A liitle Sunday breakfast ride ends up in Lesotho.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpine Al

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
The newly renamed KZN BMW Club's sunday ride yesterday was to the Nip Inn near Bulwer. I rode down to Howick and met the other +- 20 bikers (including a few guest riders on other makes of bikes). During breakfast we discussed what routes we would do before heading home. The road bikes and those on ds bikes who were already homesick took the quickest scenic alternative towards Ixopo and the twisties of the Umkomaas valley, others took an even more scenic route to Impendhle and Nottingham Road. Then there were a few guys who said there must still be snow on top of Sani and the day was perfect, a warm sun, cool air and many daylight hours left. It was my first propper ride since I fractured my spine 3 months ago when I rolled my bakkie and trailer with 3 horses, so I needed to test if all the resting had worked. My bum itched more for the saddle than my back would hurt later anyway so I quickly assured two new club members that Sani is a walk in the park now and you dont need passports if you ask nicely and say you're not going through Lesotho. 6 of us left for Himeville then The SA Sani border post where the two new guys, Cobus on his new LC GSA and JP on his GSA, were to turn back for home. ( JC hadn't ridden a bike until 4 months ago and never been off tarr).
When we got there I spoke to the border official, he allowed us through and we told the two newbies (who also had tyres made for the blacktop) that the road is better to the top than to the border post they were at. We were impressed when they both said they would come with us, I think we were all expecting at least a discreet liedown or two. We were to be pleasantly surprised as the two new guys eventualy summited victoriously, a bit sweaty but with big grins and highfives allround.
After an uneventfull decent, one guy with outriggers fully operational, we headed our different ways home to Estcourt, Durban and South Coast. Hats off to JP, not many guys would "cut their teeth" on Sani!
This morning my back is feeling good so I am one happy chappy and back in the saddle again.