Quick Dirt Ride Gauteng. 2 Rivers & 2 Provinces

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
My Quick dirt ride ended up being a bit longer than planed, It was very much play by ear and "Ok where shall we go from here?" Which in true Wild Dog fashion turned into a most enjoyable day's ride.

I arrived at the Engen at Northgate at about 6:25am to find SA Dive Master and AdventureBoy waiting for me.
gtnmarch222.JPG

We set off at about 6:40 and took the back roads through Cosmo City, Kya Sands, Farmal and Chartwell.
In chartwell we crossed the Jukskei which was flowing nicely after the rains, No picture I'm afraid but the crossing was about a foot under water.

Shortly after that on a little single spoor track we encountered our first bit of mud, Nothing to hectic but Nice and easy was the order of the day.
After getting everybody through the mud we look up and about 200 meters on the opposite river back we see a female lioness marching up and down a low little fence :eek: . We were a little shocked and it took us a few minutes to process what we were looking at. Then a black dude comes down a small path and opens the gate and the lioness seems to be playing with him as he opens a smaller enclosure and a little lion cup comes bounding out to join the play. It was a remarkable sight 10km from 4Ways mall on some guys plot right in front of you is a lioness and her cub! They were shortly joined by a Zebra although he was on the other side of the fence. This can only be Africa.

gtnmarch224.JPG

gtnmarch227.JPG

gtnmarch2215.JPG

gtnmarch2218.JPG

gtnmarch2219.JPG

gtnmarch2220.JPG

After that we were in high spirits, the weather was fantastic for biking loads of clouds and no rain.
We took the dirt roads through Hills and Dales into Lezonia and from there a short tar bit into Harties for breakfast at Maxies.
From there we took dirt roads all the way the Breedts nek and down around through Mooi Nooi and back to Harties, Myself and SADive Master stopped at Kwackers for the obligatory 2 beers unfortunately AdventureBoy had to head home. After the beers Myself and SADM went back through the tunnel and along a lekka bit of dirt towards Erasmia. When we get to the Hennops river crossing it is in full Flood.
We take the proper approach and walk it first, Good thing as right at the end it drops down about 3 feet. SADM goes through first with me too busy standing by to assist in case something goes wrong to take any  pictures. It was tough going but he made it through unscathed. My turn next with SADM doing the picture taking.

gtnmarch2225.JPG

gtnmarch2227.JPG

gtnmarch2228.JPG

gtnmarch2237.JPG

gtnmarch2230.JPG

gtnmarch2231.JPG

gtnmarch2232.JPG

gtnmarch2233.JPG

gtnmarch2239.JPG

After our epic crossing we "assisted" in some impromptu road making to help the locals get a ford bakkie across. We had loads of fun.

All in all a fantastic day with great people.

It never ceases to amaze me what nice people the Wild Dogs are.

Thanks Adventureboy and SA Dive Master for a lekka day out.

Total km's for the day around 300.

Jules