300Km "SoreArse" Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithey

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
The trip has been named "SoreArse" by the pillion  ;D Her first ride on a bike further than 100km.

Planned 200Km on dirt 100 on tar. Ended up 30 on dirt and 270 on tar. Mostly planned as a 1 day/night trip to test out the new tent and sleeping bags. Woke up late on Friday and only hit the road at 11:30am.

Route taken - Vanderbijlpark - Parys - Vredefort - Koppies - Wolwehoek - Deneysville - Jim Fouchie resort.

Stopped in Pary for lunch as we didnt have breakfast before we left. Lekker chow at a place called Legends - i think it was called - Parys main street.

We didnt really have a route planned. Supposed to go round the Parys Dome and then find a way to the Vaal Dam. A little bit scary not having a proper route, but hay this is adventure riding. Had the map in my jacket and a full tank, lets find a route  ;)

We were on tar the whole way to Vredefort and then i found the R720 to Koppies..... hay its a dirt road. We stop, check the bags, take a deep breath and go for it. Its my first time nailing the dirt highways of South Africa. IT WAS LEKKER. Can you remember your first time ? After 10 minutes on the road, we are doing about 70km taking it all the way to 110km at spots. I was screaming like a girl... hang on that was the g/f  O0

Stopped at a little bridge for a smoke and the first pics of the day. Only had the cell camera and had it on the wrong setting - guess it was the excitement of being in the middle of no-where that i didnt check it.

Had my first bike related issue another 2km down the road. Hit a ditch in the road and heard a loud "WHACK" from the back of the bike. Im hoping that its just because i need to set the shocks from 3 to 5 with the pillion and the luggage. Kind of bottomed out i think is the term. No damage and we carried on. Not a long road, about 20km. HA, overtook a 4x4 gave a wave and my dust  ;D

Got a bit lost at Koppies and ended up going into the local township. Turned round and headed back to Koppies. 2 Teenagers from a garage we passed on the way in, ran out to us at the stop street and told us where Koppies Dam was. We told them Vaal Dam and they helped us with directions. Lekker people out in the sticks, did not expect them to run out to us.

Tar all the way to Wolwehoek and then Deneysville. Drove past so many dirt roads on the way, but time was now becoming an issue. Cant wait to get back out there and explore these. All the roads were "S???" These roads dont show up on my map book, so im not sure where they go. Adventure time  ;)

Got to Jim Fouchie resort along with all the other Jo-Burgers. WOW, it was busy along the dam front. Thank goodness i didnt take the fishing rod.

We found a lekker spot away from all the holiday makers. They all seem to hoard the power points or the water front. Closest people were about 30 odd meters. Just the way i like it  ;D

It was rather expensive for the night - R210. Suppose its because of the holiday weekend. But, the abolution blocks are worth it. Nice hot shower before bed makes a big difference.

Braaied some chops and wors by firelight  :( yep, had no torch of any kind. Used the bikes lights every now and then to check the meat. A half-jack whiskey and lemon twist was the drink of choice  :p smaaks alright after 2 doubles.

Went to bed at bout 9ish. Didnt sleep a wink. Die grond was blerrie hard. Up this morning at 7am. No beer, no coffie  eeeish mayby this adventure riding isnt all its cut up to be  :D Shared an energy bar for breakfast.

Packed up a wet tent and we hit the road. Weather was looking a bit dubious towards the Vaal side so we done the quickest route home. Started to rain 40 minutes after we got home.

What ive learnt from this first outing:

Spending my bike "upgrade" money on decent camping gear - well worth every penny.
Ground is hard no matter where you go - get a camping mat to sleep on.
Take more dop.
Get a small gas cooker.
Take a torch.
Start smaking my g/f's butt more to toughen it up a bit  ;)

All in all, we really...... REALLY enjoyed it. I want more dirt though - next time.

So many dirt roads to be explored. Cant wait.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMAGE_061.jpg
    IMAGE_061.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMAGE_062.jpg
    IMAGE_062.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMAGE_063.jpg
    IMAGE_063.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMAGE_064.jpg