Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: AMAGEZA 2014.... BONOVA's Ride Report started....  (Read 3510 times)

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
AMAGEZA 2014.... BONOVA's Ride Report started....
« on: October 17, 2014, 03:52:25 pm »
Hello All.
So I think the time has come to start my Amageza thread! I don't know how much i'll be able to update on the road to be honest....but we'll see what happens....
I fetched my bike today from the sticker men..... Designs Unlimited here in KZN - amazing job!

I've never been a fan of just making things look pretty (last year I did not have any stickers on the bike at all, and a few people actually didn't even know what brand it was haha) but it's nice to have the names of the people who helped so much to get me to where I am on this adventure!

Roger Kane Berman at Ryder Motorrad
Clayton Scott and Howard Scott at TR-TEC adventure
Greg Raaff at Subtech

So Here you go.... almost ready to rock some sand - can't WAIT

Never had my name on a bike before.....

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:31:02 pm by bonova »
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Re: AMAGEZA 2014.... BONOVA's thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:34:15 pm »
Awesome! Look forward to seeing you there. You got a more comfortable seat this time??  ;)

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »
Looking good there!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:49:48 pm »
Nice - Hope you got some fresh rubber on there  ;D I am using Mitas C18 yellow stripe rear and C19 front on mine and is great combo.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:50:22 pm »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:51:24 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:53:13 pm »
Looking great!
Will look out for you amongst the front-runners (through a lens)  ;D
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:32:15 pm »
Awesome! Look forward to seeing you there. You got a more comfortable seat this time??  ;)

Hahaha...nope...seat fail man.... Not so easy to just get it covered as it has a damn hole in it for the fuel. I'll just TTFU as they say.....and wear 2 pairs of cycle shorts haha that seat is seriously the hardest seat in the world.....no lies

Big dom..... I'm going with the Pirelli rallye front and mich desert rear. I might give the Mitas E09 rear a try.
No mich desert fronts available when we looked.
Next week will fit the new rubber and gonna go with mousses this year...just so I don't need to slow down in snake-bite territory.
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:30:13 pm »
Yeah Desert is great. I have used the Mitas E09 a lot on the HP2 - tough as nails, strong sidewall but not as knobbly as a C18 or C02 for the 450. Mousses are heavy but sure give peace of mind.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 09:34:53 pm »
Peter, are you carrying water and/or tools on the bike itself - or just relying on BMW reliability to get you through  ;)

It looks lean and mean with no space for extras ...........................
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 09:57:53 pm »
Peter, are you carrying water and/or tools on the bike itself - or just relying on BMW reliability to get you through  ;)

There are a few of the heavier things I put on the bike....leatherman...radio...tyre levers and spanner for wheel nuts (integrated into the levers)... Rest is in my camelback like last year. I also use the BMW rallye jacket...lots of vents and pockets.  I had a plan for a water carrier bashplate but we never got to make it. 3l water in the camelback...good to go.
There will be extra space on the tower where I had my spare tube...might put some water there....but it is high up so I'd rather not... Maybe some of the bulky stuff out of my camelback..... Medic stuff of similar. I'm doing a strip down this weekend and gonna test run where I can put extra stuff :)

Mousses are actually lighter than heavy duty tubes plus slime I think.... Only down side is the cost! My offroad bike only ever has mousses in.....peace of mind is amazing. Was one of my biggest stresses on Amageza last year....punctures.... I didn't have any...but changing a tube when u tired is just demoralizing!

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 06:43:32 am »

Ö thought you were going to make one of those BMW On Call jokes  :biggrin:

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 11:38:54 am »
Our Driver is actually a BMW mech..... how convenient is THAT???? So he can be my BMW on call.... However I think my warranty is a gone burger... my speedo kept screaming at me telling me I was speeding last year..... not supposed to be in high power setting at pace for over some time limit and then the warranty falls away hahahaha
 :biggrin:

Ag man BMW's never break down...... neither do KTM's. Poor buggers on Hondas and Kawas etc are gonna take strain right?

Offline Scrat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 08:43:28 pm »
Nice!!!! Looking GOOD!

See you in 2 weeks!! :o :o :thumleft:
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:32 am »
Took her for a quick ride yesterday.... oooo shes doing so well...
Realized that I haven't ridden her in like 5-6 months tho so gonna take a day or 2 to get used to get used to riding the 450 again after so much time on the 250 XCW
Installed a new batt (just in case), put quick couplers on the fuel lines, checked all the nuts and bolts, Put in a new spark plug.
Still to Do:
Tyres and mousses, Wheel bearings (I have them so why not I figure...) and then lastly clean air filter and new oil and filter before next weekend....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:52:53 am by bonova »

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 10:01:37 pm »
I had a serious sit down with myself today.... It came after a conversation I had with a fellow competitor. He's FAST.... Really fast....and he navigates like a home sick mole.....
Anyway...They did some training this past weekend...sand up near Kosi bay....I was working so I couldn't join :( they Got some riding in with the man himself Brett Cummings. Over a thousand km of sand....yum
Anyway... When Brett put the Hammer down, it was over in a matter of a few min. Not even any dust to follow...no break marks.... Just wheel spin and broadslides to show he had been there. And I'll say it again...my mate can ride...properly.
It got me thinking about Amageza.... There are some big names this year....some guys with skill, speed experience and serious talent.  Next level for us mere mortals. You know the types...you see them for split seconds on the enduros and the social rides.... They drop you like a hot potato.....pass you like you're going backwards when you thought you were styling on the edge of the limits of traction.

What I took from this was that it's all about the race with yourself..... It's beating your mind, pushing your own limits. Letting go of what you cannot safely attain in the name of finishing rather to race another day.
I remember bluebull2007 saying something and it stuck in my mind..... I've used it on the races like sea to ski and mountain madness when I'm pushing just a little too hard. I'll quote him " FOCUS , FLOW, FINISH".  Nowhere in there does it say chase the man on the KTM 450 Rallye..... For he my friend is racing his own race...... And the race is long. Just hope to see him (or her) at the finish line. And he who gets there 1st best keep the beers cold

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • Race Dog
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 10:56:19 am »
You will be fine this year again boet.

Your pinpoint navigation put you first last year. Just keep on doing the same thing.

The final 14 looked like the could easily ride for another week last year. You guys rocked.
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline Hinksding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 07:44:09 am »
Voorspoed!
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline Mooch

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 11:35:48 am »
I had a serious sit down with myself today.... It came after a conversation I had with a fellow competitor. He's FAST.... Really fast....and he navigates like a home sick mole.....
Anyway...They did some training this past weekend...sand up near Kosi bay....I was working so I couldn't join :( they Got some riding in with the man himself Brett Cummings. Over a thousand km of sand....yum
Anyway... When Brett put the Hammer down, it was over in a matter of a few min. Not even any dust to follow...no break marks.... Just wheel spin and broadslides to show he had been there. And I'll say it again...my mate can ride...properly.
It got me thinking about Amageza.... There are some big names this year....some guys with skill, speed experience and serious talent.  Next level for us mere mortals. You know the types...you see them for split seconds on the enduros and the social rides.... They drop you like a hot potato.....pass you like you're going backwards when you thought you were styling on the edge of the limits of traction.

What I took from this was that it's all about the race with yourself..... It's beating your mind, pushing your own limits. Letting go of what you cannot safely attain in the name of finishing rather to race another day.
I remember bluebull2007 saying something and it stuck in my mind..... I've used it on the races like sea to ski and mountain madness when I'm pushing just a little too hard. I'll quote him " FOCUS , FLOW, FINISH".  Nowhere in there does it say chase the man on the KTM 450 Rallye..... For he my friend is racing his own race...... And the race is long. Just hope to see him (or her) at the finish line. And he who gets there 1st best keep the beers cold

That's the answer.  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 12:23:58 pm »
OK... I'm having computer issues! So before I start my full report... here is a little taster of the Prologue..... I can't embed.... so just go to:

http://youtu.be/yL9sc_8F5Xc

Offline SteveD

Re: AMAGEZA 2014.... BONOVA's Ride Report started....
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 12:32:57 pm »
Here you go...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yL9sc_8F5Xc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yL9sc_8F5Xc</a>