Groot Marico Gravel to Herman Charles Bosman Festival

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicobie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Since swambo belongs to a book club, she is well informed about these cultural events.

Every year during October there is a Herman Charles Bosman festival in Groot Marico. October being his month of birth.
This year it was the 21st anniversary of the Herman Charles Bosman Literary Society & Living Museum, so they went BIG.

As the venues can only accommodate a certain number of people, they worked on a pre-booking basis, and as I said wife in the knowledge booked for us. The women decided that the men had to join them this year to expierence our "culture" on a different level.

We bought the weekend package which included all meals and shows. "Shows" were all presented by locals and the "raw" talent was exhibited. It ranges from Boeremusiek, Koi Dancing, Story telling, and Poem reading.

I liked the idea to get away for the weekend, but reached a compromise with swambo that I will arrange for some of the other book club girls to ride with her in the car, then I can go with the bike. That way she is not alone on the road, and I can go GRAVEL.

And so my trip started.
I have traded my Dakar for a new 800GSA and this would be my maiden trip with the new bike.

The week before I studied the manual of how to fix punctures (take off the wheels) but I was lean on the right tools for the job, with little time and moola to acquire some. So I packed my toolbag with what I had and I needed no luggage, as that was going in the car.

I planned the route from Magaliesburg with as much gravel as possible. The first gravel was hit just 5km's out of Magalies on the Koesterfontein road, and from thereon very little tar to be had. It is amazing that you can actually go on gravel all the way.

At the Koesterfontein turnoff.

Just a few Kilometers on the first river/spruit crossing - Blaauwbank spruit.

Let me first test the photobucket before I go too far.
See ya later