Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Keyless Ride  (Read 5907 times)

Offline BMW GS Motorrad Fan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • Sandton Auto BMW Motorrad
Keyless Ride
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:06:24 am »
I've seen for model year 2015 that the new Gear Shift Assist Pro and Keyless Ride are available on the R1200GS, Adventure and RT and I know the Gear Shift Assist Pro can be retrofitted onto my 2014 R1200GS.

My question is, does anyone know if the Keyless Ride can be retrofitted and if so is it available already?

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
Re: Keyless Ride
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:21:43 pm »
I saw somebody saying that they may do away with it on the GS/A because of reliability issues way yonder...  Not sure if it is fact though.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Charlie600

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 07:26:24 pm »
I'm awaiting my 2015 LC and according to the guys at Bavarian in Centurion they don't expect the keyless option to arrive on the SA bound models, unless it is perhaps some ploy to try and convince me to take the bike now!

I do however believe (non-factually) that this option will have some sort of overriding key that you can utilise in the event of the key dropping into water etc, as to ensure it is failsafe.

The keyless option on any vehicle was always viewed as a waste of money in my books, that was until such time that I received my new car earlier this year with the keyless option fitted it is insanely awesome and saves so much trouble of trying to find a remote etc just ensure that its in one of your pockets and off you go.  :laughing4:

Then lastly, I would be very surprised if they can retrofit fit it, anything is however possible these days

Offline nielvn

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:56:54 pm »
at this stage it is not coming to SA, not sure later 2015 or 2016 models.

Online TheBear

• Time for a free lunch! *buuurpp*
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:22:43 am »
The keyless option on any vehicle was always viewed as a waste of money in my books, that was until such time that I received my new car earlier this year with the keyless option fitted it is insanely awesome and saves so much trouble of trying to find a remote etc just ensure that its in one of your pockets and off you go.  :laughing4:

Saw it the same you did.  Waste.  Then we got a car with it installed (standard, not optional).  I still do not see the advantage to pay extra for the option.  Searching for the key with remote, or searching for the keyless thingy is the same to me.  Pressing the button on the key, or the keyless thingy to deactivate alarm and unlock vehicle is the same.  Sticking keyless thingy in pocket or key in ignition is the same to me.  In fact, I find the ignition switch a very handy place to store the key.  Way better than the pocket. 
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline BMW GS Motorrad Fan

• Sandton Auto BMW Motorrad
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:05:25 am »
I'm awaiting my 2015 LC and according to the guys at Bavarian in Centurion they don't expect the keyless option to arrive on the SA bound models, unless it is perhaps some ploy to try and convince me to take the bike now!

I do however believe (non-factually) that this option will have some sort of overriding key that you can utilise in the event of the key dropping into water etc, as to ensure it is failsafe.

Then lastly, I would be very surprised if they can retrofit fit it, anything is however possible these days

You're spot on Charlie600 - see below image.
The remove has a conventional key which flicks out in the event of issues arising (such as the remote falling into water etc).

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 07:32:44 am »
I think this is awesome. the new bmw cars has keyless go as standard and I also thought its a gimmick. Its flippen lekker! And it will be even better on the bike as I keep forgetting my keys in the bike (stupid I know) but also, when in the bundus this will still be awesome, you cant lose a key stashed deep in a jacket pocket. While its a mission to keep taking keys in and out of pants pockets with a huge risk of them falling out or something else falling out of that pocket when you take the key out. Murphy also states you will remember to take your keys out after putting your glovers on.

Reliability sounds stupid, I have not heard of one failure on any brand of car. ITs easy tech.

Lots of pushback on this, I do not understan why.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online TheBear

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 11:46:50 am »

No pushback.  Our Ford have this.  Nice, but I really do not see enough advantage to add a coupe of thousand ZARS to the price of a GS for it. 
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:52:07 am »

No pushback.  Our Ford have this.  Nice, but I really do not see enough advantage to add a coupe of thousand ZARS to the price of a GS for it. 

Aag, what does a few thousand more make a difference!! haha

Offline Twister

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • CRF1000, KTM950SE, KTM500EXC
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 08:13:35 pm »
I would love to have a keyless option on my bike, put the key in your pocket and forget about it.

Rode a Harley with this feature and realy liked it.

Online TheBear

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 11:50:52 am »
I would love to have a keyless option on my bike, put the key in your pocket and forget about it.

Just don't drop it!  You may find that, at your next fuel up, 350km away, the bike won't start again.

I prefer the key.  Put the key in the ignition switch and forget about it.  Also, great positive, I cannot go anywhere without it and find out about that much, much later!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:52:59 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 01:19:30 pm »

Just don't drop it!  You may find that, at your next fuel up, 350km away, the bike won't start again.

I prefer the key.  Put the key in the ignition switch and forget about it.  Also, great positive, I cannot go anywhere without it and find out about that much, much later!

How will you drop it if you never took it out of your pocket?

the idea behind this is missed...

Online TheBear

• Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 02:07:18 pm »

The idea is not missed at all (you would think I am an idiot!), but hey, your cash, your bike.  Whatever floats your boat.

I don't like the idea.  That is my opinion, so my bike, bought with my cash, won't have that feature.

In the end, who cares?  Enjoy your bike, the way you like it.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:39:58 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 03:37:26 pm »

The idea is not missed at all (you would think I am an idiot!), but hey, your cash, your bike.  Whatever floats your boat.

I don't like the idea.  That is my opinion, so my bike, bought with my cash, won't have that feature.

In the end, who cares?  Enjoy your bike, the way you like it.

Eish no one said you are an idiot. I just pointed out a flaw in your argument. In other word you will see the light of day or change your argument and I will see light of day. But okey, like you said, enjoy your bike the way you like it

Online TheBear

• Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 01:10:24 pm »
Eish no one said you are an idiot. I just pointed out a flaw in your argument. In other word you will see the light of day or change your argument and I will see light of day. But okey, like you said, enjoy your bike the way you like it

And I didn't say anyone called me an idiot. 

The flaw in my argument, as pointed out by you, is only valid if you can guarantee that you have and never will lose the remote.  I can't, so for me, the argument is 100% valid.  I would prefer that the vehicle and myself are within a few meters of where I  misplaced the key, rather than 300 or so km away.  Now, we can debate until we are both out of breath, but I can bring you a dude who, with a very expensive SUV, after fueling up at Three Sisters, found that his remote fell out of his pocket when he got into said SUV in Mosselbay.   Rather uncomfortable.  Rather expensive. 

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 02:39:56 pm »
I do not think the bike will start without the remote being in close vicinity to the bike. My car certainly don't

Online TheBear

• Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 02:55:16 pm »
I do not think the bike will start without the remote being in close vicinity to the bike. My car certainly don't

Try this Jan.  Start your car with the remote at hand.  Then leave the remote behind and drive off.  See how far you go before the car cuts out.   Some cars (assuming bike may be the same) will not die.  They will keep running as a safety (during hijacking for instance) feature.  It will only refuse to start the next time you try to start.  By then, you and the remote could be a long way apart from each other.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 03:04:37 pm »

Try this Jan.  Start your car with the remote at hand.  Then leave the remote behind and drive off.  See how far you go before the car cuts out.   Some cars (assuming bike may be the same) will not die.  They will keep running as a safety (during hijacking for instance) feature.  It will only refuse to start the next time you try to start.  By then, you and the remote could be a long way apart from each other.

I can see that it could lead to a very uncomfortable situation if this is the case, will check it this afternoon.

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 03:08:24 pm »
How does it deal with the steering lock?

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 03:09:38 pm »
One of those solutions which never had a problem in the first place.

I guess it does provide a coolness brag factor though.