best. Yet, they can charge as much or as little as they like and we as the customers are free to buy or not. If people stop buying their expensive tires, they wont stock them anymore. Quite easy really.

Exactly  :thumleft:

Last week I started getting quotations for aftermarket stuff for my S-Ten.

Highest quote was close to 37% more than the lowest, on exactly the same item, other quotes were somewhere in-between.

No point in me bitching about it on social media, it is easy enough these days for anyone to be informed and to shop around.

Offline Pullaway

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 11:34:56 am »

One would expect that a business such as BMW would have standardized pricing across their dealerships.  It's a shame that they will rather have their clientele shop around at their very own dealerships for the best deal.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

So if they had standardised prices at all the dealerships and everyone charged the higher price, would that make it acceptable?

All it would mean is that we would shop at Just Bike Tyre - Which I do anyway!

Point is that a large corporation such as BMW, IMO, should have same pricing across the board.  

Imagine walking into Edgars knowing that each Edgars charges different prices... ridiculous IMO.

Stores like Cotton On, Zara and other large international clothing stores manage to standardize pricing across continents.  Makes sense no?  they even have the international sales price on the tag.  

In todays day and age, transparency is key.  Make a consumer feel like a tos and you've lost him.  silly business.
[/quote]

Maybe BMW should really look at the great business successes such as Ural, Dnepr, IZH, IMZ, Minsk and the like. They worked on the fixed price system for many years in their home countries, lately some people believe that it was never really that successful, but hey maybe the people at BMW could get some tips from the East Germans.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:47:13 am by Pullaway »
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 01:39:18 pm »
For me its as simple as this: If I have time to shop around, I will, if not I expect to maybe be paying a much higher than market price.

Its not rocket science.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:39:41 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 03:38:59 pm »
If you go the Slabinsky's corner joint, and he hit you with a price much higher than the norm, understandable. Slabinsky is shortsightedly trying to catch the
unaware one-offs.
BUT.......it is surely different with a big and well-known brand such as BMW, Yamaha, etc?? You should be able to walk into any reputable dealer and ask them to fit anythng and the price should be within reasonable limits of the competition. Otherwise where is trust in your brand?

I go to Helderberg Yamaha, NEVER ask for quotes beforehand, and they have never disappointed me. They are always within reason, often cheaper than the competition.

So I know that I can trust Helderberg Yamaha.

Alpine KNEW what the tyres sell for elsewhere, they slapped on that hefty profitmargin, knowing that an unsuspecting victim will ask for fitment without asking for a quote first.