Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Suspension resetting on startup?  (Read 5963 times)

Offline TCS

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Suspension resetting on startup?
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 04:57:31 pm »
Ek ry 2 op normaal in road mode.... ...... want ek weeg 145KG en is 6voet6.........ek ervaar die bike is baie meer smooth in road mode.

Ek dink my bike het al n keer of wat gesak by startup en weer gelug.... nie gedink dit is n issue nie.....
As my gat jeuk krap ek hom met my bikes se seats!!!!

Current: '16 Honda CRF 1000 Arica Twin &  Honda VFR 1200 FD

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 04:59:47 pm »
I experienced the suspension reset again this weekend.

More concerning is on a previous occation, I selected the double helmets, but they just kept flashing and I suppose the selection wasn't complete, even after the 30km trip.

Back to this weekend, the two helmets was selected and no pillion I could feel the back being a bit higher, but the back quickly sag. Sometimes had the boat/nose-in-the-air feeling. Is that normal?

I have not done any research on any other websites regarding this issue, BUT an issue it is indeed. Surely this may have an impact on safety as well, even if to a limited extent?

Question - Is the bike fit for purpose under these circumstances, especially when BMW can't find the fault?

I think you need to seriously consider this question and invite BMW to voice their opinion on this as well.

If it was me, I would not accept a machine that has a safety concern that is obvious, and they can't rectify the fault.

my R10 anyway....

Offline Tp007

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »
I experienced the suspension reset again this weekend.

More concerning is on a previous occation, I selected the double helmets, but they just kept flashing and I suppose the selection wasn't complete, even after the 30km trip.

Back to this weekend, the two helmets was selected and no pillion I could feel the back being a bit higher, but the back quickly sag. Sometimes had the boat/nose-in-the-air feeling. Is that normal?

I have not done any research on any other websites regarding this issue, BUT an issue it is indeed. Surely this may have an impact on safety as well, even if to a limited extent?

Question - Is the bike fit for purpose under these circumstances, especially when BMW can't find the fault?

I think you need to seriously consider this question and invite BMW to voice their opinion on this as well.

If it was me, I would not accept a machine that has a safety concern that is obvious, and they can't rectify the fault.

my R10 anyway....
My problem is I don't know if this is normal or not.

I know my NC with no suspension adjustment would sag under load. How much sagging on ESA is allowed? Does ESA only increase the ride height, but not the damping?

I'll probably have to take it to the dealer and ask these questions. They will probably just tell me its normal.

Offline Tp007

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 05:19:47 pm »
Ek ry 2 op normaal in road mode.... ...... want ek weeg 145KG en is 6voet6.........ek ervaar die bike is baie meer smooth in road mode.

Ek dink my bike het al n keer of wat gesak by startup en weer gelug.... nie gedink dit is n issue nie.....

Ek verstel myne volgens hoe hy gelaai is. Ek commute soms met die GS en as ek hom op 2-op het, moet ek tippie-toe.

Offline paulb

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 06:46:37 pm »
My GSA reset nou baie en het een keer n error op die dash gegee , ek het die battery ontkoppel vir n dag en hy is nou weer oraait. Die volgende diens is oor 2000 km , sal daarna laat kyk.
Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 06:06:43 am »
Ek het gister mer Andrew en Lennie gesels by Bavarian, blykbaar is daar van Desember af reeds 2 software updates, waarvan die laaste een hierdie suspension issue adreseer. Ek neem Saterdag my bike in vir die opgradering, sal daarna sien hoe dit maak.

Online TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 07:16:38 am »

I know my NC with no suspension adjustment would sag under load. How much sagging on ESA is allowed? Does ESA only increase the ride height, but not the damping?

The ESA addresses both ride height and damping.

One helmet, One helmet + luggage, Two helmets, Little Mountain, Big Mountain =  Adjusts ride height via spring Pre-Load.
Soft, Normal, Sport = Adjust damping in shock absorber.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:17:51 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Tp007

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 10:44:01 am »

The ESA addresses both ride height and damping.

One helmet, One helmet + luggage, Two helmets, Little Mountain, Big Mountain =  Adjusts ride height via spring Pre-Load.
Soft, Normal, Sport = Adjust damping in shock absorber.
Havent seen those settings on my GSA?? ???
True, had the damping on normal setting.

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 10:49:02 am »
My LC does not have the big mountain or little mountain setting. These have been replaced with the Enduro and Enduro pro modes as far as I know

Offline Tp007

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 10:54:03 am »
My LC does not have the big mountain or little mountain setting. These have been replaced with the Enduro and Enduro pro modes as far as I know
OK, but thought the riding modes only adjust the sensitivity of TC and ABS and/or throttle and brake sensitivity.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2015, 01:55:05 pm »
OK, but thought the riding modes only adjust the sensitivity of TC and ABS and/or throttle and brake sensitivity.

Correct and then you have the separate ESA settings for Rider, Rider + Luggage and Rider + Pillion.

Take note that the riding modes also adopts certain default ESA settings related to dampening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2015, 10:24:23 am »
Just some feedback.

Had my bike at Bavarian a few weeks ago where they did a software update, and everything was fine since.

Until this last weekend. I did the DP1 at ADA with my son, and kept the bike in enduro mode with ABS and traction control off the whole weekend. On Saturday it reset twice again. Each time it happens as you start the engine.

I'm at a loss as to what to do from here on. Bavarian obviously are too. My worry is more about what happens when the guarantee/warrantee runs out and the suspension then fails or something. To me this suspension resetting is indicative of a problem, and they cannot seem to find the source of it.

Online TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2015, 10:32:28 am »
I'm at a loss as to what to do from here on. Bavarian obviously are too. My worry is more about what happens when the guarantee/warrantee runs out and the suspension then fails or something. To me this suspension resetting is indicative of a problem, and they cannot seem to find the source of it.

Bavarian will usually have record of the issue and there should be no hassle honouring a warranty fix, even after the warranty expired.  It is a pain in the posterior though.

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Biza

• BMW 1200 GS A LC
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2015, 07:27:53 pm »
I had the same, don't know if it has to do with mileage though. My bike reached 4 000km and it happened probably 4 times when starting up. I commute every day and it doesn't happen every time I start up. I ride Road mode with the setting for 2 up on the ESA.
------UNASHAMEDLY  ETHICAL------

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2015, 08:11:03 pm »
I had the same, don't know if it has to do with mileage though. My bike reached 4 000km and it happened probably 4 times when starting up. I commute every day and it doesn't happen every time I start up. I ride Road mode with the setting for 2 up on the ESA.
Yep, mine doesn't happen on every startup either. Does it about once or twice a month, except last Saturday it did it twice in one day... while doing an offriad course. I'm inclined to think that some sensor get affected by vibration.

Bavarian have escalated this, and feedback received today indicated that it is an issues known to have happened to one other bike at least too. Will see what happens now, though, Bavarian are waiting for more feedback. From BMW themselves, I presume.

Has your stopped doing it?

Offline Biza

• BMW 1200 GS A LC
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2015, 08:59:43 pm »
Experienced it over the weekend and on Monday. Was normal yesterday and today though.
------UNASHAMEDLY  ETHICAL------

Offline paulb

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2015, 04:52:02 am »
My GSA reset nou baie en het een keer n error op die dash gegee , ek het die battery ontkoppel vir n dag en hy is nou weer oraait. Die volgende diens is oor 2000 km , sal daarna laat kyk.

Na ek die battery ontkoppel het , het die quick shifter sy program verloor .
Ek het die fiets gister ingevat en sal hom vanoggend weer gaan haal en terugvoering gee.

Offline paulb

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2015, 05:55:51 am »
Alles is weer 100% , kom ons kyk vir hoe lank.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

WAARSKUWING!!!!!!!

Moenie na jou naaste BMW tak gaan nie , dit sal jou net n klomp geld kos.

My 20 000 km diens op die GSA was R 3250.00 + R 176 000.00 vir die extras

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2015, 07:14:40 pm »
OK some feedback from BMW AG. After a few emails to and fro (via Lennie at Bavarian) the reply from BMW is that this behaviour is not unexpected. The computer may need to recalibrate its input from time to time, and depending on the voltage at terminal 15 (ignition +ve) and the position of the suspension at startup this may happen often or not so often.

Anyways, its resolved.

I must add that Lennie and the guys at Bavarian gave me excellent support during this time. Thumbs up, Bavarian!