Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Suspension resetting on startup?  (Read 5906 times)

Offline OomD

Re: Suspension resetting on startup?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 06:52:17 am »
Just a thought, does it only happen when you restart after riding with a pillion?

I've never experienced this buy I never pillion.
No, but last sunday was the first time it did it with a pillion, on the 2-up setting. All (4) previous times was with me alone, using the 1+luggage setting.
Out of curiosity, what setting do you ride on, LK?

I always ride one up plus luggage. When I actually have luggage and panniers loaded, I ride 2 up. When loaded I also use hard setting in dynamic mode
Interesting... I gather when you are not loaded you use the normal setting (not hard or soft) and either road or rain? Or do you stay on dynamic? I use road mode mostly, and also dynamic when I pillion (I find the engine tends to ping or labour a lot easier at lower RPM when loaded and in road or rain mode, dynamic mode sorts that out).

I wonder if the suspension issue relates to the mode? Maybe indirectly, as the mode changes the characteristics of the dynamic suspension.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 07:07:09 am »
I ride as follows:

Dynamic - Hard - Two Up - TC off.

These settings I use even on dirt. I will sometimes change to Enduro Pro on dirt rides when I feel like playing.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 07:29:20 am »
Just a thought, does it only happen when you restart after riding with a pillion?

I've never experienced this buy I never pillion.
No, but last sunday was the first time it did it with a pillion, on the 2-up setting. All (4) previous times was with me alone, using the 1+luggage setting.
Out of curiosity, what setting do you ride on, LK?

I always ride one up plus luggage. When I actually have luggage and panniers loaded, I ride 2 up. When loaded I also use hard setting in dynamic mode
Interesting... I gather when you are not loaded you use the normal setting (not hard or soft) and either road or rain? Or do you stay on dynamic? I use road mode mostly, and also dynamic when I pillion (I find the engine tends to ping or labour a lot easier at lower RPM when loaded and in road or rain mode, dynamic mode sorts that out).

I wonder if the suspension issue relates to the mode? Maybe indirectly, as the mode changes the characteristics of the dynamic suspension.

As ek freeway ry dan ry ek op soft - gemakliker - voel soos 'n limouzine - sodra ek enige curvy roads of passe begin ry dan gaan ek altyd oor na hard toe - fiets voel meer stabiel en "duik" nie die neus as jy hard rem nie. Hantering is net soveel beter op hard

Offline Tp007

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 04:40:17 pm »
Also experienced the tail of the bike lowering and going up again each time I started the bike. This was on the rider+luggage setting.

Offline Inverted

• Bike: Honda XR500
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 07:24:35 pm »
I ride as follows:

According to the manual, the preload setting should be adjusted to the load, so two up for two up, unless I guess if you are one up weighing like two

Offline OomD

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 07:32:58 pm »
Also experienced the tail of the bike lowering and going up again each time I started the bike. This was on the rider+luggage setting.
Has it done it often?

Offline Sommer Ek

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 12:38:27 am »
Ek sal graag wil weet hoeveel kg  een helmet en twee helmets en luggage is. Daar moet tog 'n standaard maatstaf wees, sommige van ons is dalk alleen meer as twee duitsers se gewig. (Hulle vleis is maar aan die duur kant.) 

Offline OomD

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 06:25:09 am »
Ek sal graag wil weet hoeveel kg  een helmet en twee helmets en luggage is. Daar moet tog 'n standaard maatstaf wees, sommige van ons is dalk alleen meer as twee duitsers se gewig. (Hulle vleis is maar aan die duur kant.) 
Soos ek verstaan is 1 rider = 80Kg, maar dit kan hoorsę wees. Dit ook nooit erens geskryf gesien nie.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 07:33:57 am »
Rider 85kg, Pillion 85kg, luggage 40kg

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 07:36:40 am »
I ride as follows:

According to the manual, the preload setting should be adjusted to the load, so two up for two up, unless I guess if you are one up weighing like two

Apologies, meant to type One up + Luggage

This is designed for 85kg + 40kg, given my 95kg plus topbox or tailbag it is just about right.

PS: Manual also says to remove poop scoop before leaving tar, I see many riders have not read the manual :imaposer:

Offline Tp007

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 12:12:41 pm »
Has it done it often?
As far as I can remember, basically each time I started the bike. Its almost unnoticeable so difficult to say.

Offline OomD

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 01:41:01 pm »
Has it done it often?
As far as I can remember, basically each time I started the bike. Its almost unnoticeable so difficult to say.
Thanks, Tp007. If this is the same bike you are currently riding I assume then it still does it? Would you be willing to take it to BMW to have them check it out?

Offline Inverted

• Bike: Honda XR500
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 07:15:35 pm »
LKM, ek dink jy weeg reg
Die ryer se gewig kan redelik varieer sou ek dink want die gewigs verpreiding is oor beide wiele.  Met die top boks is die moment agter die agterwielas dus is meer as die gewig van die topboks self, op die agter suspensie.

Offline Tp007

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 07:45:47 am »
Has it done it often?
Thanks, Tp007. If this is the same bike you are currently riding I assume then it still does it? Would you be willing to take it to BMW to have them check it out?
I can do that, just need to find the time ;)

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 08:05:12 am »
Is it at all possible that the bike "senses" the extra weight of a topbox or rider on the suspension, and adjusts itself because of that?

I weigh 105kg's. but must say that I have not experienced that the bike adjusts itself.

Nothing in the manual, but just thinking, however stupid my thinking might be?

Offline OomD

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 09:13:50 am »
Has it done it often?
I can do that, just need to find the time ;)
Would be great, thanks!

Offline OomD

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 09:15:14 am »
Is it at all possible that the bike "senses" the extra weight of a topbox or rider on the suspension, and adjusts itself because of that?

I weigh 105kg's. but must say that I have not experienced that the bike adjusts itself.

Nothing in the manual, but just thinking, however stupid my thinking might be?
You might have a point here... maybe it senses the suspension height is out of range for the current setting (e.g. set to 1-up but there's two people, so it sgas more than expected) and resets itself as a means of making sure.... hmmm..

I'll try it this afternoon.

Offline paulb

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 11:21:47 am »
OomD dit kan te doen wees met die load sensing valve op die swing arm , myne het dit sondag weer gedoen.
Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it

Offline OomD

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 03:15:06 pm »
I ride as follows:

Apologies, meant to type One up + Luggage

This is designed for 85kg + 40kg, given my 95kg plus topbox or tailbag it is just about right.

PS: Manual also says to remove poop scoop before leaving tar, I see many riders have not read the manual :imaposer:
I've looked, but I'm obviously missing it. Where in the manual does it say this?

Offline Tp007

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 04:50:33 pm »
I experienced the suspension reset again this weekend.

More concerning is on a previous occation, I selected the double helmets, but they just kept flashing and I suppose the selection wasn't complete, even after the 30km trip.

Back to this weekend, the two helmets was selected and no pillion I could feel the back being a bit higher, but the back quickly sag. Sometimes had the boat/nose-in-the-air feeling. Is that normal?